Programming duplicate/extra key | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Programming duplicate/extra key

The Canadian and FCC numbers are missing from that. You never answered whether or not your Explorer is a US or Export model. Like I said if its an Export model it is very possible the keyless entry is not operating on the standard frequency used in the USA. If you provide me your VIN number I may be able to look up the proper part number for the key to see if it is the same as the standard USA model.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Canadian and FCC numbers are missing from that. You never answered whether or not your Explorer is a US or Export model. Like I said if its an Export model it is very possible the keyless entry is not operating on the standard frequency used in the USA. If you provide me your VIN number I may be able to look up the proper part number for the key to see if it is the same as the standard USA model.

thanks jmr061, here is my VIN#
1FM HK7D8 2 C G A10221

The standard North America FOB operates on 315mhz. Your Export vehicle keyless entry system operates on 433mhz. I can't locate the part number so you will have to check with a Ford dealer there. The North America FOB will not work with your vehicle. If I find a part number I will post it but you need an IKT that is for the Export model on 433mhz.

The standard North America FOB operates on 315mhz. Your Export vehicle keyless entry system operates on 433mhz. I can't locate the part number so you will have to check with a Ford dealer there. The North America FOB will not work with your vehicle. If I find a part number I will post it but you need an IKT that is for the Export model on 433mhz.

where do you get that information? maybe that's the reason why the remote that i bought from ebay didn't work, but it able to start the engine.

Your window sticker clearly shows your model is an export model and even says "export radio frequency" (whether that pertains to the stereo or receive freq for the TPMS I can not say.

Fordparts.com using your VIN states the TPMS receiver is 433mhz and that is what is used for the keyless entry receive.

Strattec who is the key manufacture has a PDF page dedicated to export market keys/fobs and clearly lists them as 433mhz.

It all fits and confirms my thought....a North American FOB will not work with your vehicle. You need one designed for the "export" market that is 433mhz.

where do you get that information? maybe that's the reason why the remote that i bought from ebay didn't work, but it able to start the engine.

I will say this, phone calls are free (except for your time). It won't hurt to call any and all dealers within reasonable distance and do two things:

1. Ask for the correct part numbers for your IKT, I see three potential part numbers listed. The dealer has access to look up which one is correct based on your VIN.

2. Ask how much to reprogram all your keys to your vehicle. This is a crapshoot. Some dealers might charge a hour or more labor, but by calling around, I had found a dealer that did it for $20. You may be surprised.

If nothing else, once you know the correct part number, you can then begin to search for your key online by the Ford Part Number.

the remote that i bought from ebay has this information

B**T-19H316-*
IC: 1788A-FWB1U793
FCC ID: CWTWB1U793

Your window sticker clearly shows your model is an export model and even says "export radio frequency" (whether that pertains to the stereo or receive freq for the TPMS I can not say.

Fordparts.com using your VIN states the TPMS receiver is 433mhz and that is what is used for the keyless entry receive.

Strattec who is the key manufacture has a PDF page dedicated to export market keys/fobs and clearly lists them as 433mhz.

It all fits and confirms my thought....a North American FOB will not work with your vehicle. You need one designed for the "export" market that is 433mhz.

thanks jmr061
that explain why the remote that i bought on ebay doesnt work on my vehicle. will plan to visit the dealer one day or wait until my next service to have the correct part number.

thanks jmr061
that explain why the remote that i bought on ebay doesnt work on my vehicle. will plan to visit the dealer one day or wait until my next service to have the correct part number.

You don't have to wait, just call any ford dealer, ask for the parts department, give them your VIN, and they will look up the correct part number in Fords database.

You don't have to wait, just call any ford dealer, ask for the parts department, give them your VIN, and they will look up the correct part number in Fords database.

i've already called them twice but what they are giving me is only the price... they don't even take your VIN# only model and year of the car... :) communication via phone call here is quite hard, but when you are lucky you will find good English speaker but dont have that luck yet. if you had a chance to work here you know what i mean. i will get back here as soon i got the correct part number of my IKT. cheers

finally got the part number from another emirates or dealer

RK164R8099
433mhz, 3 buttons

Key programming

Hello, I purchased a 3rd key off a well know auction site. I have 2 keys and was able to program it myself. It starts my 2014 Explorer but the remote buttons do not work.

Do I need to have a dealer or a locksmith programs this function? Or did I get a bad key? It's not from a Ford dealer. Any info would be appreciated

TIA,

JD

Hello, I purchased a 3rd key off a well know auction site. I have 2 keys and was able to program it myself. It starts my 2014 Explorer but the remote buttons do not work.

Do I need to have a dealer or a locksmith programs this function? Or did I get a bad key? It's not from a Ford dealer. Any info would be appreciated

TIA,

JD

Hi JD,

Welcome to the forum! I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep here; nice to meet you! I recommend giving the service manager at your local dealership a call; they'll advise you on the best next steps. Keep us posted!

Crystal

I believe that programming the car to accept the new key and programming the car to accept the new fob are two separate activities.

I also recall reading that at some point, the number of key off/on turns was increased to 8, all within 30 seconds, maybe less.

Best bet is to search youtube for fob programming similar to yours and watch how it's done. sometimes it's easier to see how its done rather than just reading about it.

Good Luck

Welcome to the Forum S-Works.:wavey:
It would be very helpful if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so that it shows in the margin when you post. Different models sometimes have different resolutions to certain issues. Depending on which model you have an Integrated Keyhead Transmitter is programmed differently than an Intelligent Access Key. When successfully programmed, according to the Owner's Guide it should have full functionality just like the originals.

Peter

I bet you bought one of those non oem keys off of eBay... Unlike oem keys you have to program the pats and fob separate.

Directions

IF YOUR BUTTONS DO NOT PROGRAM WITH THE ABOVE PROCEDURE OR AFTER PROGRAMMING BY A LOCKSMITH OR DEALERSHIP - THEN YOU MUST PERFORM THIS PROCEDURE TO PROGRAM THEM . Obtain all remote transmitters for this vehicle. It's not necessary to re-program your working remote head keys as those will continue to work. If you are programming additional non-remote head key remotes for your vehicle then they must all be programmed during this procedure. You are able to program up to Four remotes in addition to your remote head keys. Do not depress the brake pedal during procedure.

1. Turn ignition from OFF to RUN 8 times within 10 seconds, with the 8th time ending in RUN. Door locks will cycle to confirm programming mode. (Off is the position where you can remove your key, RUN is the postion just shy of starting your car.)

2. Within 20 seconds press any button on the first keyless remote to be programmed. Door locks will cycle to confirm programming. If you only have one remote then skip to step 4.

3. Within 20 seconds, press any button on the second keyless remote. Door locks will cycle again to confirm programming. Repeat step 3. for all other remotes.

4. Turn ignition to OFF. Locks will again cycle to indicate end of programming mode.

Thanks for the replies. It's a 2014 Explorer XLT. I got it programmed and it was indeed a 2 step process. I got the transponder programmed through the process outlined on pg. 87 of the owners manual.

Then the "turn the ignition on and off 8 times" procedure programmed the remote head. So all is good.

Thanks again!

Hey all, I have a 13 X and i just purchased a extra FOB on EBay. I am trying to program it as explained in the Manual with the other 2 in the car with me, but seems like i cannot program it? Do I have to bring it to the dealer to program? if so, why would then have instructions on how to program a 3rd key in the Manual?
Thanks and Stay Cool..... Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You shouldn't have to take it to the dealer. Those instruction for the IA Key are only in the 2016 and 2017 Manual. Others have successfully programmed theirs so it does work.

Peter

Back