• Register Today It's free!

4x4 not working

Bapster

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLT
4x4 not working properly then got stuck in partial low and codes

Hi all,

I have a 1999 ford Explorer xlt. my 4x4 doesn't seem to be working, on my dash I have Auto, 4wd high, and 4 Low. When in the auto selection, then the front wheels kick in when needed, but when I switch it to 4 high, there is no clicking or clunking noises, but the 4wd high light appears on the dash. Same thing when I select 4 Low, the light comes on but it doesn't actually engage. a couple times, when trying the 4 low selection, the light wouldn't even appear on the dash at first, would have to try the switch a couple times, I did notice a few clicking noises behind the dash when trying 4 low, but no clunking noises and it acted as if "Auto" was selected. Any ideas if it would be the shift motor or something inside the t-case? Thanks guys, I really appreciate your feedback :)

- Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not to be smart, but you did have the truck in neutral with foot on brake when you tried to switch right?

When you say it acted like it was in auto, could you feel the front axle kick in after the rear tires broke traction?

Sounds like the shift motor.
There's some articles on fixing on the forum.

Sounds like the shift motor.
There's some articles on fixing on the forum.

I Agree and would start there. You should hear the motor and may hear a clunk. Sounds quite different than my 98 Ranger. I have the PVHs and no Auto setting. In fact I just locked my front axle a couple weeks ago since I was tired of my PVHs acting up. Sometimes they'd work and sometimes they didn't. Manual hubs will be installed very soon. Even when my axles didn't lock due to the hubs I'd still hear all the shifting and motor at the Tcase. Sometimes mine would take a couple tried for the motor to change the Tcase position. In my case the light would not stay on until the tcase completed shifting.

When you say it acted like it was in auto, could you feel the front axle kick in after the rear tires broke traction?

mr_valingo: Yes I can feel the front wheels kick in when needed in the "auto" position, but when I switch it to 4wd high, there is no difference. I tested an 01 Explorer xlt that we have on our lot, and everything works proper on that one, I could feel the difference when switched to 4wd high and when switched to 4 low.

To Flash and 4.0blue98: We have a spare shift motor at work that we will be swapping with later this week to see if it works...I was also thinking the shift motor, but wanted to hear from you guys about it forst to get your thoughts :)

When you pull the shift motor off the case, try then engaging 4high while the trucks in the air just to see if the motor moves. You can also then try manual shifting the case with some pliers then spin the shafts to see if it locks in

When you pull the shift motor off the case, try then engaging 4high while the trucks in the air just to see if the motor moves. You can also then try manual shifting the case with some pliers then spin the shafts to see if it locks in

Ok great, thanks for letting me know that...I will definately try both of those for sure. I was actually wondering if I could safely do both of those but wasn't sure, so thank you for answering that question for me :)

4x4 stuck in partial low and codes

Hi guys, I got my truck checked out after work today with our mechanic, and he tested the shift motor wires etc , did the pin out test I think he called it and said everything underneath seems to be working proper, but now the truck seems to be stuck in partial 4 low, speed wise it's as if the truck was in 4 auto, but when turning the wheels going around a corner, they seem to bind, at one point causing the o/d light to start flashing (until I restarted the truck). We ran the codes, and the codes it's giving is: P1867 & P1891. my question to all you guys is where do we go from here? our mechanic is thinking it has to do with either the selector switch or that module behind the dash and 4x4 selector. What do you guys think? I really appreciate the info...sorry for the long post, just wanted to make sure I could give you all the info needed in order to get your guy's feedback :)...thanks again guys :)

- Brian

Back