• Register Today It's free!

Replaced the stock Sony speakers

txaggie

Reaction score
City, State
Plano, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer
For my birthday I decided to treat myself to new speakers in the Explorer. I have the Sony system, and decided that while it is nice, it doesn't truly excel the way I want it to. For the fronts I installed JBL GT7-96, which are 6x9" 3 way speakers. For the rear doors, I installed Infinity Primus PR6502is 6.5" 2 ways.

What I will say is that I was actually impressed with the Sony speakers that I pulled out (comparison pics below). They weren't made of paper, actual poly substance, and they had a nice weighted magnet. Certainly the best OEM speakers I have seen. The fronts were pretty close to drop it. However the rear speakers were not, and had to find an adapter to make them fit the spacer that Crutchfield sent.

Also, while I had the doors apart, I put a Dynamat-type noise insulation called Roadkill in the doors (the shiny silver parts). Best money I spent on the whole upgrade, will certainly do that to any car I own in the future. Not only does it help with the speaker sound, but it really does make a noticeable difference in the road noise coming through the doors.

As for the result, they make a huge difference. The tonal quality of the music is so much clearer and crisper. The stock amp actually does a good job. The old setup if I got past 50% volume, I could tell the speakers were really not giving much more. With these speakers, even at 80%+ they sound like they are ready for more.

Attached are some pictures from the project.

Attachments

• Speakers.jpg
    Speakers.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 2,267
  • StockvJBLFront.jpg
    StockvJBLFront.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 2,238
  • StockvInfinityRear.JPG
    StockvInfinityRear.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 2,264
  • FrontDoorWithSpeaker.jpg
    FrontDoorWithSpeaker.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 2,220
  • RearSpeakerMounted.jpg
    RearSpeakerMounted.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 2,233

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see you removed that piece of plastic when doing the front install of the sound deadener material, did you put it back on before mounting the door panel? How much was the Roadkill kit you purchased?

I see you removed that piece of plastic when doing the front install of the sound deadener material, did you put it back on before mounting the door panel?

Yes I sure did. The rubber cement came off in some places, but it went back in place pretty easilty.

How much was the Roadkill kit you purchased?

I bought the 12 sqft package for ~ $50 shipped. Wish I had bought more, but got a lot of good coverage in the door panels.

I ordered a 36sqft pack of GTmat Ultra for our cars for just $80 on eBay. I think 9sqft for each of our front doors will do good ;)

Nice upgrade, got the speakers and dynamat coming from cruchfield:D
There's a nice step by step on youtube on removing the door panel. Just type how to remove door panel on gen 5 explorer:thumbsup:

I ordered a 36sqft pack of GTmat Ultra for our cars for just $80 on eBay. I think 9sqft for each of our front doors will do good ;)

That sounds like a great price, and more than enough to completely cover the insides.

Nice upgrade, got the speakers and dynamat coming from cruchfield:D
There's a nice step by step on youtube on removing the door panel. Just type how to remove door panel on gen 5 explorer:thumbsup:

Easy to do, the only thing is that POP that you have to do to get the 8 or so connectors to let go of the door skin :)

What was the adapter you used for the rear doors?

Thanks!

What was the adapter you used for the rear doors?

Thanks!

The adapter for the rear doors was an interesting project. The plastic adapter that came from Crutchfield was the best they could do. It only barely lined up with the stock holes (had to drill one mounting hole in the door) and didn't come close to matching the Infinity speakers. The black plate that fits the speaker to the plastic adapter is called a closet flange. Yup, the plate is used to mount a toilet to the drain hole in a house, found in the plumbing section at your local Lowes. Fits the speaker perfectly with a couple of slots done with a dremel tool and a couple of holes. :D

Don't laugh, it worked great!!

Attachments

• Bracket.jpg
    Bracket.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 1,701

Any update on the sound of the speakers? My wife blew a front door speaker in her Limited today. I've not been impressed in the least from the Sony system.

Any update on the sound of the speakers? My wife blew a front door speaker in her Limited today. I've not been impressed in the least from the Sony system.

Much fuller sound. I just changed the front to the triax speaker and left the rear stock. The rear is coax already. I had to shift the sound balance a little further back too compared to the stock setup.;)

I think the aftermarket speakers really fill the car with sound much better. I was amazed with the Sony system as far as being able to push the JBL's and Infinity's. Wish I had done it sooner.

so do the front JBL's fit right in? (drop in) thx!

Same question. Any 6x9 is a basic drop in? Im looking at Some Focal 6x9's right now. Also wondering if you can hear the rears that much or if they are over powered by the fronts?

so do the front JBL's fit right in? (drop in) thx!

The JBL's were drop in. They fit the opening very nicely with no modifications necessary using the adapter bracket from Crutchfield.

Also wondering if you can hear the rears that much or if they are over powered by the fronts?

The rear speakers were late getting to me, so I did the JBL's initially with just the stock rear speakers for about a week. They completely overpowered the STOCK rear speakers. Once I got the Infinity speakers installed (which very closely matched the specs on the JBL's), everything balanced out very nicely.

The crutchfield website doesn't list speakers for the 2014 or 2015 Ford Explorer Sports. I had to search using 2013.

What size are the stock speakers in the rear doors?

The JBL's were drop in. They fit the opening very nicely with no modifications necessary using the adapter bracket from Crutchfield.

The rear speakers were late getting to me, so I did the JBL's initially with just the stock rear speakers for about a week. They completely overpowered the STOCK rear speakers. Once I got the Infinity speakers installed (which very closely matched the specs on the JBL's), everything balanced out very nicely.

I have a 2014 xsport with 401a package, i only see up front on speaker which looks to be a 6x9, i noticed on your pic the front left door shows another 6 1/2 and an opening for a 6x9 too??

No, the opening on the front door only has room for the one 6x9. The other opening is the access for the window and other internal parts of the door. There is a white piece of plastic that goes over that opening, I just hadn't put it back on yet when I took the picture.

No, the opening on the front door only has room for the one 6x9. The other opening is the access for the window and other internal parts of the door. There is a white piece of plastic that goes over that opening, I just hadn't put it back on yet when I took the picture.

lmao.............. on your fourth pic down, you see why i asked that, you have to look really really close because of the angle you took your pic it looks like a 6 1/2...... :bdrunk:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aggie, good photos. I have a set of Pioneer 4 ways that I was going to add to my 2015 Expedition but traded it in....ironically for a 2018 Explorer Sport. Good to know that I can use these 6X8's after all.

Back