For Sale - Ubolt & Shock Skidplates | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

For Sale Ubolt & Shock Skidplates

I have a pair of brand new U-bolt and shock skid plates specifaclly made for the rear of a 1st or 2nd gen Explorer. They are 1/4" plate and protect your u-bolts and raise the shocks up a few inches. These are made for 5/8" U-bolts which are bigger than the stock ones so if you dont have 5/8" ubolts now would be the time to upgrade. These may cause shock to swaybar mount interference so shocks should be mounted body side up or if you have removed the rear swaybar it is a non-issue. Also note these raise the shock up 2"-3" so shock length could be an issue depending on your lift and shock length.

Current price for a pair is $215 shipped to the US due to the high cost of steel right now.

attachment.php

ubolt skids (1).JPG

ubolt skids (2).JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Say Brian, I'd like to get a pair of them with the stock shock height.

How long are the bigger u-bolts, I do have 1.375" lowering blocks so I need a little longer than stock u-bolt?

Can you also do me a set of shackles for me as well, a stock length also?

Don, I don't have any pair with the stock shock location. I can make a pair but I'm not sure when that would be, maybe a week or 2 up to a month. Yes, I can also make some stock length shackles.

The u-bolts I use are about 10" long and I think the stock ones are about 8". You can cut u-bolts to fit usually to make them the exact length you need. With a lowering block you would need a longer u-bolt so yes. If your current u-bolts are working now with some threads sticking out of the nuts then they would also work with these new skidplates but I would recommend going to the larger diameter u-bolts anyway.

Let me know if you would still be interested and I can keep you posted on when I have a stock position shock skidplate available.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Don, I don't have any pair with the stock shock location. I can make a pair but I'm not sure when that would be, maybe a week or 2 up to a month. Yes, I can also make some stock length shackles.

The u-bolts I use are about 10" long and I think the stock ones are about 8". You can cut u-bolts to fit usually to make them the exact length you need. With a lowering block you would need a longer u-bolt so yes. If your current u-bolts are working now with some threads sticking out of the nuts then they would also work with these new skidplates but I would recommend going to the larger diameter u-bolts anyway.

Let me know if you would still be interested and I can keep you posted on when I have a stock position shock skidplate available.

That sounds great. I'm not in any hurry, I've just been putting off the job of cutting my old perch off(the left bolt seized in the perch).

I have the EE lowering kit, which came with longer and slightly better u-bolts than stock. I'll take the new bigger u-bolts and trim them slightly. Thanks, just let me know when you get close and I'll be here.:thumbsup:

Yes I have a pair to ship. You know your Explorer already has these though right? The only difference really is that mine flip the shock up and are made for bigger u-bolts. Let me know and we can set it up.

Yes. Looking to replace them.

They arrived yesterday Brian!

( I think I should let Robert know I am having something sent to his address BEFORE it arrives) :D

hey brian, do you have any of these available? i just ordered new shocks and it would be sweet to install these at the same time. tired of how low it hangs down now!

Finally went to the post office to pick these up, they are super beefy! Huge improvement. Will have to install them when when it warms up a little, waited too long to order these and now it's snowing! Thanks again.

Ditto Brain, I got mine a few days ago also. Great work, excellent welding and alignment of the pieces. They are very thick and heavy, I wonder what the thin stock pieces weigh. I'll have to cut one shock bolt off to remove mine. Thanks again.

Are you still making these?

PM sent.

Hey Brain do u have anymore for sale?

This is probably a dumb question, and doing so kinda defeats the "skid plate" purpose, but for a explorer/sport trac would these work for a SOA (Spring over axle) conversion as well?
(Im thinking of getting these now with a shackle, but then eventually doing the SOA conversion and using these by flipping & swapping them as the top plate to lower the shock mount to roughly stock location instead of raising it as it was with the stock SUA.)

Back