Picked up an '03 XLT...needs some work... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Picked up an '03 XLT...needs some work...

IIGood

Reaction score
City, State
Arnold, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer; 03 Mustang
A couple weeks ago I picked up a 2003 XLT and just took it for it's inspection today. I knew of some issues it has going into the inspection, but they found more.

Stuff I knew about:
Tires
Exhaust
Parking brake (doesn't work at all)

Additional stuff they found:
Upper control arms
Lower ball joint
Rear rotors

The shop quoted me about $2500 to fix all of that. I know I can do the exhaust (I actually have it on order anyway) and I can change the rotors.

It looked like they wanted about $500, P&L, to do the control arms and ball joint. That's just something I simply cannot do.

I'm wondering if there's any place that I can get those parts for a better price...I'm going to take it to another shop too that I usually go to with my other car and see if they can do any better price-wise for the labor.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rockauto.com and amazon.com, if you have prime membership in amazon shipping is free.

advanceauto.com is also competitive with the online coupons for online purchases and store pickup($40 off for $100 for example). you can also separate your purchases to maximize the savings.

I guess my next question is should I have the lower control arms replaced if the uppers are getting changed?

3 of the 4 ball joints will end up being replaced, so in my mind, why not at least change the 4th ball joint too...or should I just change out those entire assemblies?

I'm trying to figure out what to do overall with this truck. I picked it up for a song...it seems to be in good shape mechanically and only has these few issues with it. I'm trying to get it to be my second vehicle for winter and hauling and long trips (my main ride is a Mustang GT)...and I'd like to get it on the road without spending a ton.

I'm also thinking a brake job all around couldn't hurt. BTW, this one has 320,000 miles on it.

Why can't you do the UPC's and lower ball joints?

The parts were around $100 for my 2000 from Rock Auto. And that was for Moog parts.

Look up the how to threads and follow along.

It took me about 3 hours to do each side.

And yes, replace all 4 ball joints.

MT

Do it your self a little YouTube and rockauto goes alongggg way

I just checked Rock Auto and the parts for yours will be about $160.00.

MT

Taking parts to a shop usually yields no warranty on the work. Not necessarily worth the savings.

You can do this work yourself. By the parts where ever you want. $500 isn't a bad quote but definitely check a couple shops.

I will do the job for cheap if you want to come to PA!

Thanks all...I'm gonna hang on to it and if nothing else, just take my time getting these things taken care of. I've ordered the control arms from Rock Auto, I'm planning on going to AutoZone this evening for the brake stuff and a lower ball joint, and the exhaust system should be landing on my doorstep any minute now. The only thing left that I'd have to worry about after all that is tires, and there's nothing I can really do about that till I've got the dough for those. Maybe I can "borrow" the tires off my dad's '05...hmmm... LOL.

Control arms are easy to switch out as long as you have a basic mechanics tool set and a hammer. All of it is doable by yourself with a basic tool set and tools you can rent from autozone or advance auto. Just have to take it to the shop to get an alignment done when you are finished. For tires check out discounttiredirect.com since they offer free shipping on tires and they are sometimes a little cheaper than other places, or if you are in a pinch check out treatwrights

if you can do exhaust then do the control arms

Like people said here, see the youtube demos and make sure to get the press. And also a big F hammer.

The best tool I bought that has paid for itself many times over was the compressor and air tools. It just saves so much time and effort.

how much did you spend on this 2003? If I had a 2003 that needed this much work, is it really worth it?

BTW, this one has 320,000 miles on it.
Wow didn't think an 03 would make it that far. My Ex is falling apart at 150 and I've put way more $$ into it than its worth in the last 6 months(trans, intake manifold, rear differential, alternator, wheel bearings, struts and needs timing chains/guides now:thumbdwn: . But I like the truck don't really like the new ones(nothing more than a big car no longer a truck) and my ex is in excellent condition. Good luck fixing it up at that kind of mileage hopefully all the expensive things have been addressed by the previous owner

I've got the exhaust and rear brakes all taken care of...now just have to get the control arms, ball joint, and tires done. The control arm/ball joint work has been scheduled and then I'll be off to find tires.

The truck seems fairly solid otherwise...no surprises yet. I only picked it up for a grand so if I can get a year out of it, I'm good. It was previously owned by a business and the owner said they were putting all highway miles on it, a 100+ mile daily round trip.

Back