The Red Bomber | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Red Bomber

So I sold my 03 ranger and it was a sad day. I had been looking for something slightly more family friendly and still capable (with a little help of course) and I had my eyes out for a first gen in good running shape.

Well the search went on for several months, when a red sled came up for sale almost 400 miles away but it would give me a chance to visit family. However, it disappeared and I thought nothing of it. It magically reappear on a consignment auction slightly closer (350 vs 400 miles). So I contacted the owner.

Come to find out this is a 2 owner truck that was purchased by the former owners mother in '93 and then when she stopped driving, he bought it and drove it for the next 6 years.

I probably gave a little much for it but the story was right and every thing but the passenger rear window seems to work. (Even still has a factory radio :eek:)

So the specs:

1993 XLT 4 door
5 speed (yup, no conversion needed)
4.0 OHV (I know you could have anything so long as it was 4 liters)
3.27 gears
ALL STOCK:thumbsup:
Only a touch of rust behind the running boards under the rear doors.

The plans now are to have a capable wheeler (already have an air locked D44 waiting the in the wings)

So here it is:

20141103_183700.jpg

20141103_183712.jpg

What is that hiding behind the steering wheel?
20141103_183731.jpg

A stick!!!!
20141103_183755.jpg

The engine (already have put almost 500 miles on the truck and been making 20+ mpg cruising around 65 mph) and it needs a bath!
20141103_183835.jpg

The work right now will be a new thermostat housing (thanks Turdle it looks awesome) and some investigation as I think it needs a lower intake gasket.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I had been watching an "leak" that I wasn't quite sure about. I figured out it was oil. I kinda thought it needed an lower intake manifold gasket, so I started tearing it down. Once I got everything out this is what I found.

Just a touch of carbon...(I gently cleaned and removed what I could)
DSCF4252.jpg

Everything was very clean with few deposits so :thumbsup:

Since I had torn everything down I went through the fuel rail and replaced O-rings and the gasket.
DSCF4244.jpg

Still just a little dirty but WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY better than were it started
Got it parked back in place definitely remembering to put the RTV in the bridge area and near the water jackets.
DSCF4254.jpg

The valve covers looked very good but had a little missing paint so I cleaned them up and scuffed the loose paint off and slightly sanded them and hit them with some high temp flat (overkill and you have to be careful not to scratch it but it is serious flat)

DSCF4241.jpg

Finally after 5 hours of cleaning and wrenching...

DSCF4261.jpg

And that super flat valve cover hiding out...
DSCF4264.jpg

The offending gasket...kinda think luck was on my side it looks like this guy was on his way out. The front bolt seemed loose to so that didn't help.

DSCF4260.jpg

All I have left is replace the return line on the heater core and fill it up with anitfreeze and pat it on the back and get all the burps out :D

The left overs
DSCF4258.jpg

The once this is all done the next project awaits after some junk yard shopping.

Little bit of cow skin from a 97 (once they are cleaned and conditioned, they will be awesome, cheap too...)

Still looking for a good set of leathers for the front:)

DSCF4266.jpg

It is amazing how much stuff has to come off in order to get to the lower intake off. I read and re-read your thread and a couple others before even turning a wrench.

BTW, there is another really nice set at the JY in a 2000 mounty...

I have been tempted to replace the rear seats, to match the front leather seats many times. It is used as a work truck and hauls tools & materials all the time. That use has stopped me from doing it. Someday maybe!

Think you can get the SAS done by spring? Moab 2015 is calling me, maybe we can caravan out there together. :D

Nice find! May want to check if the rubber plugs on top of the transmission have been replaced with steel freeze plugs and while you are in there might as well replace the shifter bushings especially if it is sloppy.

Nice find! May want to check if the rubber plugs on top of the transmission have been replaced with steel freeze plugs and while you are in there might as well replace the shifter bushings especially if it is sloppy.

You read my mind that is on the list as well. Are you talking about the shift rail bushings? (You wouldn't happen to have the plug number handy for the freeze plugs? If not the search feature is my friend :D) I know the shifter needs the repair kit. It is fairly sloppy but extremely smooth.

One other thing I think this truck has the metal ????(it is the little solenoid thing that connects to the evap canister) Never mind, it is the evap purge solenoid...

Also were 93s ever offered as sequential fuel injection or EGR (this truck does not have either)

The Dorman metal plugs (PN 555-108) to replace the rubber plugs.

Use a bit of RTV around them to seal them tight. 3/8" socket works good to tap them straight in.

I have been tempted to replace the rear seats, to match the front leather seats many times. It is used as a work truck and hauls tools & materials all the time. That use has stopped me from doing it. Someday maybe!

Think you can get the SAS done by spring? Moab 2015 is calling me, maybe we can caravan out there together. :D

That may be a little ambitious as I have a bathroom to work on as well....(construction takes to much thinking for me).

But on the other hand the rear seats are installed. (Pictures tomorrow maybe) and I scored the rest of seats for front; a pair of heated seats from a 2000 Limited. They are dark grey but what the heck. The price was right and they are in pretty decent condition. They are memory but I am not going to hook them up to have it. Maybe later down the road :dunno:
DSCF4269.jpg

Then I want the installation to look as hidden as possible so this is where I am:

DSCF4275.jpg

Yea I kinda got carried away looking for the wire for the power seats after it comes through the firewall. A lot of the removed parts were unnecessary but I will get some cleaning done and I need to replace the vent on the drivers side.

So with all the hubbub, I found the wire dead ended in a plug under the dash. The pictures kind of explain were it is. I ran a continuity test from the power seat location in the power distribution and BEEEPPPPPP!!! So Houston we are go!

The heavy green wire is the power from the power distribution box under the hood. It goes no farther than this.
Wire_Location_1.jpg

The grey plug is right above the main body connector on the fire wall.
Wire_References.jpg

The power seat fuse location.
DSCF4274.jpg

So now I will need to find an Ignition source for the heaters and will have it.

Alright so after a couple days work I got all the wiring run for the power and heat and while I was there I pull the carpet up to work on the shifter since it was terribly sloppy. I found once I had it out the boot was torn on the shifter allowing dirt to get in the tranny (not good.) Also the rubber plugs were on the list to replace with freeze plugs (thanks [MENTION=87244]gmanpaint[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1644]Brian1[/MENTION] for the part numbers)

This is the before:
DSCF4279.jpg

This is the frozen and rebuilt after:
DSCF4284.jpg

The difference is unbelievable. You can actually find the gears. It also didn't help that the Wedge for the shifter was not properly installed. All is well now on that front. While I had it apart I also, gave it some fresh transmission fluid.

Then finally got back to installing the seats. And wouldn't you know it I now need the seat belt track for a second gen to get the seat belts installed:(

But for now here is what I looks like:
DSCF4285.jpg

DSCF4287.jpg

I seem to remember having to swap those seat belt tracks when I installed the 2nd gen seats also. I think they are a simple bolt on/off swap. :scratch:

Kudos on the trans work. :thumbsup:

Might wanna change the slave fluids out as well. Makes a huge difference in shifting with new juice. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice x

Back