Small rubber hose or tube come adrift I think AC related?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Small rubber hose or tube come adrift I think AC related??

peter683

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
Hi Guy's,
noticed a very small thin black tube or hose was not attached to anything at one end. I can't seem to find where it goes to as it looks like it might go in behind the air filter or something? any ideas where it fits to and what it does??
10846221_10152399796691621_645201977847664356_n.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's one that goes down into a wiring harness below the blower motor. I believe it's for blend doors and other things inside the cabin.

Nate I took a look but I can't see anywhere that it runs to. It only seems a short line but I still cant find where it connects to. It is still attached at that T connection but as it turns to the passenger side towards the airfilter it has broken off somewhere???

There's one that goes down into a wiring harness below the blower motor. I believe it's for blend doors and other things inside the cabin.

Check those 2 lines that are on the back of the air box I can see them in your picture. If both those lines are connected then it could the one the goes way down below the airbox it will go into a wire harness that goes into the truck.

I was looking at my truck earlier today and saw that the line that goes into the cabin comes out of the wiring harness for the blower motor resistor. Start there and maybe unwrap that harness a bit.

Thanks guys. could someone post a picture for me I don't have the tech manual and havent done much mtc myself on the truck so a bit lost.. sorry..

I don't have a picture and it's too dark to get one. Take a look at your air box, where the air filter goes. Moving towards the rear of the vehicle, behind it is the blower motor for the air inside the cabin. The plastic that it attaches to is a shroud that houses your AC coil. Between the blower motor and AC coil is a group of wires that screw into the shroud, that is the resistor circuit that controls the speed of the blower motor. That's the harness you want to take a look at, follow those wires and you might see a tube running along side them, inside the harness.

Success! Thanks everyone for your patience and replies! I have trouble with my back so cant play around with it as much as I used to but I managed to find that the rubber hose had not broken once.. but twice in two different spots!! I managed a cheap repair for now but it will have to be replaced at some point..

What was it exactly?

Yea, where was it supposed to live? What was the fix?

Yea, where was it supposed to live? What was the fix?
It does run down into the harness of the motor by the looks of things.. hard to see exactly but thats where it feels like it runs into thankfully still attached at that end.. I thought about using heat shrink hose to repair it for the time being?

If you were certain the ends were touching, heatshrink could be ok as long as it's the double-walled with glue kind. Personally, I don't like the rubber hose and adapters. I went through the trouble a while back to get all new fittings and fix leaks in the plastic lines just to find out the rubber cracking again in less than a month. At that point, I went all silicone.

How expensive are they to replace? Also, what does this rubber hose do exactly as my heater etc works fine?

My guess is that it's for the blend doors, when you switch from floor to vents to defrost.

I got my silicone hose very cheap. My signature has a link. I actually wish I bought it first rather than shelling out more money for low-quality chinese rubber that started cracking within a month. Silicone is thicker, more flexible and adaptable to different sizes, moreso than rubber.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back