Looking at a 2006. Any opinions on this one? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking at a 2006. Any opinions on this one?

D Hook

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer Limited V-8
Right now I own a 2002 with the 4.0 V-6. It's on its' third transmission and I'm really worried about the timing chains going. (No indication that it's about to happen.)

So I've started the search for a used Explorer and came across this one:
http://www.lexusofomaha.com/Vehicle..._114"_WB_4.6L_Limited_4WD-Omaha-NE/2362424413

Was wondering if anyone has an opinion about it and what to look for when test driving. I've done some reading on here and know about the transmission PCM update so I'll check for that when I test drive it.

There were a bunch of short-comings with the 2002 model that I'm hoping to avoid by trading it before too long. With a 171,000 miles on it, I know I'm tempting fate by keeping it much longer. Its' been a great vehicle (knock on wood) so I'd like to trade it while it still IS a good vehicle.

(BTW, my wife is really cranked up about it because it will be a match for her white Expedition Limited LE she just bought. She thinks it will be "cute" for us to have matching SUVs. Me....meh....whatever. As long as it gets me to work on time and doesn't have a V-6.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Short of seeing it in person, it looks pretty nice. And you are smart for looking at the 4.6. I just bought a 2006 LTD in late December, last year. It was a private party deal and had 123+k on it. There were a few small warts on the body but everything worked. If you put on a bold face, had a pocket full of cash and it held up under up close scrutiny, I would go in and offer them $9500 for it. If you did that they would know you were serious and maybe make a reasonable counter offer. I, personally, would not go over $10K.

I paid $8500 for mine but immediately spent $800 on resealing both exhaust manifolds. So far, near a year later and about 4K miles, I really like my Explorer. I get a pretty consistent 15.8 mpg in local surface street and local fwy driving.

Don't forget to try the 3rd seat operation. New motor assemblies for them cost about $250 ea.

That is pretty clean. couple of things to note on that one specifically (since that is what you inquired about).
1) some people find the door handles on the 06 to be annoying - they changed in 07+ (I have an 08 so I cant speak to my opinion on it)
2) how long do you plan to keep it and how many miles do you drive per year? going from 170k to 120k, are you going to be in the same boat (mileage wise) in 2 years or so?
3) The comments by tech by trade are obviously biased (look at his signature line) - I don't believe there are as many issues with the radiator on the v8 - that is primarily a v6 related issue. wheel bearings are a pain - but you've likely dealt with that on your 02, and the spark plugs were likely replaced given the mileage, if not, you may want to consider that as a bargaining chip with the dealership.
4) the v8/ six speed combo will be a huge improvement over your 02, with similar if not better mpg.
5) also look for the manifold leak upon startup (a cold morning helps identify it) this is also something that may have been addressed given the mileage.

take it for a ride and see what you think - good luck.

A little surface rust here & there on the frame doesn't bother me. I can see some obvious patina on the trailer hitch, rear lower arms, and maybe above the license plate coming from behind the trim. With that I'd suggest having them put it up on a lift to get a closer look, or better yet you taking it elsewhere for an independent inspection. I know Nebraska can be tough with the salt in the winter. The Kumho Solus KR21's tires on it are among the 'least expensive' 18's and aren't that great of a tire, tread looks low anyway. I had them & would not recommend. Fog lights (condensation) will need pulled out and re-sealed with silicone, found some threads here on how to do just that, easy.

I'd definitely have the spark plugs changed out as part of the sale. Even though its cold out, don't forget to check the AC, power windows and moonroof to be functional. It looks like a well taken care of truck and to be pretty well loaded up, less the heated windshield - those are $$$ to replace. If you do buy it, I think I still have my old shifter so I can send you the missing OverDrive button if you want it. I replaced mine with the Ford Flex shifter, looks waaaay better.

That is a nice looking ride. The only thing that stuck out, as mentioned already, is the corosion on the trailer hitch frame . . . but that would be an easy fix, and certainly worth pointing at and shaking your head in an effort to get the price down.
Nice interior, and if you have kids, their day has just been made with the entertainment pack on the roof.
We dont see that level of comfort on the Explorers over here (Australia) so I went through all the interior pics. Very nice.

Let us know how you go?

Wow! Thanks guys..very helpful!

I'll have to research that $800 spark plug change. Never heard of that. Why so much $$$?

*(EDIT: After doing some reading, it appears breaking spark plugs is not unheard of on this model. Definetly let the dealer take care of it.)

You guys are seeing a bunch more than I did in the pictures. That's why I posted this up here. All I see is a nice LOOKING Explorer and it's easy to get off focus just by the overall looks and miss the obvious.

I put on less than 3000 miles per year, pretty much all city driving. So I figure this will last for sometime. I've had my '02 for about six years now I think and have only put on about 25K in those years.

Wheel bearings are still a problem with the '06? I'll take that over the '02's V-6 propensity to eat timing chain guides and transmissions.

Welcome any more things to look for.

I'm going out tonight for a test drive. Had the '02 detailed today so it looks as good as possible for trade in value. I'll follow up after the test drive.

Just returned from the test drive.

Everything looked pretty good but had some questions about the 4x4 function. We road tested it first and all worked good but in the parking lot, I shifted into 4xHI and made a turn (dry pavement) and got a feeling of jumping and hopping. Not a very sharp turn; like a turn you'd make in the grocery store parking lot. Felt hopping and skipping, like it was engaging and disengaging the 4 wheel drive. Tried it in 4xLO and got same thing. I expected it in 4xLO but not in 4xHI.

