Debut of 2016 Explorer | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Debut of 2016 Explorer

Standard features on the main site for all trims seem to be reflecting the base Explorer features. As per the 2016 order guide, Ambient light is standard on the Limited and Sport with 401A package. Since the Platinum starts with the Sport 401A (and adds on to it), Ambient lighting is then also included.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The one thing which makes me sad about 16 Explorer is MFT remained unchanged. When MFT was introduced back in late 2010 it was really ahead of all other manufacturer's infotainment systems. And 5 years later it did not only evolved in something better, but instead it downgraded in comparison with its early self. Ford promised to add new features but it never happened. Instead, there are rumors circulating on different forums that it might be EOL for MFT as the only vehicles getting updates (could it be called an update?) are 2014 vehicles. Infotainments from GM, Hyundai are now more attractive than Ford.

The one thing which makes me sad about 16 Explorer is MFT remained unchanged. When MFT was introduced back in late 2010 it was really ahead of all other manufacturer's infotainment systems. And 5 years later it did not only evolved in something better, but instead it downgraded in comparison with its early self. Ford promised to add new features but it never happened. Instead, there are rumors circulating on different forums that it might be EOL for MFT as the only vehicles getting updates (could it be called an update?) are 2014 vehicles. Infotainments from GM, Hyundai are now more attractive than Ford.

I agree with you but Im told v3.8 is around the corner and will be a positive change. Lets hope soon.

While MFT has fallen behind the rest of the OEM systems at least its been relatively stable since v3.6.2

V3.7 was an update for 2014 AND 2015 models. I'm sure that MFT will still received support even if they eventually move to the QNX platform.

Peter

I'm sure that MFT will still received support even if they eventually move to the QNX platform.

After reading some articles, it seems the transition from MFT to QNX may be very, very easy - like simply stick the QNX usb stick in and replace the MFT platform with QNX with no or almost no replacement of hardware - That easy. Could it really be that easy? If so, would QNX be able to replace even the first MFT systems (early 2011 explorers, for example)? I know the first early MFT systems lacked ability to do what later ones could do. (I forget what exactly).

If they are able to do this and they do do this, do you think we'd see it on the 2016's? I kinda think it's possible...If even only slightly. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

I haven't seen any reports about QNX being available on the 2016 Explorer. It is still Microsoft. Although I'm not sure, I doubt that Blackberry's QNX would be compatible with Microsoft's platform. I believe that the current MFT will continue to be supported but for how long?????

Peter

I agree with you but Im told v3.8 is around the corner and will be a positive change. Lets hope soon.

While MFT has fallen behind the rest of the OEM systems at least its been relatively stable since v3.6.2

May be it is, but it would be logic to present a major MFT upgrade on new vehicles like Edge and Explorer, but it didn't happen...

Still keep my fingers crossed and in meantime half of Cadillac models offer Internet access...

Folks, maybe I missed that. Low beam is LED, what is high beam then? halogen or xenon?

From the Order Guide

Headlamps – Auto LED Low Beams, Halogen Reflector High Beams.

Peter

Thanks for those links Sgt1411. One thing I found out was that the new instrument display is only available in the Platinum model.

Peter

16_explorer_live14.jpg

16_explorer_live02.jpg

2016-ford-explorer-platinum-8.jpg

2016-ford-explorer-front-seats.jpg

What a beauty!

In looking at the interior in the above pic, I can say I can do without the quilted leather seat bolsters and door panels. Same for the wood trim. Something I would expect for a high end luxury sedan, but not a SUV.

I do like the all LED (I think that's what it is) instrument cluster, which will give you a lot of options for what you prefer to view, and the actual buttons on the Sony control panel. A key selling point for any vehicle make going forward will be the ability to customize things like what appears on the instrument cluster and MFT.

I do like the leather dash as an upscale touch. Take the wood out of the steering wheel and keep it the thicker leather wheel it is. Aluminum look trim all around. I like what my XLT has. It's kind of a silver carbon fiber look.

