• Register Today It's free!

BLIS almost worthless

Tony407

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Sport
Been noticing that my BLIS warns me when a car is in my blind spot when often, there's not. Also, although not as often, it doesn't warm me when there IS a car there. I'm about ready to shut it off.

Anyone else experiencing any issues?

Tony

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've noticed a few false positives, but never no alert when a vehicle was in my blind spot. I'd have the dealer check it out.

Been noticing that my BLIS warns me when a car is in my blind spot when often, there's not. Also, although not as often, it doesn't warm me when there IS a car there. I'm about ready to shut it off.

Anyone else experiencing any issues?

Tony

Hi Tony,

As Lewisra recommended, I'd have your dealership check this out. If you don't want to make a special trip, you can always bring this up when you're in for your next maintenance appointment. If you decide to head in to your dealer, let me know and I'll escalate this to your regional customer service manager.

Crystal

BLIS will sometimes pick up other objects along the roadside. This is normal. I also install the 2" convex mirrors which I find are a more useful item.

Peter

The BLIS on my 2013 Taurus operates in pretty much the same manner. I don't trust it. Always look. Don't get me wrong it can be useful just don't 100 percent rely on it.

I agree, the BLIS system is worthless as implemented by Ford. I always have to look over my shoulder which is a habit anyway. My light only comes on when a car is close to my rear door. If a car is at my rear fender and in my blindspot the light doesn't come on.

The first time(and last time) I trusted the BLIS almost caused an accident.

bigmoose15, it would seem that your system is not working the way it supposed to. According to the Owner's Guide, BLIS® aids the driver in detecting
vehicles that may have entered the blind spot zone. The detection area is on both sides of the vehicle, extending rearward from the exterior mirrors to approximately 10 feet (3 meters) beyond the bumper. The system alerts you if certain vehicles enter the blind spot zone while driving.

Peter

I'd advise anyone to not use BLIS as a definitive answer as to whether it's OK to change lanes or not.
You still need to look in the mirror.. it's not a mirror replacement.
If the BLIS LED is lit, I don't pull over and still look in the mirror. If it's not lit, I still do a mirror check to make sure it's OK.
Mine seems to work fine as long as I use it to supplement my mirrors, not replace them.

^:thumbsup:

Peter

BLISS side mirror alert

I have a question regarding our 2014 Explorer XLT BLISS side mirror alert. The side view mirror alert is alerting us to late in my opinion. The car driving up on our left side is already past the rear of our Explorer when the alert signal goes off in our mirror. Can this be adjusted to alert us when the car in the left lane is still behind our Explorer?

+2 on Bryceb's post.

I've noticed that mine will indicate a vehicle when it's well past(behind) the rear bumper. I've also noticed that I've had some false positives(like retaining wall). My wife's CX9 does the same thing.

bobg1949, I have moved your post to this thread. As for your question, NO, there is no adjustment to the BLIS system. Your Owner's Guide shows the area in which the BLIS radar works. I have also explained it in my post #7 above. It is what it is.

Peter

I love the BLIS system. I get a few ‘false positives’ but don’t think I’ve ever had it not show when someone was in the ‘zone’. As mentioned, I don’t snap over into the other lane trusting only on the BLIS system but if I had I don’t think, to this point in time anyway, it would have ever caused an accident – meaning no ‘false negatives’.

I still think the BLIS package of BLIS, CTA and inflatable rear belts, is the best bargain offered in all the options. Until I got the BLIS system, I tried to pick parking spaces that allowed me to drive through one space into the space in front. This allowed me to front out of a space rather than backing out. But with CTA, I catch myself doing the opposite since leaving the back of the car open makes access to the hatch easier. CTA has also had a few false positives but I've never been surprised by a 'unseen' car in a parking lot.

Oh, there's an easy improvement that could be added to BLIS. It would be really nice if there was a chime if the blinker was actived on the same side where the BLIS light is on. If this was done at speeds above, say 10 mph, this would be an audible warning that there's a car in the space when the drive is trying to change lanes.

I agree with that 100%. ^^

Peter

Oh, there's an easy improvement that could be added to BLIS. It would be really nice if there was a chime if the blinker was actived on the same side where the BLIS light is on. If this was done at speeds above, say 10 mph, this would be an audible warning that there's a car in the space when the drive is trying to change lanes.

How many people do you see signal before they start to change lanes if they even signal at all!

I also agree. My wife’s CX9 beeps(not obnoxious) if the blind spot light is on and you turn on your blinker.

Since the BLIS can't be adjusted I started playing with the mirrors and ended up with a decent enough solution. The mirrors are set so that the BLIS light turns on just before the rear of a typical car disappears from the mirror and turns back off just after I can see the car out the front window.

The BLIS light/mirror has nothing to do with when the system activates. The radar unit that sends the signal. See page 261 of the 2014 Owner's Guide (3rd print) for a diagram of its location. The system uses radar sensors which are located behind the bumper fascia on each side of the vehicle. Do not allow these areas to become obstructed by mud, snow or bumper stickers, as this can cause degraded system performance. The adjustment of the mirrors has no effect on the BLIS system. The light is merely and indication that the radar unit has picked up an obstruction.
The area it senses is explained in my post #7 in this thread.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think what TheBigYahi meant was that he(she?) adjusted the mirrors in such a way that the BLIS activates when the vehicle is in the blind spot. The activation zone didn’t change, just how the mirrors were positioned to provide the best use of the BLIS without significant overlap. Does that make sense?

Back