Aftermarket wheels | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket wheels

Get some lovely caliper covers! :D

Undecided on the white-out. Leaning OEM look.

The wheels are nice, but with the 22's the calipers and discs look tiny and I can't help but focus on how small the brake set-up is by comparison.

I'd have to do a brake job with those 22's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That doesn't scream minivan to anyone else? The current gen is already pretty soft-road looking as it is.

Compared to a lot of the newer SUV's the Explorer is one of the most "non minivan" looking.

I'm debating on these! Either 20" or 22". Just don't know exactly what I need besides the springs when lowering it. I hope you guys can see the image..i'm using Photo Bucket.
rims.jpg

New Winter package..

C54EC4C7-2783-4664-B5D9-4DD0FBDB1920.jpg

Looks good!

Well, I was looking at 22's but now I'm thinking of sticking with 20's. I did another photoshop to get an idea on the wheels and so far I'm liking it. Looking at 20x8.5 on the front +35 and 20x10 +40 on the rear. Whats the widest tire out there anyone is running?

Posting from phone, hope this works...
Got new shoes today. Kept the sport rims, went to a Bit to NT421q 265/50r20 and they are nice so far!

IMG_20141230_132903_zps671d81e4.jpg

IMG_20141230_132907_zpsbaecac3f.jpg

IMG_20141230_132922_zpsce48c8ad.jpg

Which Nitto's are they? Are they All Season? Also, how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking.

From his post, they are NT-421Q. A premium CUV/SUV all-season tire/

Peter

Which Nitto's are they? Are they All Season? Also, how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking.
Nitto NT421q ... All season performance crossover tires. A few others on this board have them too and have had great results. They have a 75k mileage warranty and a V speed rating which is kind of unheard of. I got them at discount tire and with tax and road hazard, they ran $1,050. There were no specials but I was in need of tires and those fit what I wanted perfectly.

Nitto NT421q ... All season performance crossover tires. A few others on this board have them too and have had great results. They have a 75k mileage warranty and a V speed rating which is kind of unheard of. I got them at discount tire and with tax and road hazard, they ran $1,050. There were no specials but I was in need of tires and those fit what I wanted perfectly.

Not to bad. When my OEM's wear down, they will definitely be among the ones I look at.

I had Nitto's on my 93 Cobra and they were the best damn tires I ever put on it. They grabbed the pavement quicker than the other 3 bands I had prior to them.

Not to bad. When my OEM's wear down, they will definitely be among the ones I look at.

I had Nitto's on my 93 Cobra and they were the best damn tires I ever put on it. They grabbed the pavement quicker than the other 3 bands I had prior to them.

Well I don't have a lot on them yet, just drove around Frisco (Dallas) area a bit then back home to Paris (100+ miles) but so far:

The slight increase in width and height make it look much better on the rim. The original sport tires were too narrow for the 8.5" rim and resulted in a silly look. Based on the NT421Q product page, the 265-55-20 is ideal for an 8.5" rim and it shows.

The oversteer under hard acceleration is greatly reduced. I attribute this to the more square profile of the tire.

Road noise, especially on blacktop, is much improved. Initially there was a whine over 55 or so, but it went away after about 50 highway miles.

Gas mileage doesn't appear to be impacted.

My speedo is now actually accurate. It used to read a little fast.

Cornering feels great so far.

Nothing to report on ice/snow/rain yet. Might have wintry mix soon, so we'll see!

I'm curious why tirerrack.com doesn't carry the Nitto brand. 1010tires.com does but that particular tire isn't shown. I guess it must be a new one. The link I posted earlier rates them 4 out of 5 with the 'Cons' being deep snow and ice. Seems like a pretty decent tire.

Peter

I'm curious why tirerrack.com doesn't carry the Nitto brand. 1010tires.com does but that particular tire isn't shown. I guess it must be a new one. The link I posted earlier rates them 4 out of 5 with the 'Cons' being deep snow and ice. Seems like a pretty decent tire.

Peter

Yeah none of my local tire shops had them available from their distributors either. (I'm in relatively small town so our only large chains are Sears and Walmart) That's why I had to make the treck to Dallas. I attributed it to being a newer model; though it's been out all year at least.

Peter

It seems like the only tires that don't have a Cons in deep snow and ice are the ones specifically labeled "Winter Tires".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For some reason, I can't find this information anywhere. I remember reading somewhere that the width of the 20" XLT Wheels was smaller than the Sport Wheels but my dealer keeps telling me that the 2015 XLT 20" wheels are the same exact size as the 2015 Sport Wheels.

Can anyone confirm.

Back