Adding Remote Start | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Remote Start

Hi Guys,

I had the Series 100 remote starter installed two days ago on my 2014 EX XLT but I seem to have much less options in the left cluster settings than I am supposed to have.

I only have : Climate Control (Auto or Last)

I have no Heated Seat option (car has heated seats)
I have no Rear Defrost option
I have no Temperature option.

Any clue ? Is that a problem of software version on my EX or is it because it is an XLT and only Limited and Sport have these options ??

Please help...

Thanks
If you don't have the options in the left information display for the Heated/Cooled seats to come on then I doubt that adding the remote start will result in those missing items being added to the display settings.

Also check out the following thread that discusses Remote Start and Climate;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333741&highlight=remote+start

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In remote start the option comes up to have them off or auto during remote start process. You have a 2014 which means IDS asks them if you have "climate controlled" seats during the remote start enabling process. So they answered NO.

Hi JMR061

Basically I only have two lines in my remote start menu :

-Climate Control (Auto or last)
-Duration (5/10 or 15 minutes)

And below I have a check box that says "System" that is checked by default. If I uncheck it the two options above (climate control and Duration) become blacked out.

That's all I have.

Mind you the rear / mirror / front defrost all seem to be working fine. We had a snow storm on wednesday and after 10 min Thursday morning all my windows were nice and clean of any snow. I was just wondering how come I can't control my heated seats.

I do not know how to get into engineering mode, can you please assist on that ?

Thanks

Jim, I added a link to an existing thread in my post above.

Peter

Hi JMR061

Basically I only have two lines in my remote start menu :

-Climate Control (Auto or last)
-Duration (5/10 or 15 minutes)

And below I have a check box that says "System" that is checked by default. If I uncheck it the two options above (climate control and Duration) become blacked out.

That's all I have.

Mind you the rear / mirror / front defrost all seem to be working fine. We had a snow storm on wednesday and after 10 min Thursday morning all my windows were nice and clean of any snow. I was just wondering how come I can't control my heated seats.

I do not know how to get into engineering mode, can you please assist on that ?

Thanks

Again they answered No to the climate controlled seat question and they should have answered Yes. I looked at the link Peter tossed up and looks like the defrost is controlled automatically rather than user intervention which I can tell you is different than a Taurus.

Let the Explorer guys with Remote Start chime in. Maybe they can tell us what year it is - if they have rear defrost in the menu and if it was from the factory that way or enabled after purchase.

In remote start the option comes up to have them off or auto during remote start process. You have a 2014 which means IDS asks them if you have "climate controlled" seats during the remote start enabling process. So they answered NO.

Thanks a lot Jason.

For some reason I was ruling out human error but my dealer seemed pretty unsure about the procedure to program the remote starter. I will ask them to do it again and answer "YES" when prompted with Heated Seats question.

Thanks a lot

Thanks a lot Peter and Jason.

I think we found the problem. I will ask my dealer to fix it :)

Have a great weekend.

Just wanted to say thanks again the help. It took going to three dealerships, two refused to look at the documentation that I had. With some persistence the third dealership did review the documentation. $30 later I was on my way with the remote start activated.

My advise is to be persistent with the dealership.

What video and documentation are you guy's showing to the dealer?

Also, what key option do I need if I already have the Power Lift Gate? My 2015 XLT already has the Hood Pin installed.

Lastly, does anyone know what a fair price would be for a dealer to cut and program the new key?

jmr061 had a video posted on his Facebook page but looks like he took it down. One of the members Riley has the instructions sheet from Ford. If you PM he'll send you them.

Also, what key option do I need if I already have the Power Lift Gate? My 2015 XLT already has the Hood Pin installed.

You need to purchase a 5 button blank IKT. The 5 button has the lift gate button and the 2x for the remote start.

Lastly, does anyone know what a fair price would be for a dealer to cut and program the new key?

You can program the key yourself. Read through the manual there is a section on it. Any Locksmith will be able to cut the key for a few bucks. Just tell them it just needs to be cut, no programming needed.

Sounds like something got messed up. There is no "temperature" setting by the way. Its just climate. If you know how to get into engineering mode on the instrument cluster I would like some data from it. That will tell me some details. I know on the PI Utility rear defrost doesn't seem to come up so maybe the guys that have had it done can chime in.

Actually Jason, on mine it did, front and rear defrost, and climate. Which has been a Godsend having the rear defroster come on while the truck warms up

Actually Jason, on mine it did, front and rear defrost, and climate. Which has been a Godsend having the rear defroster come on while the truck warms up

Maybe the 14's are different then. That is why i have my other thread about what options are in the cluster etc.

If you have any questions after reading my sticky on remote start feel free to email me direct or PM me. I also have access to IKTs/keys if you are interested.

Thanks

...I think we found the problem. I will ask my dealer to fix it...

Allow me to help, jimbertrand514. Please PM your VIN, odometer reading, full name, daytime phone number, and dealer info; I'll scoop up the best next steps.

Kwasi

Hi All,

I just got back from the dealer who told me that since I don't have cooled seats the option is not available on the remote start session.

He tells me that just heated seats and not heated/cooled does not leave him the option of selecting heated seats during the remote start session.

I seriously doubt this statement. The service clerk seemed very shaky with the whole IDS programming procedure from the beginning so I am not sure he actually tried nor knows what he is talking about. His answer was : it's not in the options on the dash so it's not possible. I told him that the options on the dash were displayed only if they were answered "yes" when prompted by IDS programming. He seemed even more confused. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I live in Quebec and all employees speak french so maybe they are confused with english questions of the IDS.

I did not want to challenge him any further before talking to you guys. Jason, Peter do you guys have cooled seats or just heated in yours ?

Kwasi, thanks for your offer for help, I will PM you all details if we can't resolve, I don't want to make you work for nothing.

Thanks and hapy holidays to you all.

I have the heated and cooled seats currently and before in the 2011 Ex.
Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.

Peter

I have a Taurus so I can't compare however I have checked into the Taurus line that has heated only seats and from the Factory this feature is enabled. The vehicle knows if it has heat or heated/cooled seats from what I can discern. I have verified the actual programming within the instrument cluster between the two is exactly the same.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's 2021 and I just bought a 2013 XLT. The vehicle is in amazingly good condition, obviously garage kept, 78k miles. This will be my daughters car. Quite a bit of tech with Sync 2 for a 2013.

I'd like to add remote start to this truck and I've been trying to make my way through all the threads and can't seem to find accurate info for 2021. Someplace I read that all XLT's already had the remote start electronics already in them and just needed activation? Can't seem to confirm that. I do have a forscan tool, but haven't used it much (I have a 06 explorer).

I also saw a MPC Remote Start Kit for 150 bucks, but it requires 2 factory keys in order to activate. I'm not sure, but I got 2 keys from the dealer, one key looks original ford with lock, unlock & horn button with a ford logo on the back. The 2nd key doesn't have a ford logo on the back. When I opened them, the insides were a little different as well. So I don't know if the 2nd key is factory original. The cases are almost identical.

key1.jpg
key2.jpg

So what options do I have. I'd like it to be as factory as possible. Would also like to avoid having a 2nd fob.

If there are no ford options, is it possible to use the MPC kit and get a factory 2nd key? Probably costly, but possible?

Is This: BB5Z-19G364-A possibly the best way to go? Looks like all original ford. Cost, same as 3rd party.

Many thanks.

Roveer

Back