Also, a chirping under the hood when the sales person first pulled it up to the front. Sounded like a belt idler pulley. Records say they just changed the serpentine belt.

They agreed to get rid of the chirp and change the spark plugs, since they have no record of last time it was done. Couldn't hear anything that sounded like an exhaust leak.

She went and talked to the used car manager and had him come explain the 4x4 part. He said all the newer 4x4's do what I'd experienced due to the way the 4x4 system has been redesigned, using a different gearing setup from the '02. He said he would warranty the 4x4 system for 30 days, he's so confident it's completely normal. But I'm a little wary of it. I told the salesperson I would sign tonight if they'd warranty it for 6 months. Never got an answer about that.

Does this 4x4 function sound right to you guys?

He did say I could take it to another mechanic and have them check it out. So I might do that tomorrow. I'd like to find another '06 to drive and test out to see if it's as "normal" as he claims it is.

There was something else that bugged me about the vehicle but couldn't put my finger on it. Then it finally hit me when I got home. It felt too new.

The 4 x 4 High selection locks in the transfer case. It is not good to test it on dry ground. It is likely to act like you described.

Then it finally hit me when I got home. It felt too new.

Even after near a year, I marvel every time I get in my '06 at how new it feels and drives. That is after about 4k miles added since I bought it. My wife has a 2005 Lincoln LS with 59K on it. My explore feels every bit as new and tight as her low mileage Lincoln. Also keep in mind, the 4th generation explorer had the strongest frame in the business.

From the looks of your pictures, it is no wonder it feels that way.

Yes, you're right. The '02 isn't too bad but it's a little tired-feeling. My other car is a '98 Mark VIII and, while comfortable and tight, sits so low it's almost uncomfortable, compared to driving an SUV.

BTW, thanks for the feedback on the 4x4 function. Hopefully others will chime in with some other words of wisdom before I fall in love with this thing. I just want to be sure that what I experienced is normal and not going to bite me later on.

Anyone have any experience with the 6 speed transmission? Is it as weak as the transmissions in the earlier '02 models?

Never mind. Did a search on 6R60 and came up with some good info.

I think I'm going back to the dealer today or tomorrow and test drive it one more time during the daylight hours. Want to check for some other things before deciding.

Careful of that squeak, if it isn't the tensioner pulley the Cam phasers can make that type of noise too. Not a cheap fix.
That hop is right, not a good idea to engage on the dry ground.

As others have mentioned 4x4 Hi function is completely normal. It is actually the opposite of what the salesguy told you, it is "old school" 4x4. no sensors detecting slippage - just straight up front and rear axles getting power. the reason for the noise/bumping/binding is due to the front tires trying to move at different speeds when making a turn, and on dry pavement there is too much grip to allow the tires to slip and it causes binding. you would see this in 4hi and 4low as you mentioned. if you notice it in 4auto - then there would be concern.

your research is correct on the plugs, let them deal with it, and then you'll be set for a very long time.

Anyone have any experience with the 6 speed transmission? Is it as weak as the transmissions in the earlier '02 models?

Never mind. Did a search on 6R60 and came up with some good info.

I think I'm going back to the dealer today or tomorrow and test drive it one more time during the daylight hours. Want to check for some other things before deciding.

Be sure that you check the powered 3rd seats. They are expensive to fix if they don't work. I got lucky when I bought mine. I didn't test a lot of things but they all worked anyway.

Even after they agree do what you want them to do, do not offer them full price. If you are firm and within reason, they will come your way. State a price and if they balk, tell them thanks anyway and start to walk.

Then after you buy it, I'll trade ya my bucket second row seats for your bench second row seats. :D

Be sure that you check the powered 3rd seats. They are expensive to fix if they don't work. I got lucky when I bought mine. I didn't test a lot of things but they all worked anyway.

Even after they agree do what you want them to do, do not offer them full price. If you are firm and within reason, they will come your way. State a price and if they balk, tell them thanks anyway and start to walk.

Then after you buy it, I'll trade ya my bucket second row seats for your bench second row seats. :D

That's an interesting idea. I really like the bucket seat setup.

I did check the third row seats and they seem to work fine.

I'm going to try to get them to put a set of General Grabber HTS tires on it. The tires are pretty worn and I'd sure like to start with a new set. If they balk, I might offer to split the cost with them. I have Generals on my '02 and really like their performance and wear.

Took it to my neighborhood mechanic where I have my '02 serviced. He said "it would not be my first choice."

Exhaust leak passenger side header.
Needs a new seal where the axle enters the diff.
Rusty undercarriage.
Radiator leaking. Needs replaced.

He said it drove good and looked good but those things were a big concern. I'm going to stop by in the morning and see if he can give me an estimate for what it would cost to fix so I have some bargaining room. I would prefer to pay the negotiated price and let them fix the items since the exhaust leak is something my mechanic won't touch. This Lexus dealer also owns some of the Performance Ford dealerships in Omaha so they could probably do the repairs for less anyway.

I'll update tomorrow, 'cause I know you're all glued to your screens! :D

Took it for another test drive this morning. They agreed to take care of the exhaust and radiator problems so I bought it. Pick it up next week.

Very pleasant experience at Lexus of Omaha.

Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated.

Let us know how it all turns out after you get it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2006 4.0 XLT 131,000 miles. Recently I had to: replace the transmission, replace the engine, replace the rear hubs and bearings, replace the alternator, replace the cat converters. No matter how you turn it, no matter how I felt about the vehicle, it is criminal how poorly this thing was engineered. I had a 4.6 2004 Limited. Much better than this one. I had 182,000 on that one. By comparison, this 2006 is garbage. My opinion only.

Back