Beat a silly Q5, but is my Trans about to break?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Beat a silly Q5, but is my Trans about to break??

CalifLove

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
I was planning to make 2 separate posts but figured I would just put it all in 1.

Early last week, I am minding my own business cruising down a random street in San Francisco on my way home. Some guy in a newer Audi Q5 is coming up zipping through traffic a bit (not much traffic) but I could see him going in and out of lanes a few times in my rear view. It so happened that we end up lined up at a stop light. I try not to drive like an ####### 99% of the time so I'm not really worried about doing anything with this guy other than staying out of his way.

So, light turns green - we both take off. He started off "normal", as did I. I'm not sure what happened, or why but the guy seemingly floors it after 100' or so and takes off, only to cut me off, only to then get out of my lane again. I wasn't toying or racing with the guy at all. if we wanted to get in front of me, he had ample opportunity without a fight from me - but then he gets out of my line to make sure we line up again... big WTF right?

So what do you know. We're lined up again at a stoplight. I look over just a bit, the driver and his friend appear to be laughing... I'm now kinda pissed that the jerk thinks it's cool to drive like an ass and then laugh about it like he won something - as if I was actually attempting to race him that first go round.

Light turns green - he floors it, I don't. In a split second I said Eff it and go for it. By the time I reacted he was about a 3/4 car length on me. I floor it, turbos spool and then whoosh there I go easily pulling on him.

The Ex easily beat this dweeb to the next light... guess who was laughing now. as we pull up to the next light, I take a quick look at them and give them the eye and laugh - they didn't laugh back. So after that short lived "victory", I had to worry about the drama that just unfolded...

On the shift from 1 to 2 the car shuddered a few times then continued to pull, and again, shuddered on the 2-3 shift. These were significant "shutters" that jolted the car back and forth a few times within the split seconds of the shifts happening. The engine didn't seem to be chocking, and to me, it felt like a transmission issue vs. engine related. No check engine light or anything. I haven't felt this before so it was definitely jarring and cause of worry.

Then over this weekend, I decided to try and duplicate the issue while merging onto the freeway from a slow start. Same thing happened. accelerating somewhat normally to merge onto freeway to about maybe 10-15 mph, then I close to floored it and took off. Sure enough, that 1st and 2nd shift shuddered the car just like the last.

Any ideas what could cause this? I will reach out to Torry shortly to see if he has any thoughts. Thinking of taking the Ex back to stock tune to experiment and see if same problem occurs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Sport is a bit faster than a standard Q5. However my SQ5 destroys my Sport. Both my SUV's are sleepers.

I'm not sure if it was a S or not, didn't really pay attention. I suspect since I pulled on him so easily it was not an S. That said, doing a quick check, seems like a q5s would be pretty evenly matched to a tuned Sport with the tune helping make up for the weight deficiency of the Ex. That Audi sure has a nicer interior though...lol

The Q5 comes in a lot of varieties from peppy to damn fast for a SUV. A SQ5 is definitely faster than even most tuned Explorer Sports (low to mid-13's 1/4 mile). A stock Q5 with the supercharged 3.0 (TFSI), is on par with a stock Explorer Sport (low to mid 14's 1/4 mile). A tuned SQ5/Q5 can do low to mid 12's. The Q5 with the 2.0T is probably a low to mid 15 second car.

If you are running an unleashed tune, Torrie will adjust your shifts. He did this for me after I had a hard 1-2 under WOT on our initial 93 tune. He repled back within 5 minutes and the problem was gone.

The Q5 comes in a lot of varieties from peppy to damn fast for a SUV. A SQ5 is definitely faster than even most tuned Explorer Sports (low to mid-13's 1/4 mile). A stock Q5 with the supercharged 3.0 (TFSI), is on par with a stock Explorer Sport (low to mid 14's 1/4 mile). A tuned SQ5/Q5 can do low to mid 12's. The Q5 with the 2.0T is probably a low to mid 15 second car.
You should see what the SQ5 does with a tune....

I was planning to make 2 separate posts but figured I would just put it all in 1.

Early last week, I am minding my own business cruising down a random street in San Francisco on my way home. Some guy in a newer Audi Q5 is coming up zipping through traffic a bit (not much traffic) but I could see him going in and out of lanes a few times in my rear view. It so happened that we end up lined up at a stop light. I try not to drive like an ####### 99% of the time so I'm not really worried about doing anything with this guy other than staying out of his way.

So, light turns green - we both take off. He started off "normal", as did I. I'm not sure what happened, or why but the guy seemingly floors it after 100' or so and takes off, only to cut me off, only to then get out of my lane again. I wasn't toying or racing with the guy at all. if we wanted to get in front of me, he had ample opportunity without a fight from me - but then he gets out of my line to make sure we line up again... big WTF right?

So what do you know. We're lined up again at a stoplight. I look over just a bit, the driver and his friend appear to be laughing... I'm now kinda pissed that the jerk thinks it's cool to drive like an ass and then laugh about it like he won something - as if I was actually attempting to race him that first go round.

Light turns green - he floors it, I don't. In a split second I said Eff it and go for it. By the time I reacted he was about a 3/4 car length on me. I floor it, turbos spool and then whoosh there I go easily pulling on him.

The Ex easily beat this dweeb to the next light... guess who was laughing now. as we pull up to the next light, I take a quick look at them and give them the eye and laugh - they didn't laugh back. So after that short lived "victory", I had to worry about the drama that just unfolded...

On the shift from 1 to 2 the car shuddered a few times then continued to pull, and again, shuddered on the 2-3 shift. These were significant "shutters" that jolted the car back and forth a few times within the split seconds of the shifts happening. The engine didn't seem to be chocking, and to me, it felt like a transmission issue vs. engine related. No check engine light or anything. I haven't felt this before so it was definitely jarring and cause of worry.

Then over this weekend, I decided to try and duplicate the issue while merging onto the freeway from a slow start. Same thing happened. accelerating somewhat normally to merge onto freeway to about maybe 10-15 mph, then I close to floored it and took off. Sure enough, that 1st and 2nd shift shuddered the car just like the last.

Any ideas what could cause this? I will reach out to Torry shortly to see if he has any thoughts. Thinking of taking the Ex back to stock tune to experiment and see if same problem occurs.

I have the 93 octane unleashed tune and have the same issue as you. However I only get it on the 1-2 shift.

Back