Explorer Navigation Tracking Problem | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Navigation Tracking Problem

That "guessing" part was not meant as a negative comment Jason but more of a reflection of all the various suggestions on what the causes may be. No one, including the dealers, seem to have been able to offer a definitive cause yet that I have been able to determine. There have been several members who have been able to correct the issue with the battery disconnect while others had no luck. :scratch:

Peter

The battery disconnect was the first thing they did to try and fix the problem. After that was a "master reset" which they charged me 80 bucks for. Which, by the way, I'm getting back.

After the APIM change they "guaranteed" the problem was fixed and that the tech drove it for 30 minutes without issue. Took less than 10 minutes of operation to fail with me.

It's going back in on Monday.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good luck Mike. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Peter

The truck still has the original rims and even tires.

This issues is not location specific and started on a trip back from GA back in April.

Now that is perplexing.

Update on my issue. The truck has been in the shop since Monday. Showed the tech the video I took the day I picked it up. Got a call yesterday asking if I had ever removed the SD card when the system fails. I said yes and explained that it fixes itself but then does the same thing a few min later. No call from the dealer today.

Called the regional service rep I'm working with and she told me the dealer found codes stored in the system that stated the SD card had been removed during use. She went on to say that you just can't reinsert the SD card that the system takes a while to work again. She also said there may be a bad connection in the SD card slot.

I'm not a Fore engineer but I'm mechanically inclined so I know for sure this is not the problem. If the connection was intermittent the system would give me a Nav system fault which only happens when you remove the card with it powered up. The system still malfunctions when you don't touch the card at all.

Seems to me the interface between the GPS and map display is becoming out of sync. You can watch the system freeze up, then catch up and go further down the road than you are actually are. Once you make a turn your off into never land. Other times it just goes off into its own world even when sitting still.

At this point I have little faith they can correct this problem meaning I waised lots of money for a system that doesn't work.

How many times do you have to take the truck in for the same problem before you can claim the lemon law?

How many times do you have to take the truck in for the same problem before you can claim the lemon law?
2012? You are way past Lemon Law age.

Mine is going in for the fourth time regarding an MFT Nav issue next week.
1st visit complaint – Dash display and MFT screen black out for 10-45 seconds and power back on with everything reset (radio, Nav etc…)
Resolution – Ford reprogrammed my system with the latest version and the blackout interruptions ceased.
2nd visit complaint – While using the Nav system (turn by turn directions) the unit would sporadically freeze and lose track of my location. Sometimes I could travel miles before it would “catch up” and other times, I had to pull over and shut off/restart the vehicle to exit the Nav system.
Resolution – Uninstall/re-install the current software version and provide any updates needed. This visit was scheduled in the afternoon for approx. 1hr and I took possession of my vehicle when the service dept. closed after waiting 3.5hrs. The best part was that when they re-installed the software, the Navigation package was left out and I was now prompted to pay for this service. I called the dealer back as I was on my way home and they now wanted the truck for the day to assess the situation as the service dept. was currently closed and they couldn't help me.
3rd visit complaint – To find out why my Navigation function was missing. Truck left for the day with dealer, fortunately I was provided with a loaner.
Resolution – Ford uninstalled/re-installed the software and my Navigation function was restored. Since then I have used the system for directions approx. a dozen times and the new issue is that it cannot track my exact location and the curser puts me off in the woods or in a lake while I am traveling on a highway or back road. It seems as if it’s off to the left or right side by about 50yds. Luckily I can use the map layout to find my way as the system has a seizure trying to re-route me back onto the correct path based on its “current” location.

On a side note, I changed over to my winter wheels after the last visit and had been experiencing the issues mentioned above, before I changed the wheels over. I am not running TPMS sensors in my steel wheels either.

Anyways.. I was skeptical about purchasing this feature to begin with as the majority of people I know with in-dash navigation systems have been unsatisfied and provided negative feedback as to their performance. I was hoping as this technology was out for a few years, that the system would work as advertised. I absolutely love this vehicle and the only issues I have had to date have been with the console trim randomly separating (covered under warranty) and issues with the MFT.
It’s embarrassing when you have a brand new car with and upgraded technology package and you have to use your phones navigation software instead.

