what to consider with new explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what to consider with new explorer

segen77

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport - Red
We are going to look at a new 2014 sport at the dealership. Is there any reason why we should go with the 15 over the 14 or is it worth it to save the $1500 difference. (not to mention the better financing) The only thing I'm aware of is the 3rd row is manual not power.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Class III trailer package is included, and body-coloured door handles, as well as the powerfold 3rd seats you mentioned. Maybe more things if you are located in the US?

Even if it was a wash, in my view, the 2014 has already depreciated another year the instant you buy it, if you consider its value when you go to trade it in later. Is that worth $1500? If it is, then you have paid $1500 less for a vehicle that is worth $1500 less. I don't see that as a real great bargain. But maybe my number estimates are off.

There are other process and production improvements that happen year over year as well (considering that earlier models are older) within the same platform, which has remained the same since 2011 for the Explorer. The reliability ratings in Consumer Reports show an improvement in reliability each year, and I would extrapolate that trend to include the 2015 model as well.

If you're not in a huge hurry, someone posted in another thread here that orders for 2016's (which will be the next platform) will be taken around March or April 2015, which might be something else to consider. Good luck segen77, I'm sure you'll get some other opinions to follow.

- Brian.;)

Brian, I posted that orders for the 2016 models will be taken starting November 19th, 2014. Production scheduling will begin on March 12th, 2015 with production start up to begin on April 20th. Keep in mind these dates are all subject to change. I'm guessing this means that they will likely be at dealerships around the end of June.

Peter

Hi Peter! Thank you for correcting that.
- Brian.

The Class III trailer package is included, and body-coloured door handles, as well as the powerfold 3rd seats you mentioned. Maybe more things if you are located in the US?

Even if it was a wash, in my view, the 2014 has already depreciated another year the instant you buy it, if you consider its value when you go to trade it in later. Is that worth $1500? If it is, then you have paid $1500 less for a vehicle that is worth $1500 less. I don't see that as a real great bargain. But maybe my number estimates are off.

There are other process and production improvements that happen year over year as well (considering that earlier models are older) within the same platform, which has remained the same since 2011 for the Explorer. The reliability ratings in Consumer Reports show an improvement in reliability each year, and I would extrapolate that trend to include the 2015 model as well.

If you're not in a huge hurry, someone posted in another thread here that orders for 2016's (which will be the next platform) will be taken around March or April 2015, which might be something else to consider. Good luck segen77, I'm sure you'll get some other opinions to follow.

- Brian.;)

I agree, this is correct.....if you're even considering the 2014 still you better get a lot more than $1500 off.

As mentioned there are many small improvements made behind the scenes that don't make the marketing materials......new assembly line processes, new part suppliers, new part upgrades to the same part in 2014. Tow package, body color handles, newer design cupholders to name a few.

At this point wait for a 2016.

I wouldn't buy the 2014 unless there were big bucks off. The 2015s have been out, so they should be giving big discounts on the 2014s. If not, buy the '15.

The price for package vs package is about a $1500 difference. From what I can tell they are speced the same with the tow package and all. The other big difference is 0% for 72 vs 1.9 which equates to about a $40-$50/month savings. that adds up to another ~$3000 in savings. Even if we wait till the 16's are out we would still get a 15 due to the savings at that point (ie finance and older year model savings) and we tend to like the styling of the current model a bit more than the new.

I appreciate the advice though

Back