• 2011-15

Votes: 56 52.8%

Votes: 50 47.2%

• Total voters

pingbling23

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited 4x4
Now with the unveiling of the 2016 explorer, I am very disappointed with the direction of the exterior styling. Curious what others think.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Like everything, except for Platinum grill. New grill, body side panels, exhaust tips, fog lights...big thumbs up...all an improvement.

Platinum is a stretch. Quilted leather? Firepit grate for a grill? $60K is a real stretch for a mid-grade brand like Ford.

Like everything, except for Platinum grill. New grill, body side panels, exhaust tips, fog lights...big thumbs up...all an improvement.

Platinum is a stretch. Quilted leather? Firepit grate for a grill? $60K is a real stretch for a mid-grade brand like Ford.

A loaded platinum (no dvd) is going to run $49-$50k at invoice (before rebates) which is what everyone should pay.. do not know where you are getting $60k from.

----------------

I love the Platinum. I love the new instrument cluster it gets, love the new headlights and tail lights, new exhaust, love the leather dash over the cheap plastic one it has now. The leather seats will be far more comfortable then what they are now.

Love the new rim choices over what is offered now.

All and all, a great MC change.

^^ I agree. The Platinum, which is what I'm targeting is likely going to be $55k + here given my 2011 Limited was close to $51k. Not sure when pricing will be available but at least I have a couple of years to save up for it.

Peter

^^ I agree. The Platinum, which is what I'm targeting is likely going to be $55k + here given my 2011 Limited was close to $51k. Not sure when pricing will be available but at least I have a couple of years to save up for it.

Peter

Pricing is already available on the Ford website. I already built a few of them the other day.

Not sure if there is a Canada option yet..

http://bp3.ford.com/2016-Ford-Explorer?branding=1&lang=en

Thanks blwnsmoke. Haven't been able to find any Canadian pricing yet but will keep looking. Looks like I'm going to have to revise my projected cost. With a platinum white tri-coat the Platinum comes in at $54,090. So I'm guessing the price here is going to be closer to $58-60k. That's the same ball park my MKT is in.

Peter

Very, very doubtful that you would get one for under $50K. I think more like $55K.

Very, very doubtful that you would get one for under $50K. I think more like $55K.

As I stated in my order guide thread. I can get them at or below invoice which will put it between $49-$50k before rebates and I can get anyone them in the US for the same price through my contact in MI.

Building a 2015 Sport, MSRP vs Invoice was $3,900. On a $54,000 sticker Platinum (per what Peter built), you are at or around $50k.

If anyone pays more then invoice, they are not getting a good deal.

Disappointed that Tuxedo Black Metallic is gone only to be replaced with the solid non metallic black.

Doesn't look anywhere as nice.

That's going to force me to the Magnetic SPORT.

Pricing is still good for a full load SPORT considering the extras......but why no auto wipers or high beams....come on man.....its programming not hardware.

DVD Headrests will transfer, so will X4 tuner, Gorilla Black wheel lug nuts, and Interceptor Steel wheels.

Honestly I like the current black SPORT wheels better then the newer version.

I will try and get a photo of the 2016 Interceptor EcoBoost Utility Grill ASAP

I think that the grille shown in the picture of the Platinum Ex is exclusive to that model. All the rest seem to have a different but identical one except for the colour. The wire mesh opening seems to be common to all the models. Glad that it appears I can transfer my Interceptor wheels with the Winter tires to the new model.

Peter

I guess I am one of the minority as I like the grill and new headlights of the 2016. I was looking to go for the Range Rover Sport however even if the base model is still $60k, or more like $70k with some options and this would be the V6 Supercharged which is slower than the Explorer. Therefore the Ford Explorer Platinum is a strong proposition to consider.

I will however admit that the Ford Explorer doesn't seem to share the same styling of the new Ford Edge and other models which is a little surprising as I had assumed Ford would be making them more consistent.

TheWombat

Hi everyone, I currently drive a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport in Black and love the truck. When my lease expires I will most likely order a 2017 Ford Explorer Platinum in White just to change things up a bit.

One thing that I don't agree with and I sure hope Ford is listening but why, why only offer the Medium Soft Ceramic colour instead of offering a Black interior too. It makes no sense. I want the Black leather interior.

