Warrior 153 Shackle question…

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
installing my shackles and TT today along with new tires, and here is something I just realized, one side of the warrior shackle is longer then the other? Is this right? Does it matter which way they go on? Just want to double check before I start.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

installing my shackles and TT today along with new tires, and here is something I just realized, one side of the warrior shackle is longer then the other? Is this right? Does it matter which way they go on? Just want to double check before I start.

Longer "arms" go toward the top ( frame) , so when the shackle swings it will clear the frame. :D

Thanks, that is what I was going to do, but unjust wante to make sure, rather not do it twice, lol.

How are you installing them?
I have shackles waiting to put on but can't figure out how to jack the truck up to get them on..

I have shackles waiting to put on but can't figure out how to jack the truck up to get them on..

I used the lift at my Job, lol. Super easy though. with me and my buddy I was able to pull the leaf down enough to line the bolt holes up, so no need for the bottle jack. What I suggest is to jack it up by the front leaf perch, then place a jack stand on the frame in front of it, do it for both sides and you are golden. You might also want to get an air hammer, had to use one to remove some stubborn bolts. Also removing the spare will help a lot.

I used the lift at my Job, lol. Super easy though. with me and my buddy I was able to pull the leaf down enough to line the bolt holes up, so no need for the bottle jack. What I suggest is to jack it up by the front leaf perch, then place a jack stand on the frame in front of it, do it for both sides and you are golden. You might also want to get an air hammer, had to use one to remove some stubborn bolts. Also removing the spare will help a lot.

I'm not concerned with how to do it as much as I am with getting the rear off the ground. I have never been able to jack it up high enough by the frame to get the wheels off the ground.

I'm not concerned with how to do it as much as I am with getting the rear off the ground. I have never been able to jack it up high enough by the frame to get the wheels off the ground.

Get a better jack ;)

Or instead, place the floor jack under the pumpkin on the rear axle (make sure not to pinch the cover, that may cause leaks). lift the rear with the pumpkin and then put jackstands under the frame on either side, this should give you PLENTY of room even with a ****ty jack. Don't jack it up by the frame this gives you much less lift for the height of the jack.

Remember jackstands go under frame, floor jack under pumpkin, that's how you get the height.

*edit* check out the TT and shackle installation guide that a member posted before me, there is a picture of how to jack it up and such.

I've been trying to convince someone to let me borrow their lift. :p:

To change the shackles the rear tires do not need to be off the ground. You will need to relieve the spring tension, but wheels off the ground is higher than you need to go.

Lifting by the frame, Jack the rear up just enough to make the bolts turn easier. That is the sweet spot. Once the bolts are out you want the leaf to stay where it is.

Then you can adjust it a bit higher for the longer shackle. Much safer this way, as the wheels are still in contact with the ground. if the wheels were off the ground when you pull the shackle bolt, the spring end would flop down with enough force to cause injury. Do em one side at a time.

Just my .02

To change the shackles the rear tires do not need to be off the ground. You will need to relieve the spring tension, but wheels off the ground is higher than you need to go.

Lifting by the frame, Jack the rear up just enough to make the bolts turn easier. That is the sweet spot. Once the bolts are out you want the leaf to stay where it is.

Then you can adjust it a bit higher for the longer shackle. Much safer this way, as the wheels are still in contact with the ground. if the wheels were off the ground when you pull the shackle bolt, the spring end would flop down with enough force to cause injury. Do em one side at a time.

Just my .02

This sounds like a safer way.
I know wheels have to be off the ground for the TT.

Oh, sorry Dom, I didn't realize what you where asking, a little bit late, but going off the rear end is the best way, then use jack stands on the frame its self.

You get yours on yet?

You get yours on yet?

I did, I got the Warriors on, did the Torsion Twist, and new Goodyear Wrangler Authoritys 31x10.50x15 all installed last night. Started at 3:30, got done right around 8. sorry for the lack of pictures, had no time to do that yet, but let me tell you what a difference, and I love it!!!

I had the same issue with not being able to lift the truck high enough. I got it up as high as I could and set it on jack stands. Then I set the small bottle jack that came with the truck between the frame and the main leaf spring and slowly cranked it up until the end of the spring sat low enough to line up the holes in the shackle. Worked like a charm, isn't really dangerous, and only took about 15 minutes to swap the shackles on both sides of the truck.

Hope this was helpful...

Guess I need to take a day off and do all this.
The list of stuff I have to do is getting large.. Time is a lovely thing when you have it.

Back