Split Armrest Issue | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Split Armrest Issue

I am having the same problem. It is unfortunate that the tearing is happening at the poorly designed seam because of the imitation leather and lack of real stitching.

The tearing is occurring at a location that I would almost never touch. Not only am I not wide enough to even put my arm on the driver-side armrest at any time, but its not at a place I would put any weight on regardless if it was closer. Poor quality. this really needs to be addressed by Ford.

Are there any issues with me posting pictures to their Facebook page? I feel like if anything, people should know about Ford quality issues.

Also I am in the market for a new SUV / Truck within the next 6 months. Ford is currently my least favorite choice based on the obvious quality problems and increasing prices.

2012 Ford Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Agree totally jonredcorn, I've been looking around as well; definitely not looking at Ford after my recent experiences. I'll have the wife check on posting pics of the arm rest on FaceBook, good call. Best of luck on your search ... I was thinking H*#ndai or K$a; likely the same bs warranty but cheap enough that a guy wouldn't care as much haha
Cheers

Cbx1047; very interested on how you make out as well. Booked mine in to have it looked at a week before the factory warranty expired, unfortunately the earliest available booking was 2 weeks after the expiry. Dealer said Ford declined, considered it 'wear'. Regional Rep said the same; no 'known' issues related to the drivers armrest splitting so it's my problem.
Hope you have better luck than me :)

Did the dealer actually see the problem when you went in the first time or was it done over the phone? If the former, then in my opinion it should be covered since the warranty was still in effect when the issue was identified.
If you did take it in initially the dealer should have taken pictures of it to send to Ford for warranty approval.

Peter

Hi Peter, booked by phone; informed service of the defect and that warranty was due to expire. Informed that it would be fine because we booked prior to expiring. (even emailed pic's to Service and Sales Mngr's just to be safe).

When it finally got in, the service department said they needed the specific name of the person who told us that it would be ok because it wasn't (?!?) then they said they submitted it to Ford Canada and it was declined so there was nothing they could do. Pretty disappointing really.

Brittany and/or Kwasi, I think this is some thing that needs to be looked into.
The defect was reported and pictures sent while the Explorer was still under warranty. The owner can't be held at fault for the delay in getting the vehicle serviced if the dealer couldn't get an earlier appointment. This issue is not a new one and several Explorers have had to have the door panel replaced. It would seem to be a manufacturer's defect.

Peter

I am having the same problem. It is unfortunate that the tearing is happening at the poorly designed seam because of the imitation leather and lack of real stitching...

Hi jonredcorn,

I escalated this to your customer service manager (CSM). Check out your inbox for your case info. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Cbx1047;...
Hope you have better luck than me :)

I can see how this would be frustrating, 4Buckster. Please PM me your VIN, odometer reading, full name, and daytime phone number; I'll document your product feedback.

Kwasi

It would seem to be a manufacturer's defect.

Peter

It's not a manufacturing defect, it's a design defect:
pinching material basically to nothing to try to create a "seam" with the stupid "fake stitching" :thumbdwn:

Design or manufacture

Not certain if it's manufacture or design but based on the location I don't see how it can or would be considered "wear".

Explorer%20Armrest%202.JPG

Explorer%20Armrest%201.JPG

4Bucster
That is just what mine looks like, if you Google it under image the are many photos of the same problem.

Appreciate the tip Cbx, hope Ford finally admits the issue should not be placed their customer's when there's so many experiencing the same thing. Even on these forums there doesn't appear to be any parity; some people out of warranty indicate their dealer / Ford repaired their's -while others not. It's crazy.

... Even on these forums there doesn't appear to be any parity; some people out of warranty indicate their dealer / Ford repaired their's -while others not. It's crazy.

I understand your frustration, 4Buckster. I've added your latest post to the documentation. Please check your inbox; I've sent you the case number for your record. I’ll be here if you need anything within my scope.

Kwasi

I got a call from the Ford dealership that I took my explorer to for the drivers door armrest seam splitting. They said Ford would replace my inside door panel, but because it is out of warranty, (42000) my cost would be the deductible of $100. I told them I would and they should go ahead and order the door panel. So, if Crystal on this board who I have been in contact with regarding this issue had anything to do with this being resolved, thank you!

I got a call from the Ford dealership that I took my explorer to for the drivers door armrest seam splitting. They said Ford would replace my inside door panel, but because it is out of warranty, (42000) my cost would be the deductible of $100. I told them I would and they should go ahead and order the door panel. So, if Crystal on this board who I have been in contact with regarding this issue had anything to do with this being resolved, thank you!

Awesome news, cbx1047! Thanks for sharing your outcome with us. If there's anything I can assist with in the future, just give me a shout! :thumbsup:

Crystal

Thanks CBX, I'm really good to hear everything worked out for you.
Proof, I suppose, that it never hurts to put the extra effort in when you're right :)
Appreciate the update.

I know this was started a while back but thought I would add a plus one to the armrest tear in the exact same spot! I am also out of warranty!!

I am having the same issue with the separation as cbx1047 & 4Buckster.

I am having the same issue with the separation as cbx1047 & 4Buckster.

Have you been to the dealership for diagnosis yet, red1420? How many miles are on your Explorer? Let me know and I'll do some research.

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you been to the dealership for diagnosis yet, red1420? How many miles are on your Explorer? Let me know and I'll do some research.

Crystal

I have not. I have ~46K miles on my Explorer. I bought it CPO in April and noticed it a couple months after purchase.

Back