• Register Today It's free!

Whine in front end.

billcucc

Reaction score
City, State
Medfod, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ranger 4WD
My truck. 1998 ranger 4x4. 140,000 mi. Manual trans.
A high pitch whining has developed in the front end. The whine is the same regardless of which gear the truck is in. When shifting into neutral and drifting the sound does not change. The whine starts out as a rumble and increases in pitch as the speed increases. As the speed increases the loudness of the whine decreases. The sound gets louder on right turns and almost vanishes on left turns,

Thanks for your help with this.
Bill

Wheel bearings? The 'rumble' description and louder on turns makes me think that.

I second wheel bearings. I would suggest getting AVM hubs if you find one of the wheel bearing to be bad. If it is just the needle bearing that support the axle. I think those can be purchased new from NAPA i would have to dig for a part number. Regardless it is time to regrease those needle bearing for the front hubs.

wheel bearings

Thanks Ranger Guys,

I am going to do it today. I can look up the part number on NAPA's web site.

This truck has been through hell and back. Baja, evil gold mining roads in Oregon...And it keeps on trucking with only minor problems.

I hear that ford is no longer to sell Rangers in the US but will continue sells in other countries! Weird!

Thanks again,
Bill C

Back