2002 Explorer 4.0 Coolant Leak, Heater Hose? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer 4.0 Coolant Leak, Heater Hose?

whatwithall

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Hello, this is my first time posting here, although I have been browsing as a guest for a while now. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone here could help me identify what is going on with my girlfriend's Explorer.

It has been running hotter than usual lately, which I expected since the weather is heating up, but the other day, I went inside to pay for gas and when I came out, coolant was pouring from out of the cap. Not sure what to do, I walked over to AutoZone and bought a new cap and a gallon of antifreeze. I assumed the cap was no longer holding pressure.

Fast forward to today now, and as I was driving along, the truck started getting hotter than it ever had before, pretty much all the way to the top of the gauge. I instinctively turned on the heater to try and cool it down a little and buy a couple seconds only to find it was not blowing hot air at all. I did manage to coast home (I was right down the street) and when I got home, I removed the cover from over the throttle body and discovered that a hose had broken off from its fitting. Is this the hose that runs to the heater core? If so, is there an easy way to just bypass it? I mean, I'm not afraid to give it a shot, I just changed my intake manifold on my Crown Vic and that wasn't too overwhelming for me or anything, but I'm totally unfamiliar with the 4.0 engine. I took a couple pictures to try and show you what I am looking at. I am also wondering what would have caused this hose to break off this way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance!

20110607193544.jpg

20110607193535.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That same fitting broke on me when I was a good 2-3 hrs from home :( but it was an easy fix. Walked to an auto parts store (NAPA) got some new plastic tees (got some different sizes) some hose clamps, antifreeze walked back and 10 minutes later was on my way.

I forget what size the tee was I used sorry but it is an easy fix, yes it goes to the heater core and they break because they are old.

>>>>>>>>>>>
discovered that a hose had broken off from its fitting. Is this the hose that runs to the heater core? If so, is there an easy way to just bypass it? >>>>>>>>>>>>

I saw your photos and looks as if your hose clamp broke off and a section of rubber heater hose and it seperated from the metal line section of the heater hose. Am I correct in this description? Or did the metal line section break apart in two halves? I looked at your pics again, can't really tell if both lines are metal or one of each, metal and rubber hose. The heater hose on my 4.0L has a metal line section to it, connected by a rubber hose section and clamp. I would say all you need is a new clamp and some anti freeze if it's the rubber hose to metal connection , but if the heater hose is old, replace that too while you are at it. You probably lost quite a bit of coolant from what you described.

The EXACT SAME fitting went out on me this past weekend. The T fitting goes to the rear and front heater cores. I completely bypassed both of them for the time being. I am trying to see what the best route is for replacement. I'll update with more info when I get it.

A standard tee has been working fine for me for over a year.

Glad I found this from an internet search. On the way to work my truck starting spewing out a lot of smoke. TUrned around and went home and lost heat soon and wondered did I warp a head. Refilled with antifreeze today and started it and saw it spraying from the t fitting. How is the hose connected to the t fitting? Can I pull it off or would I have to cut it off?

Back