• Register Today It's free!

Defroster Issues

Explorer0204

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer XLT
Hey guys been a while since I have been on here so I hate to make my first post back a question but...well...i'm about to lol

Anyways so last winter and this winter my defrosters have been horrific. Last year I did some testing and found nothing wrong but I think I overlooked a problem.

So, here is the deal. I have the manual HVAC controls and here is what happens on each of the 6 settings (Left to right)

Max AC: (Works properly)
Dash and floor setting: works properly
dash only setting: works properly
off position
floor only: works properly
defroster and floor: only floor works
defroster only: no change from the previous, air comes out of the floor only even though it shouldn't come out of the floor at all.

It is quite clear that for some reason the defroster is blocked. I just don't know where it is located and why it is stuck (bad actuator, broken arm on actuator, broken hinge on the door...etc, or some other problem entirely)

I checked all of the vacuum lines with a vacuum pump...no leaks in any of them. Without taking the dash apart the only thing I feel I can check at this point is if the vacuum switch for the mode settings is diverting vacuum correctly.

Has anyone had this problem and know where my problem is and what part of the HVAC system to focus my attention on? I've searched the threads here and have found similar issues but none that were specific to my problem and due to the work involved, I really want to be as sure as possible of what is wrong before I spend 8-10 hours or more on this. Thanks everyone.

Turns out my defroster door arm AND the re-circulation door were broken. Fixed both of them and now everything works. Lots of time getting the dash off.

Don't know why I am writing this as no one has seemed to read the post but maybe it can help someone in the future.

0204, did you have very weak air flow from the defrosters before the fix? This sounds similar to what I am experiencing but my airflow is quite weak from the defroster. Also were the actual blend doors broken, or just the arm that serves to link the blend doors to the HVAC Actuator?
Thanks

Back