dealer refuse warranty on broken wheel stud | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

dealer refuse warranty on broken wheel stud

johnmei

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 XLT
I had 2 of the wheel studs broken on a wheel on my 2013 xlt. The dealer refuses to warranty the work. I had the previous 2 oil changes done there and one of them had a tire rotation. Couple of days ago someone said my driver side rear wheel looks weird(a bit wobbly) so I try taking the wheel off to check. 2 out of the 5 lugs that came off easily. Later I found that half of the stud was broken off and stuck inside the lug nut. The dealer said someone might have done something to the wheel and don't consider it a defect or a mechanics faults so they will not honor the warranty on the work.

I don't see how I could've been strong enough to break the studs with a wrench. The car is still under warranty but what does that mean if it doesn't convers when something breaks. Does anyone have contact info for a Ford reginal manager that I can talk to? I really need help to debate this with the dealer since I don't understand why I have to pay for something that I didn't break.

I'm dealing with Waltertown Ford in Massachusetts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can definitely break the stud yourself. Regardless they tend to break because it was over tightened. Mechanic probably used an impact gun to put them on.

You might be SOL but it doesn't hurt to raise hell. Good luck

johnmei, I suggest that you send Crystal (FordService) a private message. She is one of the Ford reps that monitors the Forum. You can use this link to send her a PM;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

I'm guessing that you didn't touch the wheels after they were rotated and you should state that in your PM if in fact that is true. It seems to me that the dealership is unwilling to take responsibility for something that likely occurred there. The lugnuts should be torqued to 100 ft lbs. Perhaps whoever did the rotation didn't use a torque wrench or didn't have it set correctly.

Peter

I agree with Colintrax.. dealer probably used an impact gun and overtightened it. I was really good friends with a store manager of a Tire shop that I've done business with my whole life. They NEVER use impact guns to install the lug nuts.. only to remove them. They hand tighten and then use a torque wrench..

Not saying this was your problem but many do use an impact gun because it is quick rather then the correct method.

yeah...this situation is BS...the dealer is not being forthcoming here.

You can break studs manually. You either have to be a hulk or have a really long ratchet.

However, typically what happens is that an impact is used improperly and the studs get over-stressed. A crack initiates as a result. Throw in some road force and vibration, side loading, etc...and the crack grows until the bolt gives up the ghost.

You didn't break the stud by loosening it.

^^^ Still do not believe an impact gun can be used properly when putting wheels on. You pull the trigger and before you can even blink it's on tight. Not only that, you have a greater chance of causing warping.. Let's face it, tech's are not there to take their sweet time.. zap, zap, zap, zap, zap.... next.. Nothing is better then hand tightening and then to torque to the proper spec with a torque wrench.

^^^ Still do not believe an impact gun can be used properly when putting wheels on. You pull the trigger and before you can even blink it's on tight. Not only that, you have a greater chance of causing warping.. Let's face it, tech's are not there to take their sweet time.. zap, zap, zap, zap, zap.... next.. Nothing is better then hand tightening and then to torque to the proper spec with a torque wrench.

This is an explorer, not a Porsche (or insert favorite high end sports car) with ceramic brake rotors. You can do a 3 rattle torque and a final check with a torque wrench.

either way the techs over tightened with the impact. it is a common rookie mistake. The techs at dealers that do oil changes and tire rotations are the same folks at jiffy lube.

While they are not a substitute for a torque wrench, torque sticks are appropriate to use for this and limit the maximum torque; but the right one has to be used, and used properly, and not used to remove the lug nuts.

Note that you might want to check the contact surfaces on the alloy wheel itself, as they can be damaged as well. Sheesh! It's hard (for the garages/ dealers) to get good help these days!

Breaking a single stud is one thing. Multiple studs at the same time? Whoever put them on used an over-sized impact wrench and hit your studs hard. Studs are not little weak sisters that must be handled carefully. They are tough hombres. In fact, I'd check to make sure your studs are real studs, and not some Chinese fake crap made from gun metal. That happens.

You must know who was the last person (or shop) to put your wheels on. They are the culprits, most likely.

It is odd that the wheel was "wobbly", but that the three other studs were tight. They should have held the wheel tight enough so that it wouldn't look wobbly. Otherwise they would be worn out at the thread surface from the wheel movement (wobbling) while driving. So what was the reason the stud nuts were removed again Johnmei? In this case it is not possible to break them when removing them, only when installing and tightening them.

We have not confirmed yet that no one else worked on the nuts after the dealer did?

Thanks for everyone reply and suggestions. The wheels have not been touched by anyone other than this dealer's QuickLane service guys. I will give Crystal a private IM to see if something good will come out of it.

Thanks for everyone reply and suggestions. The wheels have not been touched by anyone other than this dealer's QuickLane service guys. I will give Crystal a private IM to see if something good will come out of it.

Thanks for the PM, John! I sent you one back; check out your inbox. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I don't know the gun the particular tech used, but mine has multiple max torque settings specified via a dial on the side - with different values for both 'on' and 'off' max torque. For fastening wheels, I' typically use a setting that results in 60-80 lb/ft, and then torque to spec via a hand wrench. Typically, that's less than 1/2 turn... I've seen techs get sloppy/lazy and not thread the nut before hitting with the impact wrench - THAT will make a mess.

The big issue is that most compressors have enough pressure variability so that the ultimate setting isn't accurate enough - note the range mentioned. This will result in uneven torque between the studs, as the compressor cycles and line pressure varies.

I got my Explorer back yesterday. After the driver from the dealer that was supposed to pick me up was an hour and a half late from the promised time(I'm 15 minutes away). It was after 6:00pm when I arrived at the dealer which is closing time for them. To my surprise the service manager was standing there waiting for me. He was awefully nice to me, which is like a 180 degree change of attitude compare to a few days ago when I spoke to him over the phone. At the time he was pretty adamant that this is not a warranteed item and I will be responsible for the whole bill. He told me that he spoke to the Ford regional manager and worked something out for me. He said we (the dealer, Ford, and me) will split the cost of the repair. He told me all I have to pay is a deductible of $50 for the service instead of the the whole $225. I don't understand what this deductible is but I was tired and upset about the 1 1/2 hour wait for my ride so I just paid the $50 and left. (And he was especially nice when he mention about a survey that will be coming my way.)

Anyway, thanks for everyone's input on this and especially to Crytal for helping out with this unfortunate event.

BTW, how many lb/ft of torque should we use on the Explorer's wheels?

...Anyway, thanks for everyone's input on this and especially to Crytal for helping out with this unfortunate event.

It's my pleasure to help, John. You know where to find me if you need my help in the future. :)

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recommend that anyone having their tires rotated / replaced have them retorqued after 100 miles or so. It's not that uncommon for wheel nuts to work them selves loose. It happens at least once a day where I work.

Back