ieee_raider

Reaction score
City, State
Paris, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
Hey IVT!
Please listen to your customers.
We with the original Sync want to be able to upgrade to Sync 3.
I understand it's not a simple software update and will require new hardware as well.
Please make this available for existing customers and that will carry through a long ways in customer loyalty.

$300, awesome. $400 fine, no problem. $500, let's not get greedy Ford...

I created this intentionally as a new thread as a discussion of Sync 3 for exiting MFT customers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would pay $500 for the upgrade even though I have had no issues, except for some initial learning curve frustration. That being said I have only had it a month.

I would pay for the upgrade just because I'm a tech freak. The current system isn't bad at all.

There is no way it would only cost $500 or less for the upgrade though. Think about this for a second. If you were to buy a tablet, you're going to pay anywhere between $300 and $600. Buying a tablet doesn't require anyone to install something but the upgrade to Sync 3 obviously would. If Ford does offer it as an upgrade, I wouldn't be surprised if it cost closer to $1000 after the install.

I would pay for the upgrade just because I'm a tech freak. The current system isn't bad at all.

There is no way it would only cost $500 or less for the upgrade though. Think about this for a second. If you were to buy a tablet, you're going to pay anywhere between $300 and $600. Buying a tablet doesn't require anyone to install something but the upgrade to Sync 3 obviously would. If Ford does offer it as an upgrade, I wouldn't be surprised if it cost closer to $1000 after the install.

I could see that with install.
I was thinking $500 for the hardware.

When you pay $300+ for a tablet, you're paying for software development and customization, not hardware. The hardware can be had much much cheaper. You can get a quad core tablet for under $100 running vanilla android. In Ford's case, the development work is being paid for with their future install base. No "need" for that cost to be rolled into a retrofit kit.
Given that they indicate they'll be dropping this into current models, it should be relatively simple.

Hi guys,

Thank you for your interest in SYNC 3! Since it's all-new hardware and software, it won't be backwards compatible with the current systems.

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca, we understand that it's not a drop in software change.
What we're looking for is for the all new hardware to be sold as a kit.
Surely that can be made to happen?

Your likely to lose faith from a lot of customers if that can't even be considered as an option.
We're looking to be considered, not blatantly dismissed.

No, there will not be an after-market kit for SYNC 3.

Rebecca

If you're not going to listen to customers, why even monitor this forum?
Why have a public presence at all? What is the point?
More false promises?

If you're not going to listen to customers, why even monitor this forum?
Why have a public presence at all? What is the point?
More false promises?

Seriously? How many times have you ever seen a new model vehicle produced then the auto company make the MFT/sound system available for the previous version owners?

Never

Tbh it's an outrageous request.

Seriously? How many times have you ever seen a new model vehicle produced then the auto company make the MFT/sound system available for the previous version owners?

Never

Tbh it's an outrageous request.

True to an extent, but we're in new territory with fully integrated electronics. Ford has a chance to set the bar and do right by its customers. I would hope they aren't blind to the consumer trust this would purchase.

True to an extent, but we're in new territory with fully integrated electronics. Ford has a chance to set the bar and do right by its customers. I would hope they aren't blind to the consumer trust this would purchase.

I understand you point of view, however Ford has obviously decided to created an upgraded system based on experiences front the last. It will most likely be a whole new design hardware wise and software wise and as a result it wouldn't work in our vehicles. This is common imo, and how vehicle progression goes.

Ford may or may not provide us some software updates, depends on if serious issues exist. It's the squeaky wheel thing.

Besides, I'm sure Ford would like us owners to buy the new version and having better electronics makes it more appealing.

I just came out of a new German car, and a 03 Harley truck, both were great! But my 15 sport is better! I'll drive it a while until something so cool that I can't can't resist comes out that I have to Have! Lol

Hey IVT!
Please listen to your customers.
We with the original Sync want to be able to upgrade to Sync 3.
I understand it's not a simple software update and will require new hardware as well.
Please make this available for existing customers and that will carry through a long ways in customer loyalty.

$300, awesome. $400 fine, no problem. $500, let's not get greedy Ford...

ps forum nazis: I created this intentionally as a new thread as a discussion of Sync 3 for exiting MFT customers.
FYI, there is more discussion in the SYNC3 thread from existing MFT customers than there is here. If you want to be heard by Ford, this is not the avenue you should be following. In any case, it has been made perfectly clear that the new system, for whatever reason, will not be backward compatible. I guess the only ones that can really tell you why would be the software/engineering people at Ford.

Peter

The fact that the hardware swap can be done is just another slap from Ford IVT.

IMHO thats morally and ethically corrupt to do that to existing customers. WOW!

I think its time to send Mr Fields an email.

I thought there was no way Ford could hurt its reputation more than what they did by releasing MFT before it was ready, I was wrong.

The fact that the hardware swap can be done is just another slap from Ford IVT.

IMHO thats morally and ethically corrupt to do that to existing customers. WOW!

I think its time to send Mr Fields an email.

I thought there was no way Ford could hurt its reputation more than what they did by releasing MFT before it was ready, I was wrong.

Why aren't you mentioning all other updates and improvements that will be available in the new model year? With your logic shouldn't Ford update our whole car?

This thread is dumb, buy a new car if you don't like the one your in.

Ken

Blackberry software???? Since when are they on the leading edge of technology? Their mobile device business is in the toilet. Ford IVT team must know something the rest of their customer base doesn't. I would be worried hitching my wagon to Blackberry's software!

TB

BlackBerry can't comment on its involvement with Apple's CarPlay, but the QNX platform does specialize in connectivity to mobile devices. QNX, acquired by BlackBerry (then Research in Motion) in 2010, provides operating systems, software development tools and engineering services for everything from autos to appliances to medical devices and control systems. QNX has more than 40 automakers---Acura, Audi, BMW, Chrysler, Ford, GM, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, Mercedes, Land Rover Range Rover, Porsche, Toyota, Volkswagen---in the fold.

A look at the QNX stack reveals how hard it would be to totally cut BlackBerry's subsidiary out of the car entertainment ecosystem.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/blackberrys-qnx-why-its-so-valuable-to-apple-google-auto-industry/

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why aren't you mentioning all other updates and improvements that will be available in the new model year? With your logic shouldn't Ford update our whole car?

This thread is dumb, buy a new car if you don't like the one your in.

Ken

All the other updates like what?.....sheet metal, lighting, wheel design.....those were never an issue on the current model. No ones complaining about improvements to the model that weren't on the 2011-15 yrs

The issue is since the release of MFT the system was marketed to function with features that did not materialize. Ford has readily admitted MFT was released too early. Jim Farely admitted this in a Ford Town Hall Meeting. Owners were continually mislead that all hands were on deck to fix the MFT fiasco to the original marketed features and satisfaction of it current customers.

Since 2011 this stability has only recently been achieved in v3.6.2 or v3.7 but with reduced functionality.

As many current owners expected the next big update to make up for years of poor software its a big loyalty issue to abandon those customers who stayed the course hoping to be rewarded with the originally promised performance and features.

Saying to customers "if you want what we promised back in 2011 then buy a 2016 model is not only unethical, its the ultimate FU to loyal customers with existing systems.

Its great your happy in a 2015 Ex with MFT but not everyone lies down in the grass and takes it in the..........

Back