Water Leak | Page 38 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Took my Ex in this morning. Was told that water leaks aren't covered by the 12/12,000 certified pre owned warranty. :(

It was my understanding that the CPO warranty was the Premier warranty. Did you verify yourself that it would in fact not be covered in the terms and conditions of the CPO warranty?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It was my understanding that the CPO warranty was the Premier warranty. Did you verify yourself that it would in fact not be covered in the terms and conditions of the CPO warranty?

I have not confirmed for myself, but that's a very good idea! :salute:

If the existing factory warranty is no longer in effect, the CPO will not cover leaks. The following was taken from the online CPO document on items NOT covered;

21) Exterior Seal & Trim Items – Service adjustments, fixed (non-moving) body parts, bumpers, door handles, glass, moldings, ornamentation, paint, rust, sheet metal, structural underbody framework, sideview mirrors (glass and housing), water leaks, wind noise, weatherstrips, wheels, wheel studs, wheel covers and ornaments, convertible top, fabric, liners, zippers and fasteners.

Peter

Quick update on my water leak issue. I remain disappointed that my nearly-new Ex leaked water into the cabin, but very happy thus far with the response by my dealership.

Take note, Ford dealerships across the fruited plain: you are about to get SCHOOLED on how it's done. This lesson is brought to you courtesy of Long-Lewis Ford in Hoover, Alabama.

First, the efforts my dealership went to to identify the issue. Unlike some of the experiences I've seen documented here, my dealer expended serious effort to find the leak. They dropped the headliner, elevated the nose to duplicate the fault condition, and when that didn't show a lot of water dripping in, they put soapy water on top of the seam and then blew compressed air on it from underneath. Where bubbles popped up, that told them where the leak was. This is good work by my dealership. :thumbsup:

Second, warranty coverage. Although the CPO program does not cover this, my dealer is extending goodwill to cover the entire repair. YES! (I bought the car from them as a CPO just six months ago...good decision and we'll remember this! My wife loves my Explorer and also wants one!) :salute:

Third, the thoroughness of the proposed repair. Unlike some of the lesser repairs documented here, my dealer is going to need to remove lots of trim pieces to get to the affected area, reapply the sealant, AND repaint the affected area so that it looks good as new. Again, that's a good quality repair.

The only downside is that it's going to take a couple days to do all this. You know what? I DON'T CARE!!! As long as the car is being fixed right, who can complain!!!

Overall, if everything pans out as expected, I'll still be disappointed that my Ex leaked, and I'll always be wondering in the back of my mind if it will leak again someday, but the actions of Long-Lewis Ford set the standard in my mind as to what Ford's and its dealer network's response to this issue ought to look like. I can accept that it's a man-made object and will not be perfect. So find the problem, own it, and set it right. Boom.

Now, let's just hope that the repair works and holds long term. I will update.

Quick update on my water leak issue. I remain disappointed that my nearly-new Ex leaked water into the cabin, but very happy thus far with the response by my dealership...

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, dudefish; it sounds like your dealership is treating you like gold! I'd be happy to document your feedback in our system so the appropriate folks can see it. To get started, just send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, dealership info, and any details about your experience you'd like me to include. Leave the rest to me. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Quick update on my water leak issue. I remain disappointed that my nearly-new Ex leaked water into the cabin, but very happy thus far with the response by my dealership.

Take note, Ford dealerships across the fruited plain: you are about to get SCHOOLED on how it's done. This lesson is brought to you courtesy of Long-Lewis Ford in Hoover, Alabama.

First, the efforts my dealership went to to identify the issue. Unlike some of the experiences I've seen documented here, my dealer expended serious effort to find the leak. They dropped the headliner, elevated the nose to duplicate the fault condition, and when that didn't show a lot of water dripping in, they put soapy water on top of the seam and then blew compressed air on it from underneath. Where bubbles popped up, that told them where the leak was. This is good work by my dealership. :thumbsup:

Second, warranty coverage. Although the CPO program does not cover this, my dealer is extending goodwill to cover the entire repair. YES! (I bought the car from them as a CPO just six months ago...good decision and we'll remember this! My wife loves my Explorer and also wants one!) :salute:

Third, the thoroughness of the proposed repair. Unlike some of the lesser repairs documented here, my dealer is going to need to remove lots of trim pieces to get to the affected area, reapply the sealant, AND repaint the affected area so that it looks good as new. Again, that's a good quality repair.

The only downside is that it's going to take a couple days to do all this. You know what? I DON'T CARE!!! As long as the car is being fixed right, who can complain!!!

