• Register Today It's free!

02 XLS Camber Issue

BrentW

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, Ok
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 4x4
Ok.. When i got this vehicle the inside of all 4 tires had steel belting showing while the outsides of the tire had plenty of tread. I suspect they rotated front to rear on it because the rears set strait up. The fronts however dont and the passenger front is worse than the drivers. I have jacked it up and pulled on both front tires and they move slightly (probably wheel bearing play which I am going to address) but I suspect there is something else going on too. I know on my old 95 I had to replace both upper control arms because the bushings on them were dead. Does this one have the same setup? Or is there someplace else I need to look to adjust the camber on it? And is there a good diagram online of the front suspension on the 4x4? I keep finding ones that are for the sport. Thank you Ford for continuing the old explorer after making a new one. Brilliant for parts hunting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok.. Shame on me. I found a sticky thread for the ball joint replacement which shows me the suspension. Great pictures on that. Now I guess the question is do these have camber issues that are common and are easily fixed. I dont believe my ball joints are wore out and the front seems tight, just the camber is way off / \ like that.

This leads to my obvious question. Is this commonly needed? Why is it necessary? I would think something is wore out for my camber to be as far off as it is. Is there a common wear point in the front suspension on these models? I knew they made kids to adjust camber but I dont want to try and cover up the symptoms, I want to fix the actual problem.

Before you address negative camber, ALL other parts including control arm ball joints, bushings,
wheel bearings, etc., must be functioning properly before you can get an alignment within spec.

Back