Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations

It seems to apply to all the Explorer steel wheels. A few years ago a member in Florida said they were around $300 each at that time. I guess that somewhat makes up for the higher prices on tires that we pay.;) Also, the center caps are listed as being $68 and change and the dealer only charged me $20 each.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It seems to apply to all the Explorer steel wheels. A few years ago a member in Florida said they were around $300 each at that time. I guess that somewhat makes up for the higher prices on tires that we pay.;)

Peter

In the spirit of neighborly love, we should all get together. You Canadians buy the wheels and we'll buy the tires!!!!

Tony

And we'll have a big get together (swap meet) at the border.:party:

Peter

Not sure about the Sport since the duct is used to help cool the turbos. If it was just there on other Explorers as part of the towing package I think it could be removed. Maybe some one will know for sure.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks,

mine are on. Waiting for storm Astro to hit!

Hey guys,

Been searching here for awhile and tons of good info. We have a 2014 limited with 20" polished wheels. We had our first dump of Alberta winter here and i've been searching for XLT 18" wheels to put winters on for awhile but no dice yet. I do however have a line on a set of 2013 18" MKX wheels. What i've been able to conclude is that these SHOULD fit as lots of ppl are using new edge wheels on their EX's. But have yet to see any 18" MKX wheels on our rigs. I'm assuming that because the MKX is the same platform as the edge and the edge wheels fit it should be all good right?? I am however a little concered about offset and the wheels being able to clear the larger brakes of the 2014. Planning on running a 235/65/r18 or 255/60r18 winter tire. Any info would be great, thanks.

Jason

Link to the same wheels i'm looking at:

http://www.allfactorywheels.com/products/2011%2d2013-Lincoln-MKX-18"-3852.html

Hi Jason. Are you looking at a used set of 2013 MKX wheels and tires? If not, why not just get the 18" steel wheels from your dealer like I did (see post301). I got them for $88 each and another member here got them for $85. I stay away from alloys due to reports of pitting and other Winter damage due to salt and materials that are put on the roads.
My OEM tire size is 255/45R20 and the Winters are 235/60R18. The diameter variance is only 0.23%. A narrower tire is better for snow. Assuming you have 255/50R20 tires now, a 235/65R18 would be an almost perfect match with a variance of only 0.04%.
No snow in the Ottawa area yet.

Peter

Hey Peter,

Yes I am looking at used mkx 18" polished alloys but new tires and tpms sensors. Those interceptor wheels might still be a possibility but I'm just not crazy about the black wheels. Really still want it to keep alloys on it just not my nice wheels. Am i wrong to think those will fit?

So I just put the winter wheels/tires on last night. I didn't program the new TPMS sensors yet, and noticed that I don't have any warning lights on the dash after the 20 mile trip to work. Can I assume the new sensors are working and nothing more needs to be done? Hoping to return the $35 reprogramming tool if it's not needed.

Tony

Hi Jason. Are you looking at a used set of 2013 MKX wheels and tires? If not, why not just get the 18" steel wheels from your dealer like I did (see post301). I got them for $88 each and another member here got them for $85. I stay away from alloys due to reports of pitting and other Winter damage due to salt and materials that are put on the roads.
My OEM tire size is 255/45R20 and the Winters are 235/60R18. The diameter variance is only 0.23%. A narrower tire is better for snow. Assuming you have 255/50R20 tires now, a 235/65R18 would be an almost perfect match with a variance of only 0.04%.
No snow in the Ottawa area yet.

Peter

Need some of you guys in Canada to Ship us some Police Steelies. The price on them here is over $175 a wheel.

Ill buy mag wheels for that price.

With China buying most of the U.S. scrap steel and then we buy it back from them, no wonder steel is higher in the U.S. than in Canada which doesn't send the majority of scrap steel oversees.

