Turning off interior lights(rear seats in particular) with dome lights on. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turning off interior lights(rear seats in particular) with dome lights on.

Odrapnew

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I think this is more of a gripe than an issue, but I noticed that if I turn on the 2nd row overhead lights with the buttons, I cannot turn them off if the "global" interior lights are on(such as with door open). I have to close the door and wait for the lights to turn off in order to push the buttons on the lights to turn them off. Does that make sense and is that normal? It goes the other way in that you cannot turn them on if the lights are on.

It's an annoyance that I have to remember to hit the button(my daughter likes her light on at night) before shutting off the Ex, or getting all the lights off before turning it on. Not easy reach from the front seat either.

I can say I'm glad the Ex has the accessory auto-off feature(after 10 minutes) because I'm sure I would have been stuck with a dead battery on a few occasions(like my wife). The only reason I knew the light was on is becuase it comes back on when I start it up again the next time I drive it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Drives me crazy too. When the kids sit in the 2nd or 3rd row and leave the dome light on when we get home. You open the doors and all the lights come so you don't notice ( actually I notice most of the time but the wife doesn't) until everyone's out. Hit the locks, the lights dim, and there it is shinning. You can't turn it off with the master dome light button from the drivers seat. You can't open one of the rear doors reach up and turn it off because the lights are all on since the door is open. You have to get inside the back seat and shut yourself in the car until the lights turn off and then power off the light that was left on. Really annoying.

Don't you think that the solution to this is teaching the kids to turn the lights off? Same as in the house in rooms they are not using?

Don't you think that the solution to this is teaching the kids to turn the lights off? Same as in the house in rooms they are not using?

Probably, if they were able to reach it. My 3yr old doesn't have the strength to push the release button on her carseat so she has to wait until I unbuckle her. By that time the lights are on inside so pushing the button isn't an option.

Probably, if they were able to reach it. My 3yr old doesn't have the strength to push the release button on her carseat so she has to wait until I unbuckle her. By that time the lights are on inside so pushing the button isn't an option.

How's it get turned on?

..........You can't open one of the rear doors reach up and turn it off because the lights are all on since the door is open. You have to get inside the back seat and shut yourself in the car until the lights turn off and then power off the light that was left on. Really annoying.
Not sure if the MKT system is the same as the Explorer's. It looks the same as the lighting system I had in the 2011 Ex. but I can turn the 2nd row light off with the doors open (doesn't turn off right away). I have the panorama roof so the 2nd row lights are on the sides. I turned one of the lights on after all the interior lights had turned off. I then opened the rear door and all the interior lights came on. I then clicked the light that I had turned on and it stayed on until I closed the door and then it turned off along with all the other interior lights.

Peter

How's it get turned on?

I figured that question would get asked. It's a long(ish) stretch from the front seat to hit the button.

So you'll ask, why don't you turn it off when you get to your destination? I'm usually pulling into a brightly lit garage, so the light doesn't get noticed. By the time it does, the car is off and I'm halfway into the house(or getting into it the next morning only to notice the light on when I start it).

Also, I'm usually not looking in the back seat when I stop somewhere until I'm parked and engine is off(at which point the lights are on).

Not sure if the MKT system is the same as the Explorer's. It looks the same as the lighting system I had in the 2011 Ex. but I can turn the 2nd row light off with the doors open (doesn't turn off right away). I have the panorama roof so the 2nd row lights are on the sides. I turned one of the lights on after all the interior lights had turned off. I then opened the rear door and all the interior lights came on. I then clicked the light that I had turned on and it stayed on until I closed the door and then it turned off along with all the other interior lights.

Peter

Interesting. I don't have the panorama roof. Wonder if that plays a role or if it's a Lincoln vs. Ford thing.

Again, it's an annoyance and luckily we have the auto off feature for the electronics.

Fortunately I have not enountered this issue, but it does seem annoying. I have the panoramic moon roof, and my Ex developed a buzzing rattle that would occur intermittantly as I drive. I was getting really irratated by it, in what is otherwise a pretty quiet vehicle. I assumed it was the moon roof, but it turmed out to be the light housings for the overhead lights. Apparently the process of pressing them causes them seat differently and that caused the rattle. Eventually I was able to tape some padding around them and buzzing has gone away. All around it seems a fairly problematic design and function.

Back