Need help with v8 5.0 starter r&r & belt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help with v8 5.0 starter r&r & belt

NYC_BORN_N_BRED

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer 5.0
Hi guys, I'm new here but a long time lurker, I use the search function often, however, I can seem to find a good tutorial for starter r&r on a v8 5.0

The truck in question is a 1997 Eddie Bauer, it's got 200k miles on. So I hear the solenoid on the firewall clicking but starter doesn't spin. Banged it with a metal pole and no dice. I'm assuming it is in fact the starter unless I'm missing something. So I need a great r&r with many pics for the starter on a v8 5.0 , I've seen many for the v6 , but I can't seem to find one for the v8. It seems like I might need to access the starter from the fender.

Also. Is there a shorter serpentine belt where I can bypass the air condition compressor? The compressor clutch is locking up, I think there are bearings in there that are worn and the ac system hasn't worked correctly for years so I figured if I could bypass the compressor it's a home run. For me anyway. But when the clutch locks up the belt must slip and it burns and smokes and kills the belt.
I've already searched as much as possible so please don't tell me to search

Thanks guys.

Yes you can use a shorter belt to bypass the compressor, I had to use one temporarily earlier this year. You need an 83.5" belt - 835K6 should be the part number.

I can't help you on the starter issue, never had to touch mine.

Back