Hey Peter,

Yes I am looking at used mkx 18" polished alloys but new tires and tpms sensors. Those interceptor wheels might still be a possibility but I'm just not crazy about the black wheels. Really still want it to keep alloys on it just not my nice wheels. Am i wrong to think those will fit?
I can't say for sure if they will fit but I'm guessing they should. You can try contacting a local Ford Lincoln dealership's parts department and check with them. That is what I did before getting the Ford 18" Interceptor wheels to replace the OEM 20" on my MKT.

Peter

So far, I'm well pleased with the Cooper Weather-Master WSC tires. They have the aggressive tread that I was looking for, and for the tread pattern, are very quiet. Not as quiet as the Michelin Latitudes but much quieter than the AT tires I used to run on my other Explorers.

We have had some snow and cold temps and the tires seem more responsive than the AT tires. I think they would get rather hard in cold weather, and you could tell it in the ride. It's early in the winter season, and my opinion may change, but right now, I think this was a good decision.

Got 'em on. Nothing to write home about, but they look pretty good. Blizzaks aren't too loud. Haven't had a chance to try them out on the snow/ice yet though.

Winterwheelsamptires2_zps4d5554c4.jpg

Alastair

I did not get my tires from the dealer, I purchased them from Costco.
I ordered the rims from the dealer p/n DG1Z 1015 A @ $84.95 ea
4 x TPMS BB5Z-1A189-A – 315 MHZ (there are 2 different TMPS I think they use
the 9L3Z-1A189-A – 433 MHZ in the 2015 the dealer will let you know)
4 x Blizzak DM-V1 235x65-18 from Costco for $1042.67 taxes in
20 wheel nuts http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheel-Cover-Retaining-Nut-6W7Z-1012-CA-F8AZ-1012-AA-/350500259979
4 Centre Caps F87 1130GB $20.00

Took the rims, TMPS and nuts to Costco when the Blizzaks came in, they mounted everything and put my summers in the rear of the Explorer.

Since then I have chafed the rims twice myself.

Brian

Thank you Brian,

I talked to a Mississauga Ford dealer parts man. He said the Centre Caps F87 1130GB is for 2012 Explorer, and the price is $24 before tax. He don't know if it will fit my 2014 Explorer XLT and I can't return them if they don't fit.

I am little bit worry about the quality of those ebay lug nuts. Do you think they are good quality?
Can you post a picture of your cap in your rim? thx.

Alastair

I did not get my tires from the dealer, I purchased them from Costco.
4 x Blizzak DM-V1 235x65-18 from Costco for $1042.67 taxes in

Brian
You may have done better through the dealer on the tires. I paid $971.18 including tax for the same tire and size.

Peter

You may have done better through the dealer on the tires. I paid $971.18 including tax for the same tire and size.

Peter

Peter

That was a good price, $70.00 less than i paid. At the time I did check with the dealer and there where more.

Brian

Thank you Brian,

I talked to a Mississauga Ford dealer parts man. He said the Centre Caps F87 1130GB is for 2012 Explorer, and the price is $24 before tax. He don't know if it will fit my 2014 Explorer XLT and I can't return them if they don't fit.

I am little bit worry about the quality of those ebay lug nuts. Do you think they are good quality?

As requested, here are the pictures.

This will be my second year using the lug nuts I purchased from Ebay, I had NO PROBLEMS with them the first year.

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_0132.JPG
    IMG_0132.JPG
    261.2 KB · Views: 691
  • IMG_0133.JPG
    IMG_0133.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 685
  • IMG_0134.JPG
    IMG_0134.JPG
    373.6 KB · Views: 675

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you Brian,

See also post 301 in this thread for my before and after pics. I also have the FB87Z*1130*GB Covers (center caps) on my Ford 18" steel interceptor wheels which replace the OEM 20" wheels. They list at $23.54 each but were sold to me at $20 each.
I think I read a post by Sgt1411 that the lug nuts from eBay did not do as good a job as the OEM ones in holding the covers securely. I am unable to locate it right now.

Peter

Back