More Engine Noise... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

More Engine Noise...

This is the dealer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just authorized the repair. They will replace the rear main seal free of charge, use full synthetic oil instead of a blend. The dealer will also consider changing my differential fluid free of charge to address the rear end noise.

Internals of diff have to get replaced in order to rid of diff noise. Don't get your hopes up that the noise will be gone.

Perhaps but he said that a fluid change could help for now

I have the diff whine with 66K miles. I did the fluid at 63K. Just as loud as before the fluid change when I bought it with 63K on it. No difference at all.

The dealer said that it might make a difference and if they do it for free, let them do it.

oh yes its good to change the fluid. Just don't have any hopes on less noise is all.

Yup but the rear end isn't my biggest worry at the moment

After I get these chains replaced, would I notice any difference in performance or gas mileage?

did it run smooth before and get 15 mpg or better?

It had a vibration and I was averaging 13.8 MPG

I am averaging about 13-14 mpg and I don't have the timing chain issue yet, but mine is full time AWD so that sucks up a mpg or two.

My average is below EPA MPG

the injectors on these engine have always been loud as well. I seem to hear more of the injectors than anything.

You sure you have a chain noise.

Hard to tell from the video for me...

The dealership diagnosed it as timing chains...it's confirmed.

Update....Ford was supposed to have the truck ready for tomorrow but some genius lost one of the tools and they had to order it.

Because the tool needed to be ordered, the truck won't be ready until next Tuesday.

In terms of the chains, the dealer told me the one was in severe shape and if I drove it much longer, it would have resulted in a new engine.

Just authorized the repair. . The dealer will also consider changing my differential fluid free of charge to address the rear end noise.

Some in here over the last few years have said that using "Royal Purple Full Synthetic 75W-140" gear oil has helped quiet the rear diff noise. It might be worth a try.

Sorry to hear it is the timing chain

We had a 2000 that we drove into the junkyard last week. I didn't feel it made sense to repair as the guides were shot. If the 2002 has a timing chain issue I would go with used motor, I can swap a motor, but not timing chains.

In my case, it made sense to repair the chains. A new motor was another $2,x.. + tax

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my case, it made sense to repair the chains. A new motor was another $2,x.. + tax

That's the key, and what is right for one may not be right for another. You have to go with what's right for you.

Back