Opinion 2015 Sport | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Opinion 2015 Sport

A week after I picked up my 2015 sport, I gave it the complete detail...wash, clay (skipped the polish) wax all griots stuff. I found 3 seperate paint defects...

Hi, everyone!

If you notice an issue with the paint on your Explorer, you should mention it to your dealership ASAP. Additionally, I'm here to do what I can to help as well; just send me a PM with your info and I'll get to work. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the all black '15 Sport and love it... I really like your interior though!

I also had a defect on the driver side passenger door above the wheel well... Buffer took it out at the body shop. Free of charge after they changed my Ford emblems to the black ones.

The dealership changed your emblems to black? if you don't mind me asking how much was that?did they provide you with the model numbers of the new emblems?

The dealership changed your emblems to black? if you don't mind me asking how much was that?did they provide you with the model numbers of the new emblems?

No they did not. I had an auto body shop do it.

I got them off of eBay from seller "downatthebuilding". 9" for the front and 7" for the rear. I believe they are factory repainted emblems and fit like OEM. Really adds a lot to the vehicle, as the blue looked rather weird.

attachment.php

OUCH !!!
Quality is Job #9999

Status on Paint Defect

Hey sgtdon, have you had a resolution on your white spot?

Sorry I have not been on the forum, I caught what ever is going around and was down for a few days. Viral infection, so it had to run its course. Still very tired but feeling a little better.

Talked with Sales Rep and body shop. I decided to have them put the info in my file and not do anything at this time. I really do not want them sanding it down to the metal and re-painting over factory paint job. They told me there is a chance it might make it worse. I really do not want to take the chance.:(

Other than that my new Sport is great!! I think this is one of the best cars I have ever had, I love this Explorer Sport. Also I put my Weather Tech floor matts from my 2013 into the 2015 and they fit pretty good. A little space on the left side where the foot rest is but only about an inch, no biggy when you consider it will catch all the stuff your shoes bring into the vehicle and keep it contained.

I noticed Ford jumped in on the topic about factory defects in paint. Anybody PM them and what did they say about guaranteeing the fix? I would still like to get it fixed but I really am concerned that it may make it worse.:help:

I still have a couple local guys telling me that I should try the colored wax for my car. I still can only find the stuff for black cars, nothing for red. I really do not know if I want to try it?

Also since the defect is under the clear coat nothing will cover it up. If Ford could guarantee that it would fix it 100% I would do it. But I do not think they can, it is a shame because I have had so many compliments on the color not only from friend and family but people on the street.:(

All I have ever seen in colored wax is black. Even if it was available in Red, there are an awful lot of shades of red.

Cover it with a dab of fingernail polish or touch-up paint.

Tony

As I posted earlier, I would just leave it alone. Anything you do to try and mask it is going to be sitting on top of the clearcoat.

Peter

as i posted earlier, i would just leave it alone. Anything you do to try and mask it is going to be sitting on top of the clearcoat.

Peter

+1

Yes, you are right Peter. Even the body shop guy told me it would be on top the clear coat and would probably come off after a car wash or two.

I tried the Red Sharpie and it looked like crap so a cover up will not work.

Unless Ford has come up with some kind of new way to guarantee they can fix it, I am going to leave it alone, I guess.

So my car is now 99% perfect instead of 100%. That is still better than 98%:D:D:D:D

Thank you Halwg, I will try it .

Thank you everyone for your comments and advise.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Beautiful car! I just put a deposit on an almost identical Ruby Red used 2014 Explorer Sport. it has the 401A Nav package, All weather mats, center row buckets with console, dual moon roof(I like it ;)), adaptive cruise & trailer tow package class III. With 9K miles on it I negotiated $39K. Does that seem fair compared to your new price?

SgtDon -

Love the Ex! Sorry about the paint issue.

First mod I would do it swapping out the blue ford logo for either black or black/red. Makes it look really sharp. I did a black one with my black sport and it makes a huge difference in the look.

LMC13- The price does sound very good for a loaded 2014 Sport. I still have people complimenting me on the color combination.
GOOD LUCK.

Cloud9flyer- Yes I am checking into that now. After seeing some of the pics and checking on Ebay, the Black with Red looks really nice. :D

I love my Sport also. EVERYDAY I drive it, it gets better!:burnout:

My dealer is speaking to rep about possibly sending another painted bumper from assembly line to avoid any new painting and/or repair of existing. I'll let you guys know the outcome. I would like to post pics, but is the only way through URL? Running low on time, so if so, I'll have to post those later.

I know there is the key fob option for locking, but do you guys notice that when pressing the last two digits on keyless entry it doesn't work that great? I try to hit at the exact same time, but may take up to 3 or 4 times to get it to lock? My Raptor has phycial buttons and works great.

Also, I think my driver door striker may need some adjustment, as that particuar door doesn't close as easily as others? Anyone else have these problems?

Thanks.

I know there is the key fob option for locking, but do you guys notice that when pressing the last two digits on keyless entry it doesn't work that great? I try to hit at the exact same time, but may take up to 3 or 4 times to get it to lock? My Raptor has phycial buttons and works great.

My keyless entry pad works every time.

Tony

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My dealer is speaking to rep about possibly sending another painted bumper from assembly line to avoid any new painting and/or repair of existing. I'll let you guys know the outcome. I would like to post pics, but is the only way through URL? Running low on time, so if so, I'll have to post those later.

Also, I think my driver door striker may need some adjustment, as that particuar door doesn't close as easily as others? Anyone else have these problems?

Thanks.

Update...

Ford will only allow body shop to remove existing bumper with yellow spots under clear coat, repair/repaint, and then reinstall. I think I'll allow this, since the new paint is only applied to removed bumper with no risk of any overspray. Should take a couple of days.

As for the key pad...my fault, as you must hold last two touch buttons for a couple of seconds to lock all doors. I was use to my Raptor, where a quick hold worked. Everything works great now that I know about the slight hold to lock.

I"ll have the body shop look at door strike when they repaint rear bumper.

As for pics, is the only way to upload through URL only?

Thanks.

Back