Rear Spoiler Removal Help

mhikeboy

Reaction score
City, State
Dubai
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
Hi All,

I am planning on painting my rear spoilers if that is what its called (haha) and since it would be a lot easier to do it if its removed from the car I would like to ask anyone who knows how to do this or has done it before and it would be great if you could teach me how.

I saw that there are 4 unusual looking screws on the back of the lift gate... Are These all I need to unscrew to remove the spoiler?

Here is what Im talking about.

20130122_145604_zps01033754.jpg

20130122_145632_zps709e23a4.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is one more of those behind the plastic trim dead center as well. I was wondering the same thing this weekend as it would be much easier to tint the 3rd brake light with it out.

D

94 views and still nobody? hmmmmm. maybe this thing is not doable.

yes, those partially hold the spoiler onto the back liftgate. I forgot what size 12-point socket fits them...... However, there are also a few clips. If you remove the inner plastic trim of the liftgate at the top of the window, you can see one of the clips and access it through a hole. However, the one on the opposite side does not have a hole to access it through. Its more of a yank and pull hard and hope not to damage anything type of deal. There is also some double sided sticky tape along the edge which they call "weatherstrip".

yes, those partially hold the spoiler onto the back liftgate. I forgot what size 12-point socket fits them...... However, there are also a few clips. If you remove the inner plastic trim of the liftgate at the top of the window, you can see one of the clips and access it through a hole. However, the one on the opposite side does not have a hole to access it through. Its more of a yank and pull hard and hope not to damage anything type of deal. There is also some double sided sticky tape along the edge which they call "weatherstrip".

Thanks cnsheets! seems not a simple task. Its a no go for me. :( I think Ill just mask the car off to paint this, coz it looks like its the easier option.

Hmm, yea that wounds worse that I would think. I am suprised as usually the MFG has to provide a simple way to change the bulbs in the third light if they go out. This sounds like a "take it to the dealer" situation.

Weird they would do that. Is there a way to get the brake light out without removing the whole spoiler?

D

I'm just curious as to why you would want to remove it?! I think it will look weird without it and what if there is a gap or something like that behind it that was never meant to be exposed?!

That's the piece. You should use a plastic pry tool. Be careful. You don't want to snap the trim. Takes a bit of torque. Start on one side and move your way over. It shows where the clips are located in the picture.

I'm just curious as to why you would want to remove it?! I think it will look weird without it and what if there is a gap or something like that behind it that was never meant to be exposed?!

He wants to paint it.

mhikeboy,

Looks like your Ex is the same color as mine-Sterling Grey Metallic.

Post pics when your are finished . What color are you thinking?

Good luck-tinner

That's the piece. You should use a plastic pry tool. Be careful. You don't want to snap the trim. Takes a bit of torque. Start on one side and move your way over. It shows where the clips are located in the picture.

Thanks Brokenstrut, will first buy the pry tools before attempting this project, dont want to break the clips :)

mhikeboy,

Looks like your Ex is the same color as mine-Sterling Grey Metallic.

Post pics when your are finished . What color are you thinking?

Good luck-tinner

Im still thinking if I will paint it in black, wrap it in black or wrap it in black carbon fibre, will surely post pics once done but I think it would take time since I am not sure where to buy the pry tools here locally, so I might order online and will take 2 weeks fro shipment.

Rear spoiler removal... brake light replacement

Hi, I broke my rear brake light, the one in the middle of the spoiler, I got a new one online and now I need to replace it.... how do you remove the rear spoiler ?
thanks a lot.
Andy.

Hi, I broke my rear brake light, the one in the middle of the spoiler, I got a new one online and now I need to replace it.... how do you remove the rear spoiler ?
thanks a lot.
Andy.
Using the 'search' program, I found this thread and have merged your thread with it. Good luck.

Peter

Awesome, got it out, thanks

What is the size of the nut holding those on? I took a 14m to it and it grabbed ok and then jumped on the nut when the torque was higher. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Delete - double post

Back