Tow package question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow package question

Not sure I understand this, isn't it more desireable for towing to have a lower, such as a 3.16 rear end?

No. Don't exactly remember the details but it has to do with rotations per something. Meaning the more rotations(higher number) the better torque(power?). How's that for a vague I think? But, absolutely positive the higher number is better for towing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure I understand this, isn't it more desireable for towing to have a lower, such as a 3.16 rear end?
Higher number is better for towing, lower number for better fuel mileage.

It is revolutions of the driveshaft per 1 rotation of the tires. So a higher number means the DS turns more to travel the same distance. This means, the rpms are higher at the same speed and keeps the vehicle in the torque/power band better when pulling a load which is what you want.

The 3.16 final drive ratio just means that it's a 2WD not an AWD. Don't confuse the final drive ratio with the old rear differential ratio where a smaller number translated into a usually higher tow capacity. The final drive ratio is all the gears combined with the transmission in its highest gear.

No. Don't exactly remember the details but it has to do with rotations per something. Meaning the more rotations(higher number) the better torque(power?). How's that for a vague I think? But, absolutely positive the higher number is better for towing.
Thanks. Yeah now I recall- the more turns of the driveshaft to get one turn of the wheels the better the torque. Got it.

The 3.16 final drive ratio just means that it's a 2WD not an AWD. Don't confuse the final drive ratio with the old rear differential ratio where a smaller number translated into a usually higher tow capacity. The final drive ratio is all the gears combined with the transmission in its highest gear.
Thanks! it's getting clearer all the time.

Thanks. Yeah now I recall- the more turns of the driveshaft to get one turn of the wheels the better the torque. Got it.

Since it seems I am all about creating confusion, let me add that a "lower" gear ratio is actually numerically higher, i.e. a 3.39:1 ratio is lower than 3.16:1.

So in a way, you were correct in your initial inquiry, a lower gear ratio is more desirable for towing but that lower ratio is represented by a higher number. Isn't physics fun? :banghead:

Yay physics!

I got confused by not thinking about it - the sport eco-beast has the 3.16 ratio, which is not as good as the other ratios for towing or acceleration (in theory. However, the massive amount of torque put out by the engine more than offsets that, so you still get blistering acceleration, and good towing torque. Plus lower rpms at highway speeds for good mpg.

Since there is a transaxle in all drive configurations (FWD, or 4WD) the different ratios must be achieved at the factory by changing some gearing that lies within the transaxle, but at the end of all the other gearing. (?) That would be easier to measure with the 4WD because there is an external shaft running to the rear wheels that can be measured for turns, but it must also be present, internally, even in FWD, so they can easily change it(?)

And if I've got that part right, the ratios published are useful for comparison only when comparing the ratios for the same engine. It does allow a (somewhat) useful comparison to the turbo vs non-turbo for the same (3.5 V6) engine.

Based on this it appears this unit likely has the "standard factory tow", not Heavy duty package, and would be limited to 2000lbs.

Why? That tow guide shows the 3.16 having the Class III package available. The etis report (linked to in my earlier post) which is basically the birth certificate of the particular vehicle also lists it having the Class III package. Just input the VIN on the etis link page and see all the options, etc.

Click the top right side of this page where it says VEHICLE, then put in your VIN. You will learn more about what your vehicle is equipped with than you will know what to do with!

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

Thank you guys for the help. So now I'm more confused, so there's two different towing packages, the standard and heavy duty? My camper is 3000 lbs loaded, so I definitely need the heavy duty package.

Sorry if I contributed to the confusion. I can't seem to open the more detailed link with details beyond the sticker. As I re-look at the towing guide I now suspect the 2000 lb limit would be after market hitches. Given the factory install it could/should be 5000. Why the dealer indicated 2000 to you would merit pressing them further. Can you open Is973800's detailed link with the VIN?

After running my VIN I clicked on Minor Features and that pulled up a list of about 150 items.

Peter

On the list for this VIN is "With Class III Trailer Towing".
You should be good for 5000 lbs.

Back