Stay tuned…

Dealer called yesterday and said they are replacing the GPSM. That means all components in the system, as far as I know, are new. I'm getting the truck back on Monday.

What is the latest on a class action suit?

Ok, GPSM didn't fix the issue either. Didn't get a call from the dealer all day yesterday so I assumed, wrongfully so, that the truck was fixed. Got to the dealer to a surprised service advisor, who told me the part wasn't even here yet. I'm beyond pissed but in uniform so I keep my composure and leave. He promised it would be ready today.

Got a call from him at 12:30 saying the part (GPSM) was installed and they were test driving the truck. Several hours to by, three to be exact, when I receive a call stating they are still working on it. I was already on my way there and told him to just have the truck ready and hung up on him. Get to the dealer and he apologized and takes me back to see the mechanic. Funny thing is,may truck is sitting there not being worked on while the mechanic is working on another car! WTF?

Mechanic says Ford has said there is a bad batch of software in circulation and they want to try and reload it again with different software. Says it's going to take an hour. I'm currently waiting.
While sitting in the service room one of the salespeople is walking around handing out his card, when he gets to me I tell him I'm never buying a Ford again.

To this point the regional service advisor has been good at relaying information until today. I left a message with her yesterday afternoon stating I wanted my truck back today regardless, didn't hear back.

Rant mode off.

Ford service is out of ideas on how to fix my issue. No word from the service advisor for two days now. I have the truck back. Never buying a Ford again.

Did they ever try a different NAV SD Card?

Did they ever try a different NAV SD Card?

I don't think they did. How much is the new A5 card? I left before the final paperwork was completed on the "repair." They are mailing it to me.

Quick update.. Ford had my vehicle for the day and their solution was to reload the most current software version to resolve my current Nav issue.
They had the truck for the day and after a "thorough" road test, reported the Navigation was working properly and had no issue accurately tracking my vehicle.
When I picked it up, I chatted with my service provider for a few minutes and politely vented about this being my fourth service visit to resolve MFT problems. Similar to Mike's response above, they explained that my 14MY explorer was an early production model and probably had a "bad batch of software" initially installed, as this is not uncommon.
They went on to explain that sometimes the software updates are pushed out prematurely to resolve other issues and they haven't quite identified or worked the bugs out.
What I heard, was them backpedaling and telling me I shouldn't be surprised when I start to experience problems again.

I've had the truck back for a couple of days now and so far, the nav unit is working properly. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Quick update.. Ford had my vehicle for the day and their solution was to reload the most current software version to resolve my current Nav issue.
They had the truck for the day and after a "thorough" road test, reported the Navigation was working properly and had no issue accurately tracking my vehicle.
When I picked it up, I chatted with my service provider for a few minutes and politely vented about this being my fourth service visit to resolve MFT problems. Similar to Mike's response above, they explained that my 14MY explorer was an early production model and probably had a "bad batch of software" initially installed, as this is not uncommon.
They went on to explain that sometimes the software updates are pushed out prematurely to resolve other issues and they haven't quite identified or worked the bugs out.
What I heard, was them backpedaling and telling me I shouldn't be surprised when I start to experience problems again.

I've had the truck back for a couple of days now and so far, the nav unit is working properly. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Good to hear yours is working. Mine worked without issue from the time I picked it up in 2011 until spring of 2013.

I don't think they did. How much is the new A5 card? I left before the final paperwork was completed on the "repair." They are mailing it to me.

I would check ebay. Cheapest place probably. Just make sure its a legit one.

I think I'd want to verify it is the card before buying one though. Off hand I can't recall any member with this issue having it fixed by replacing the SD card. In this case I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong.;)

Peter

One would think the dealer would have tried one but they follow the repair procedures so if it's not in there I'm sure they wouldn't think out of the box and do it.

The regional service seems to have dropped me off the "give a crap" list as I haven't received a call in many days. Contacted Revecca as I'm not going to let this die.

Truck is going back to the dealer on Monday. This is their last chance to fix it. This is the fourth trip.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just an update for the archives. Dealer had the truck for one day and fixed it. According to Ford, the dealer downloaded some software from their computer that wasn't complete. At least that's what they told me.

I programed my home in leaving the dealer and it got me home without issue. Lets hope its really fixed this time.

Back