Exhaust Manifold repair tool "The Rocky Tool" - any experience w/product? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust Manifold repair tool "The Rocky Tool" - any experience w/product?

yoster

Reaction score
City, State
Clovis, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Eddie Bauer v8 4x4
Hey everyone,

I have a 2006 EB v8 with 91k miles.

A few years ago, when it was still under warranty, the dealership replaced the passenger side exhaust manifold.

Fast forward to today and I'm now getting the 'tick tick' from the driver's side. Joy.

I've been calling around getting some quotes and it's always the 'it depends on how it goes' line, which I understand. I'm going to want them to replace ALL 8 studs and replace with a stainless set they sell on Amazon as an upgrade option to supposedly permanently fix the issue.

Upon my googling, I came across this product that claims to turn this job from a 5-6 hour job to a 90 minute job. Has anyone used this?

Also, if I forked over the ~$300 for it, think anyone would want to buy it off me after that? Thinking if the tool works well we can pass it around the forum to help people out.

Link: http://www.promaxxtool.com/rocky.html

Interested if anyone has experience with it and if it actually helped.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey everyone,

I have a 2006 EB v8 with 91k miles.

A few years ago, when it was still under warranty, the dealership replaced the passenger side exhaust manifold.

Fast forward to today and I'm now getting the 'tick tick' from the driver's side. Joy.

I've been calling around getting some quotes and it's always the 'it depends on how it goes' line, which I understand. I'm going to want them to replace ALL 8 studs and replace with a stainless set they sell on Amazon as an upgrade option to supposedly permanently fix the issue.

Upon my googling, I came across this product that claims to turn this job from a 5-6 hour job to a 90 minute job. Has anyone used this?

Also, if I forked over the ~$300 for it, think anyone would want to buy it off me after that? Thinking if the tool works well we can pass it around the forum to help people out.

Link: http://www.promaxxtool.com/rocky.html

Interested if anyone has experience with it and if it actually helped.

I would definitely be interested in it. Without seeing more specifics the only concern I have is the plate only having three holes. I'm not sure which stud(s) broke on mine but if there's three in a row it looks like you're in trouble with this tool.

Yeah I noticed that too. If I see a lot of interest on this thread in my pass it around idea (at a cheaper cost than everyone buying it new) - I'll probably give them a call and run all our accumulated questions by them.

Here's their PDF/brochure for the product: http://www.promaxxtool.com/pdf/Pro Maxx Tool Brochure (Rocky).pdf

Since I just did this job on both of my sides myself, I think it's a great tool. You still need an air ratchet and a compressor which most of DYIers have. I had 4 out of 16 studs broken. Out of those 2, they were so stuck in the head, that after drilling them in the center and getting easy out in, they would not budge. I had to drill and tap the holes.
You will still need to remove the starter, and unbolt the motor and raise it of the mounts, especially for the lower bolts.

Did you say $ 300 for it ? Steep but still beats any estimate form a shop.

What they don't say clearly is all the other parts you should have to operate the "rocky tool"

They have special cutter, bolts, and extractors to use with that tool to make it work properly.

That being said that is still a great solution to the problem.

If you can reach put a punch to the end of the stud and hit it with a hammer or tap on the end of the stud to attempt to break the corrosion that has it "welded" into the head. Some type of impacting wrench is the best way to try and shake the bolts loose. PB Blaster or AeroKroil is your friend for getting those out.

Good Luck!

Back