Engine Light On - Dealer wants to do "smoke test" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Light On - Dealer wants to do "smoke test"

dankoos

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Limite
My engine light came on in my 2013 Limited (32k miles). The first time I took it in, they cleaned out the neck of the gas tank..I think that's what they said they did. In any event, he said sometimes that works, other times not. If it came back on, I should bring it back and they will do a "smoke test" to find a possible pin-hole leak somewhere. The engine light came back on about a month later...took me a while to make the appointment. I did make it but by the time that day came, the light went off on its own. Dealer said it must have "fixed itself". About a month later, comes on again. I ran a vehicle health report and it sounds like its the same issue. Scheduled for service again and this time told them I want the smoke test done whether the light goes off or not. Anyone else ever have to have this done? There is no gas cap, so it can't be that.

On a side note, when that engine light is on (at least for this issue), the factory remote start will not work. The lights blink, but no start. I thought the remote start was messed up but after the light went off on its own last time it started working again...and now that light is back on it stopped working. Strange.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never had it done, but I'd be curious to see what codes the computer is holding for the CEL

Most all factory remote start systems are designed to not work if the check engine light is on, hood open, door open, etc... to protect against theft or frying the engine if it is not running properly.

While there is no gas cap per se, it is still possible that the capless closure can fail to provide an adequate seal, so I would not rule that out without first checking it.

I've been on this Forum for 4 years and this is the first time I've read this term, "Smoke Test".
Many dealers are reluctant to perform or attempt repairs under warranty if they are not able to reproduce the problem because they may not be reimbursed by Ford.

Peter

Based on the limited info in the thread, a SWAG says it's a leak in the evaporative fuel emission system (EVAP) which should be a closed system.

"Smoke" is used as a diagnostic tool; it's injected into the system under low pressure as a way to pinpoint the source of the leak.

Propane or similar that would be used to diagnose and detect a leak in a (vacuum) line is not useful in this case because there is no vacuum present to draw it in. Of course the engine would be running for this test (to detect rpm change) and not necessary (or possible) for the smoke test.

I did a redneck smoke test on my supercharged Mustang a few years back when I suspected a vacuum leak. Got a cigar and started blowing my exhaled smoke into a vacuum line. Worked great.

Tony

I did a redneck smoke test on my supercharged Mustang a few years back when I suspected a vacuum leak. Got a cigar and started blowing my exhaled smoke into a vacuum line. Worked great.

Tony
Hey Tony!

Very resourceful of you. ;)

Try using a Cohiba next time around... 'Cause then it couldn't be called a "redneck" smoke test. :D

They did say we have to bring it in with a half tank of fuel or less as well.

...About a month later, comes on again. I ran a vehicle health report and it sounds like its the same issue. Scheduled for service again and this time told them I want the smoke test done whether the light goes off or not...

I'd like to put on my detective's cap and see what I can do to help, dankoos. PM me your information and I'll start investigating; be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'm on the case!

Crystal

I'd like to put on my detective's cap and see what I can do to help, dankoos. PM me your information and I'll start investigating; be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'm on the case!

Crystal

I appreciate the offer, but they are going to do the test. I was just inquiring if anyone else had a similar issue as I had never heard of such a test. Hopefully the issue will be resolved once they have run their test and found the issue.

Back