Ambient Lighting Problems | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ambient Lighting Problems

Did you do the master reset?

Yes.

Now, when I set ambient lighting to RED... What should all change?

Door controls? Floor? Cup holder? Dash?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doors floor and center console

Doors floor and center console

Mine is working just fine then... So weird that only those few spots see the colors... Dash and everyone else will always be sea green then? Weird.

The dash isn't ambient lighting.

Yes.

Now, when I set ambient lighting to RED... What should all change?

Door controls? Floor? Cup holder? Dash?
The door handle back lighting, the foot well lighting, cup holders and the lighting for the 2nd row which comes from the back of the center console. The dash and door window controls do not change.

Peter

Took me two minutes to download and find this in the Owner's Manual:

Ambient Lighting (If Equipped)
When activated, ambient lighting illuminates footwells and cupholders
with a choice of colors. To access and make adjustments:
1. Press the Settings icon > Vehicle > Ambient Lighting.
2. Touch the desired color.
3. Use the scroll bar to increase or decrease the intensity.
To turn the feature on or off, press the power button.

Took me two minutes to download and find this in the Owner's Manual:

Ambient Lighting (If Equipped)
When activated, ambient lighting illuminates footwells and cupholders
with a choice of colors. To access and make adjustments:
1. Press the Settings icon > Vehicle > Ambient Lighting.
2. Touch the desired color.
3. Use the scroll bar to increase or decrease the intensity.
To turn the feature on or off, press the power button.

So ambient lighting is a joke? Who wants a bunch of different colors on the inside? I'll stick with the color that everything already is. Weird. Thanks.

So ambient lighting is a joke? Who wants a bunch of different colors on the inside? I'll stick with the color that everything already is. Weird. Thanks.

I like the ambient lighting, personally. Although I do wish that there were both more colors & more places where the lights change color :)

I like the ambient lighting, personally. Although I do wish that there were both more colors & more places where the lights change color :)

Me, too, Julie! My husband surprised me the night we were bringing it home by changing it before I got in to my favorite color. I didn't even know it could do it, but I love it. *L*

Ambient Lighting changing to ice blue color on its own.

Hi folks! After the last MFT update, the few remaining bugs were fixed, but my 2013 Explorer began to do the switch from my selected color to the ice-blue default color after every few drives. It stays on my selected color for a few days, then changes on its own. This is the same problem others have described on this thread. Others have mentioned a software fix that can be done at the dealer.

This is a minor problem so I don't really need to run out and have it fixed. Can anyone (perhaps from the Ford Team) tell me if there will be another future software update in the next year or two? If so, I will just wait for that since that will probably fix the problem. If there won't be any more updates for the 2013 Explorers, then I might take in to the dealer and have them fix it. (I'm partial to the dark blue color :)

Thanks for any info you can provide.

P.S. I have 47,000 miles and counting. It is a great car and runs like a top. I'm hoping this will be a 300,000 mile car. Been meaning to write a detailed review of it. Hopefully I can get around to that this winter.

Ambient Lighting changing to ice blue color on its own.

Hi Peter. Thanks for responding. I did see that TSB and I'm sure that it would fix my problem. I didn't make my question very clear though. I was hoping to find out if there would be another future general software or system update. The last two system updates did not require the dealer's help. I was able to put the software on a USB stick, start the engine, and let the Explorer update itself. My thought is that if there will be another such update in the future, it will probably fix this problem by default along with any other changes they are making to the system. That would save me a trip to the dealer to ask them to fix this one specific issue.

I don't know if Ford will send us any future updates because this is really the only bug left in the system that I know of. So I am hoping that someone out there knows if I can expect another system update in the future.

Thanks for the help,

Joe.

EDIT: The problem is fixed thanks to Jmr061 (Jason) who posted below. He sent me the software update that is specific to this problem (there is a TSB on it) and within a few minutes, my ambient lighting was fixed. The color has not reset to default since the software update. Thanks again Jason!

Hello Joe. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving. It is likely that the probability of a future update is good. The ambient lighting fix seems to have been incorporated in the 3.7 release for the 2014 and 2015 models. Until then, the 'fix' for the ambient lighting in the other models should take of the 'changing' issue in the mean time.

Peter

If you need the ambient lighting fix you can go to:

ftp://71.89.39.226:29440
User: MFT Sync
Pass: syncmyride

Make sure your read the TSB and that it applies to your vehicle. I am not responsible for any corrupt programming, etc.

Edit: I have taken this offline. I have been deemed a vendor by admin therefore if you wish to obtain access to my FTP or be provided information I will have to charge for it.

Rear Passenger Door Handle lighting

The door handle back lighting, the foot well lighting, cup holders and the lighting for the 2nd row which comes from the back of the center console. The dash and door window controls do not change.

Peter

Peter, I noticed that my rear passenger door handle lighting doesn't even come on, forget about changing colors there with Ambient lighting package. Are they supposed to come on, or that is a feature only available on front door locks? Anyone else noticed that?

I'm quite sure the rear passenger door handles were back lit. I no longer have the Ex but the MKT has the ambient lighting package as well and the rear handles are back lit.

Peter

Thanks Peter for the quick reply. Took a flash-lite to my garage to check out the assembly of the door handle. Apparently there is no LED fixture or any accommodation for a different sort of lightbulb in there. Seems like even if it existed in earlier models of Ex Sport or Limited, all the 2015 models of Ex Sport only boast the light in the Front Lock door assembly. What a bummer? I thought that since i am paying for Ambient lighting, two rear passenger door will also have the lights integrated in the lock assembly.

That seems strange. A step backwards? Perhaps other members with a 2015 Sport and ambient lighting can check theirs and confirm.

Peter

Just checked my 2012 Limited and the rear door handles are not lit. The only ambient lighting is from the back of the front center console.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In that case I guess I was incorrect in my post 216 about the rear door handles. I was going from memory which isn't always the best at my age.;)
My MKT does have the lighting so that likely didn't help. Sorry for any confusion.

Peter

Back