• Register Today It's free!

windshield washer pump

trump

Reaction score
City, State
Monongahela,Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
I have a 13 EXP that I bought six weeks ago as a certified pre-owned Ford.
the windshield washer doesn't work - front or rear.
there is fluid and it isn't frozen. The wipers come on but the pump doesn't work.
is there a fuse for the pump or can the pump be bad with only 26000 miles?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there is fluid and it isn't frozen. The wipers come on but the pump doesn't work...

Hi trump,

It sounds like it's time to bring your Explorer back to your dealership so they can get this repaired. Be sure to let us know if you decide to get it diagnosed and I'll look into ways to assist.

Crystal

Funny, I was going to write a post about this the other day. 2013 XLT. I have a similar problem, but worse. Mine is intermittent. Sometimes the washers work, sometimes they don't. Front and back. I can hear the pump is working when they don't spray. Next day I try them and they spray fine. Checked for kinks in the line and everything looks fine. I know when I take it to the dealer they'll work fine and dealer will think I'm crazy...sigh..add it to the list lol

there is fluid and it isn't frozen. The wipers come on but the pump doesn't work.
is there a fuse for the pump or can the pump be bad with only 26000 miles?
Do you have the Owner's Guide? There is a list of fuses beginning on page 322. It shows #4 (30Amp) as being for "Wipers, front washer". Fuse #82 (15Amp) "Rear washer". There is also a relay shown as number 44. Can you hear the pump trying to work? I'm assuming that if your front wiper works that the problem isn't fuse #4 since it seems to control both wash and wipe.
The above fuses are located in the box in the engine compartment.

Peter

I have the same issue. Waiting for my next oil Change to have ford take a look at it. I hear the motors when pushing button and nothing comes out front or rear

I only ever had that issue once with the driver's side and that was due to the nozzle freezing shut. After I put a trouble light next to it for a few minutes it thawed out and never had the issue again. Not having an Explorer to check out, can the rubber line be easily removed from the nozzle when the hood is open? If so, you could try pulling it off and then seeing if you can pump fluid out of it. If you can then it is an issue with the nozzles. The pumps is shown as listing for $33.36 on fordparts.com

Peter

.. I have a similar problem, but worse. Mine is intermittent. Sometimes the washers work, sometimes they don't...

Hi jwright4,

Let us know when you decide to go to the dealership for diagnosis. What's the current mileage on it?

I have the same issue. Waiting for my next oil Change to have ford take a look at it...

Good idea, screamercy; be sure to come back and post your results. I'll keep an eye on this thread in case you need additional help.

Crystal

I will be checking it out tomorrow. I know it's not a fuse because the wipers come on when the button is pressed. I had it rustproofed when I bought it last month. I am hoping the dealer might have hit the connector on the pump .It only has 26000 miles on it. I don't want to take it back to the dealer because I have $100 deductible on my extended warranty.

I will be checking it out tomorrow. I know it's not a fuse because the wipers come on when the button is pressed. I had it rustproofed when I bought it last month. I am hoping the dealer might have hit the connector on the pump .It only has 26000 miles on it. I don't want to take it back to the dealer because I have $100 deductible on my extended warranty.

26000 miles on a 2013 model should still be covered by the basic 3/36 Bumper to Bumper warranty. Ford warranty is transferable.
Check with a local dealer before you spend money on it.

Took back to dealer today. They found the washer pump to be bad. They had to order pump. Should be fixed soon.

Took back to dealer today. They found the washer pump to be bad. They had to order pump. Should be fixed soon.

It sounds like things are headed in the right direction, trump; come back and let us know when you're on the road again. :thumbsup:

Crystal

problem fixed

Dealer installed new washer pump under warranty . Front and rear washers are working ok

Dealer installed new washer pump under warranty . Front and rear washers are working ok

Awesome news, trump! I'm glad your dealership got this resolved for you. Thanks for sharing your results with us! :)

Crystal

I have the same thing on my 13 XSport with 20,000 miles. I can hear the pump trying and the wipers are going, just nothing coming out. I dont feel like trying to get to the reservoir myself as it seems you have to remove the front bumper.

I just called the dealer and set an appointment for Friday. Whats funny and actually a little annoying was the service guy I spoke to said to be careful what I put in the car, like rain x washer fluid because they have "junk" in them (he said cardboard) that will apparently clog up the screen on the pump. He said if they find debris they wont cover it under warranty. Sounds like he's already made his mind up on what it is. I told him he's crazy, that I've been using name brand quality washer fluids in all my cars since I started driving and never had that happen on any car. I added that this is my first brand new car and its happening. My BMW is 13 years old and everything works fine and I use the same washer fluid. I told him there's no chance I'm paying for this repair as I have not done anything to cause the issue. We shall see on Friday what tune they want to sing.

I have the same thing on my 13 XSport with 20,000 miles. I can hear the pump trying and the wipers are going, just nothing coming out. I dont feel like trying to get to the reservoir myself as it seems you have to remove the front bumper.

I just called the dealer and set an appointment for Friday...

Keep us posted on how things go at the dealer on Friday, Boostking. I'll be here if you need me to step in and help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

FordService;3368417...... I'll be here if you need me to step in and help. :thumbsup: Crystal[/QUOTE said:
I assume that help isn't bringing your wrench set over to help in removing the bumper.:D

Peter

I just called the dealer and set an appointment for Friday. Whats funny and actually a little annoying was the service guy I spoke to said to be careful what I put in the car, like rain x washer fluid because they have "junk" in them (he said cardboard) that will apparently clog up the screen on the pump. He said if they find debris they wont cover it under warranty. Sounds like he's already made his mind up on what it is. I told him he's crazy, that I've been using name brand quality washer fluids in all my cars since I started driving and never had that happen on any car. I added that this is my first brand new car and its happening. My BMW is 13 years old and everything works fine and I use the same washer fluid. I told him there's no chance I'm paying for this repair as I have not done anything to cause the issue. We shall see on Friday what tune they want to sing.

What is this scoop on not using RainX Fluid in the reservoir of Ford Explorer? I am hearing it for the first time. I have used that on regular basis in my Santa Fe's and now in ExSport? Am I not supposed to use that or what?

What is this scoop on not using RainX Fluid in the reservoir of Ford Explorer? I am hearing it for the first time. I have used that on regular basis in my Santa Fe's and now in ExSport? Am I not supposed to use that or what?

I'll let you know tomorrow after my appointment. I was just put off because the guy basically jumped right to the conclusion that by adding Rain X washer fluid I probably introduced debris from the container into the reservoir. I explained that the issue began before I added fluid, but regardless it should be a non issue. I only added fluid to see how low I was, and at that it was maybe a quart I added until I saw the fluid in the filler neck. I could understand if they found a huge amount of outside debris clogging it, but it was more about his tone and defensiveness without even a true diagnosis yet.

I have a feeling they will take care of it, but I'm not going in with a warm and fuzzy this will get fixed no problem kind of feeling.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keep us posted on how things go at the dealer on Friday, Boostking. I'll be here if you need me to step in and help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Thank you very much Crystal. I hope it doesnt come to that, but I always appreciate seeing your commitment to customer satisfaction. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Back