Overall, if everything pans out as expected, I'll still be disappointed that my Ex leaked, and I'll always be wondering in the back of my mind if it will leak again someday, but the actions of Long-Lewis Ford set the standard in my mind as to what Ford's and its dealer network's response to this issue ought to look like. I can accept that it's a man-made object and will not be perfect. So find the problem, own it, and set it right. Boom.

Now, let's just hope that the repair works and holds long term. I will update.

That sounds great by the dealer, but all this for the third row leak? Was it coming down the seatbelt? That indicates faulty sealant where back of roof rack is attached. Perhaps yours is another issue.

For me, it was a 25 minute fix from top of roof rack and by needing to pull the liner down a bit and reapply sealant. Curious what all this work is about for your leak. Is it the seam that is leaking? Are they sure it is not just the roof rack? Seam is a tough fix and not too common. Roof rack very common and easy fix.

That sounds great by the dealer, but all this for the third row leak? Was it coming down the seatbelt? That indicates faulty sealant where back of roof rack is attached. Perhaps yours is another issue.

For me, it was a 25 minute fix from top of roof rack and by needing to pull the liner down a bit and reapply sealant. Curious what all this work is about for your leak. Is it the seam that is leaking? Are they sure it is not just the roof rack? Seam is a tough fix and not too common. Roof rack very common and easy fix.

Hello TMG, the dealership told me basically that the sealant on the body seam weld failed. They didn't say anything at all about the roof rack. I think my water was coming into the cabin mainly where the soft headliner meets and kind of tucks up under the hard plastic interior trim piece below it. The corner of the headliner was very damp right there, and most of the water was dripping down onto the speaker enclosure. I don't recall seeing it drip in on the seat belt.

I'm just glad that my dealership took this very seriously and seems committed to fix it on the first try. They clearly know what they're doing. When they do cool stuff that I wouldn't have thought of (the soapy water and air gun), that makes me feel good about the people working on my vehicle. Sure, everybody has training, but not everybody cares enough or has enough creativity to come up with techniques like that.

Crystal, I will send you a PM.

Hello TMG, the dealership told me basically that the sealant on the body seam weld failed. They didn't say anything at all about the roof rack. I think my water was coming into the cabin mainly where the soft headliner meets and kind of tucks up under the hard plastic interior trim piece below it. The corner of the headliner was very damp right there, and most of the water was dripping down onto the speaker enclosure. I don't recall seeing it drip in on the seat belt.

I'm just glad that my dealership took this very seriously and seems committed to fix it on the first try. They clearly know what they're doing. When they do cool stuff that I wouldn't have thought of (the soapy water and air gun), that makes me feel good about the people working on my vehicle. Sure, everybody has training, but not everybody cares enough or has enough creativity to come up with techniques like that.

Crystal, I will send you a PM.

That leak test is standard stuff that any good tech knows, remember finding a leak in your inner tube on your bike in a bucket of water?

Same idea but they dont take the time to do it, instead taking the time to try to tell you otherwise about your leak.
I congratulate you and herebye offer you a Happy Thanksgiving !

If you please, when leaving the dealership, roll down the window and yell ExploooorerForuuum daaat caaaam ! ! ! as you pull a donut and screech out of their lot ...:D

That leak test is standard stuff that any good tech knows, remember finding a leak in your inner tube on your bike in a bucket of water?

Same idea but they dont take the time to do it, instead taking the time to try to tell you otherwise about your leak.
I congratulate you and herebye offer you a Happy Thanksgiving !

If you please, when leaving the dealership, roll down the window and yell ExploooorerForuuum daaat caaaam ! ! ! as you pull a donut and screech out of their lot ...:D

It'll be more like, "daaaawwwwt caaaawwwwm!!!" but I'll certainly do that.

Water leak down 3rd row seatbelts - 2011 XLT

Hi folks:

I'm a newbie here. Just bought my first ever explorer 2 weeks ago. It is a 2011 Explorer 4x4 XLT. Bought it certified pre owned from a dealer here in Massachusetts with 42K miles.

Overall, all is ok with the car other than I get a buzzing sound when driving at highway speeds from the passenger front windsheild area. There seems to be a TSB about this.

But then last week, a new problem popped up. Had periods of heavy rain. Went out next day and noticed water drops on the plastic behind 3rd row seats. Thought water just dripped in when I opened the tailgate. Didn't think much of it.

Then 2 days ago more rain and the same drops. More on drivers vs passenger. Saw no signs of leaks, but then noticed water dripping off 3rd row seatbelt. Then googled and found this thread and now I'm worried. After reading a few pages here, I also checked the spare tire well which has about 1" of water in it.