JMO. Everybody has their personal preferences.

As I mentioned in post 171, I believe that configurable dash in the picture is only available in the Platinum model. The others will likely retain the current configuration.

Peter

As I mentioned in post 171, I believe that configurable dash in the picture is only available in the Platinum model. The others will likely retain the current configuration.

Peter

I believe you are correct and from what I had read, the whole display is one large screen now.

In looking at the interior in the above pic, I can say I can do without the quilted leather seat bolsters and door panels. Same for the wood trim. Something I would expect for a high end luxury sedan, but not a SUV.

I do like the all LED (I think that's what it is) instrument cluster, which will give you a lot of options for what you prefer to view, and the actual buttons on the Sony control panel. A key selling point for any vehicle make going forward will be the ability to customize things like what appears on the instrument cluster and MFT.

I do like the leather dash as an upscale touch. Take the wood out of the steering wheel and keep it the thicker leather wheel it is. Aluminum look trim all around. I like what my XLT has. It's kind of a silver carbon fiber look.

JMO. Everybody has their personal preferences.

One thing that I like with the wood at the top of the steering wheel (I have it in my 15 Plat F350) is that it keeps the "leather" looking new by holding onto the wood. My steering wheels have always started to look worn after 3-4 years but the oils on my hands, dirt, constant rubbing and gripping. I've found that I now hold onto the wood more which saves the look and keeps the steering wheel condition mint.

As much as I LOVE the 16, I think I will wait until the 17 model because the 16s will not have the new Sync 3 at this point and since they will not be upgradable, I hate to buy a 16 with an infotainment system that is at the end of its life.

I don't think the 16s will have many issues.. all it is is new bumpers, panels, tailgate (all simple stuff) so I doubt there are many tsbs to worry about upon it's release. But I hate to spend $48k +/- on a platinum to have the tech obsolete within a year from purchase.

I'm not 100% sure on that at this point. I'd wait until the actual production vehicle come out. Apparently the one shown at the LA Auto Show was a preproduction model and the display screen was not actually operative according to a few videos I looked at. I read an article that the 2015 Kuga (Escape) has AppLink.

Peter

One thing that I like with the wood at the top of the steering wheel (I have it in my 15 Plat F350) is that it keeps the "leather" looking new by holding onto the wood. My steering wheels have always started to look worn after 3-4 years but the oils on my hands, dirt, constant rubbing and gripping. I've found that I now hold onto the wood more which saves the look and keeps the steering wheel condition mint.

I hear you on that. I also give my steering wheels a workout, but I stay on top of them with Lexol cleaner and their separate preservative. My Saab is 10 years old and the full leather steering wheel is close enough to looking new. The plastic steering wheel buttons are showing much more wear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not 100% sure on that at this point. I'd wait until the actual production vehicle come out. Apparently the one shown at the LA Auto Show was a preproduction model and the display screen was not actually operative according to a few videos I looked at. I read an article that the 2015 Kuga (Escape) has AppLink.

Peter

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...rd-explorer-marks-25-years-of-innovation.html

Nirvana leather wraps the instrument panel, console armrests, quilted door bolsters and upper door trim. The instrument cluster features a large 10-inch digital display supported with analog displays – a first for a Ford-brand vehicle.

Now that I study the picture above of the display more, it seems that the mph gauge is indeed separate from the 10" display they mention BUT if you look at the RPM gauge, it seems like the screen right below the dashes is a rectangular display so the display seems to start immediately to the left of the mph and go all the way to the left to the inside of the rpm gauge.

Not sure what you were referring to in this post since you didn't quote it to anyone else so I'll make a couple more comments incase you are referring to one of mine.

It specifically lists this display unique to the Platinum. Also, it has already been stated that Sync 3 will not be backwards compatible. The 15 F150 is released with MFT and will then convert to Sync 3 from factory (again, not backwards compatible) and if they are doing that with Ford's #1 money maker, they will do it with the Explorer as well.

Back