RPM fluctuate | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RPM fluctuate

3rdy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 XLT base V6
I don’t know if this is normal but I noticed that when I’m slowing down or approaching to a traffic light and depressing the brake my rpm drops normal until it reach to normal idle (600rpm I guess just little above the first line) and then suddenly it revs to 1k then drop back to normal idle. Is this normal? I reset the computer by disconnecting the negative battery and re-learn but the rpm still fluctuating. Please advise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There have been a few posts lately where revs change or power drops etc. In most cases it was a bad throttle body. Also, I don't the A/C coming on should cause such a big fluctuation. I had mine idling once to check this out and set the A/C to MAX and the RPM needle barely moved.

Peter

i don't think its the AC, this occur with or w/out AC.
I'm hesitant to spray and clean the TB with regular TB/carburetor cleaner. is there a special cleaner or do you recommend any brand and how to clean the TB.

thanks

I just dropped my 2013 XLT off at the dealership THIS MORNING for the same issue. My rpm fluctuation was so bad that it almost stalled out on me a couple of times. It's an intermittent problem, but it occurs at the most inopportune times... i.e. in traffic.

Dealership called me and says they suspect it's the throttle body and that they get "gummed up". I have 39k so I'm out of factory warranty, and extended warranty doesn't want to cover it either.

It's a $600+ repair, and it is a KNOWN ISSUE for Ford. They had similar throttle body failures on the Fusion that led to a recall. Needless to say, I'm pissed. I would expect this kind of problem on a vehicle with 100k on the clock, but not 39k. Warranty folks are telling me the throttle body is considered an emissions component and is therefore not covered.

I just dropped my 2013 XLT off at the dealership THIS MORNING for the same issue. My rpm fluctuation was so bad that it almost stalled out on me a couple of times. It's an intermittent problem, but it occurs at the most inopportune times... i.e. in traffic.

Dealership called me and says they suspect it's the throttle body and that they get "gummed up". I have 39k so I'm out of factory warranty, and extended warranty doesn't want to cover it either.

It's a $600+ repair, and it is a KNOWN ISSUE for Ford. They had similar throttle body failures on the Fusion that led to a recall. Needless to say, I'm pissed. I would expect this kind of problem on a vehicle with 100k on the clock, but not 39k. Warranty folks are telling me the throttle body is considered an emissions component and is therefore not covered.

Funny I thought emission components were covered for something like 50,000 miles....I'd do some follow.......best regards Plum

Have you checked your Warranty Guide? Unless it has changed from the 2012 one I just looked at it says;

Under Emissions Performance Warranty Coverage, Ford Motor Company
will repair, replace, or adjust - with no charge for labor, diagnosis, or parts -
any emissions control device or system, if you meet all of the following
conditions:

(see the guide for those)

The warranty coverage period for:
• Passenger cars, light duty trucks (applies to vehicles up to 8,500
pounds GVWR)
— 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for catalytic
converter, electronic emission control unit (ECU), transmission control
module (TCM), and any other onboard emissions diagnostic module
— 2 years or 24,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for all other
covered parts.

Under Parts that are covered you will see;
• Throttle Body Assembly (MFI)

Reading that over, I'm guessing that the throttle body falls under the 2 year/24k miles section.

Peter

Let me correct something from my initial post. There was never a "recall" for the Electronic Throttle Body problem. Ford replaced the failed component under what they dubbed a "customer satisfaction program." Unlike a recall, the part had to actually fail before they would repair/replace it.

Peter - thanks for the detailed response. I'm no longer under factory bumper-to-bumper warranty (39k miles on the clock right now) but I did purchase an extended warranty. The extended warranty company has decided to cover it (as of 30-minutes ago), but Ford factory warranty folks were saying "no way." I will go through my warranty paperwork tonight and research it further - for those of you out there who may potentially have to deal with the same issue.

As a 15-year electronics technician, I hate seeing electronics control mechanical devices. Electronics should control winky-blinky things. Machinery should be low-tech. You can visually inspect for unusual wear or signs of premature mechanical failure. You can't inspect solid state components or PCBs for potential failure points.

...The extended warranty company has decided to cover it (as of 30-minutes ago)...

That's good news, ZeroSignal! Continue to keep us posted and let me know if there's anything I can do to help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Back