Torsion Bar Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torsion Bar Questions

1997XLTRollover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 AWD 5.0
Ok guys I've been reading for hours and I can't find the answers I need. The question I have is what the heck is spring code "A F". From what I read I think the F is a heavy duty spring in the rear but it looks like the A for the torsion bars is a Ranger code? Where do A and F fall on the list of most stiff to least stiff?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody? Guess no on else ever had an A bar before?

A is the 3rd stiffest spring rate for the torsion bars. I believe it goes 1, 2, A, B, C... At least that's what I read somewhere on here many years ago.

Ok I guess that's good, stiffer would have been better but I guess it could have been worse. I should be able to get some decent lift out of them then.

Where are you located? I have some 1 bars I'd give away.

where are you located? I have some 1 bars i'd give away.

nj 08802

EDIT: Would the 1 bars really give me much more lift? I mean if the A bar will get me the max 2" lift that's really all I'm after.

I want a pair of #1 bars. What kind of shape are they in?

I think shipping would negate the cost of getting them for free. I was offering them to someone local to avoid that person needing to go to a junkyard. Having said that, they are really simple to remove if you were to go to a junkyard. Look for a 4x4 Sport Trac for 1 bars.

Is it even worth upgrading to 1 bars for me? Will the 1 really net me that much more lift? I can't go beyond the 2" max TT because I don't want to start binding things up.

I got the bars out of a V8 ex and put in my 01 sport they are a bigger bar in size and stiffer I didn`t have to crank down the adjusting bolt to give me the same ride height , they are also the same size as in my 02 4x4 ranger . Does that give you some info ?

I got the bars out of a V8 ex and put in my 01 sport they are a bigger bar in size and stiffer I didn`t have to crank down the adjusting bolt to give me the same ride height , they are also the same size as in my 02 4x4 ranger . Does that give you some info ?

Well I know they're stiffer so will give me more height. What I'm asking is will the A bar give me 2" of lift, or will I need to get something even stiffer to get to 2". Because I'm only lifting my truck 2", so if I can accomplish that with the A bar, there's no point in upgrading really.

My problem is with my cars cranked I can't tell how close I am to this 2" lift. My A arms were replaced so someone was in there already and reset the bars.

I have a 96 4 door, does anyone know what their front fender to ground is when lifted 2" on a 5.0 AWD 4 door?

Back