Livio

You can have mine. :D Unfortunately I didn't have a choice when the deal was made on the MKT. Black is definitely not my choice, inside or out. I guess that is why people don't all drive vehicles that are alike.:thumbsup: BTW, Ford doesn't monitor the Forum. You have to use the link provided in the 'stickies' thread if you wish to forward a suggestion.

Peter

You can have mine. :D Unfortunately I didn't have a choice when the deal was made on the MKT. Black is definitely not my choice, inside or out. I guess that is why people don't all drive vehicles that are alike.:thumbsup: BTW, Ford doesn't monitor the Forum. You have to use the link provided in the 'stickies' thread if you wish to forward a suggestion.

Peter

Thanks Peter.

I know Ford and they will most likely make the change for 2017 if not sooner.

Livio

Some photographs would help this thread along nicely.

Tony

I like the 2016. Particularly the Limited. The tail light rear end ensemble looks fairly tight and nice looking. The front end is very crisp - for some reason, the platinum front end reminds me of a Chevy Traverse mixed with a taurus X and Freestyle. The limited and XLT, not so much.

I like the Limited's grille best. It's a little softer looking. I don't really care for the look of the sport for 2016 - It looks generic. The sport needs to have a ground effect package, kind of like the Focus ST, and much, much more aggressive wheels.

I love the fog light look.

Truth-be-told though. I'll have to actually see the 2016 in person in the natural sunlight.

I remember seeing pics of the new toyota highlander - I thought it was horrid looking, but seeing them in person in the sun on the freeway, I see they're actually not bad at all. So, some cars may simply not be photogenic.

On another note:
Although it is "here say" and I have nothing to back it up, I've heard the 6th generation is going back to rear wheel drive on a new or different platform. I don't know if it will remain uni-body or go back to a chassis. Not sure if it has to do with the Everest or not. Does anyone know anything?

On another note:
Although it is "here say" and I have nothing to back it up, I've heard the 6th generation is going back to rear wheel drive on a new or different platform. I don't know if it will remain uni-body or go back to a chassis. Not sure if it has to do with the Everest or not. Does anyone know anything?

The gold standard is the Range Rover. They have gone unibody and can still tow a ton. However, they are true 4-wheel locking differential. That, and air suspension remain what you want for true off road driving.

While the vast, vast majority of Range Rover owners never go off-road, they are buying the ability and image.

I think it would be a smart move for Ford to have the Ex offer true 4-wheel. For the niche market that actually uses it at the Ex price point, only American option is Jeep so I think there is business to be had by Ford - plus all the buyers who want to know they have a rugged off road vehicle that really just goes to the grocery store and takes the kids to soccer.

What you are also seeing is some manufacturers offering both true 4-wheel and AWD in some models. Ford should dump the front wheel as gas mileage is negligible and just off true 4-wheel and AWD options for the Ex like Subaru does.

Ford should dump the front wheel as gas mileage is negligible and just off true 4-wheel and AWD options for the Ex like Subaru does.
The 2009 Explorer sold just 52,000 units due to increased competition from CUVs. The switch to the 5th generation platform is what reignited sales back to 175,000 units. RWD, on-chassis, transfer case, lockers, air suspension is a niche market and would be a huge marketing mistake. The Explorer is an not off-road vehicle, nor should it be. The front wheel drive platform is smooth, tire wear is excellent, and for 99% of drivers, it's the best solution.

The 2009 Explorer sold just 52,000 units due to increased competition from CUVs. The switch to the 5th generation platform is what reignited sales back to 175,000 units. RWD, on-chassis, transfer case, lockers, air suspension is a niche market and would be a huge marketing mistake. The Explorer is an not off-road vehicle, nor should it be. The front wheel drive platform is smooth, tire wear is excellent, and for 99% of drivers, it's the best solution.

Note I said it would be nice if Ford offered both AWD and true 4WD like Subaru does.

Did not say abandon the AWD. Ford obviously did not go for the crossover look with the refreshed 5th Gen. that just came out. They went more rugged, which might lend towards adding true 4WD. I don't see it as much of a niche market as many - not that I would abandon AWD. I think a lot of people like to buy 4WD even though they know they will never use it (thus the Ex has a 4WD badge on the back of a vehicle that is AWD.

You do not have to go to to the old rear wheel to locking differential. All you need is the present AWD EX with a locking differential. Then you have the best of both worlds. CUV AWD and the ability to lock all four wheels for true off-road in a more rugged looking CUV that looks like a SUV/truck instead of a kid carrier. Locking differential could be an option on the AWD.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back