So from what others have posted here, I guess the leak is either from the roof rack or from weld cracks in the frame.

What are my options here? I'm within first 90 days of purchase, and in Massachusetts that means there is a warranty. Do I have to go back to the dealer that I bought it from, or can I go to any Ford dealer? I have other dealers closer to me than the one I bought it from. Does the CPO warranty cover this?

Looking at the car, it appears this may have been a known problem by the previous owner. There is what appears to be a patch / rubber sealant on the rear corner above the tailgate.

The grooves / tracks that run the length of the roof (where the roof rack attaches to) also looks like it has been "re-welded" and repainted now that I look at this more closely.

Not happy about any of this. Carfax was clean. Love the car other than this issue, which apparently is very common.

Also, any one know any good leak repairers in Massachusetts?

Thanks,

BCB: if you have special rights under Massachusetts law (which is not the case in Alabama) then you should first spend some time figuring out exactly what your rights are and how to protect them. You are probably going to have to deal with the dealership that sold you the car.

I think having photos helped. Definitely take photos.

I dont think the problem is a failed weld. I have a hard time seeing how that could happen. All of these unibody chassis are welded up from various steel stampings, and up top at least the welds are covered with waterproofing sealant. It appears that the sealant is failing. Either they're not putting enough on, or it's shrinking and cracking, not adhering to the steel, something. Your dealer should be able to locate the leak and fix it. Especially since you're early on in your 90 day state warranty.

...Overall, all is ok with the car other than I get a buzzing sound when driving at highway speeds from the passenger front windsheild area. There seems to be a TSB about this.

But then last week, a new problem popped up. Had periods of heavy rain. Went out next day and noticed water drops on the plastic behind 3rd row seats...

Welcome, bcbexplorer! I recommend making an appointment at your local Ford Dealership so they can get these items addressed. The service manager will be in the best position to tell you which repairs are needed and whether or not they'd be covered under your warranty. Once you've had your appointment, let me know if you need any help and I'll be able to research options.

Crystal

Welcome to the Forum bcbexplorer.:wavey:
I see that Crystal has already been in touch. The best place to start so that you know where you stand with the issues, is a dealer. I would go to the one that you plan to do business with first and they should be able to advise if you have to go back to the original dealer. The buzzing could be from either the 'A' pillar or the plastic cowl that runs along the bottom of the window.

Peter

I have had my explorer in 5 times now to have the water leak fixed. They haven't been able to repair it. They have been playing a guessing game as far as I can tell. It started out at the tailgate and they moved their way back to the moonroof. Last guess was it was the drain hose from the moon roof. They replaced it and it still leaked. I love my Explorer. It's been in the shop for 2 of the last 3 months. Very frustrating.

I have tried to contact a Ford rep. No success there either. I guess it's CAMVAP for me.

If anyone is near the central Florida area, I can recommend Mullinax Ford near Apopka on Semoran Blvd. They took care of my leak roughly a year ago.

My leak was from the left side roof rack and the fixed moonroof glass seal. Took me ordering the replacement glass and demanding they replace it under warranty as the seal attached to the glass at the rear had separated and fallen in. The glass comes with the seal already atttached and you cannot just replace the seal. Hope this helps.

Water leak in 2011 explorer

i got in my vehicle this morning and found passenger side filled with water. Luck I have weather tech floor liners. Passenger side was filled to the top. Water seems to be coming from side of glove box, but everything in glove box was dry. I'm at my dealer now wondering what the problem is. Totally disgusted. 24,000 miles and after three years it's one thing after another that's going wrong. Fist it was transmitter, couldn't get vehicle to start. Then came the shift to park thing and now this.

A 'search' would have brought up this 36 page thread. I have merged your thread with it.

That is a lot of water to come in. If it is pure water it would have had to come from outside the vehicle. Have you by any chance checked the well where the spare tire sits to see if it is dry?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i got in my vehicle this morning and found passenger side filled with water. Luck I have weather tech floor liners. Passenger side was filled to the top. Water seems to be coming from side of glove box, but everything in glove box was dry. I'm at my dealer now wondering what the problem is. Totally disgusted. 24,000 miles and after three years it's one thing after another that's going wrong. Fist it was transmitter, couldn't get vehicle to start. Then came the shift to park thing and now this.��

Likely from behind and around glove box from the bottom windshield moulding, maybe thru firewall.
Video of glove box area leak are avail on YTube.

Back