My Drivebright.com experience (HID and LED Swap) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Drivebright.com experience (HID and LED Swap)

Cloud9flyer

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
I have been working with Dan at http://drivebright.com/ on a full LED swap and adding HIDs. I took some pictures and will take more on request.

I would not be writing this if I did not have such a great experience. We did a full LED swap and put in 6000K HIDs.

Here is what we swapped
Full interior lights all work great and we tested a few out to get the best brightness and color match. This has made a HUGE difference inside.

Puddle Lights - see picture - it is crazy the difference. I love these.

Reverse light - It is too bad I do not get to see this one much but it is one of my favorites. So much brighter. I had one LED in and one halogen but didn't get a picture. It is crazy the difference.

Turn Signals - Did front turn signals and they look great. I had swapped in red back turn signals and he has them on order but I saw his amber ones and they filled the turn signal way better than my Cree red ones. I am excited to get the red ones in from him.

HID's - these looked and turned out great. I am very happy with them and so far have not had any issues with them and I use the auto on feature.

Licenses plate lights - Tested a few needed to order more of the ones we liked the best. The ones I have on there are a blueish tint. Other ones will be more white when I get the final ones.

Dan takes a lot of time testing and making sure his customers are happy and highly recommend him. He was great to work with.

He is going to be working on a special DRL that I am very excited about that should look great on the explorer.

Let me know if you want to see any other pictures and I will get them taken. I am not a professional photographer so there are some light spots on a few but you get the idea. Let me know if you have any questions and I am happy to answer ay questions!

Puddle lights and Amber LED turn/parking lights
QIYSO77l.jpg

Puddle Only
C9GTCZyl.jpg

Another puddle and LED parking lights
5jPLl6il.jpg

Back of car puddle lights.
WMZSZwOl.jpg

HID at night
5wAYAfsl.jpg

Another HID
UHEsRLRl.jpg

HID daytime
cHOz27Dl.jpg

HID cut off (my driveway slants a bit)
qPfmKC2l.jpg

Another HID cut off
ZHjNIFfl.jpg

Reverse lights
Z1jNAlGl.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice, did you just drop the HID's into the stock halogen projector?

How hard was swapping the LED's on the interior and for the puddle lights?

A couple of questions.

1 what did the conversion set you back?

2 did you do the swap. Or did you take it to them?

Nice, did you just drop the HID's into the stock halogen projector?

How hard was swapping the LED's on the interior and for the puddle lights?

Yes, just dropped the HIDs in the stock halogen projector. I know a lot of other forum members have done the same as well and as long as you get a decent HID kit you will be happy. I have no complaints about the one from drive bright.

The interior lights are not too difficult. There is another thread that goes through this step by step for each one and it really helps. One thing I found in reading the forum is the third row light (or 2nd and 3rd if you do not have a sunroof) has issues. Dan actually took my stock one and did some mod to it and then it works great.

As far as puddle lights - they are actually pretty easy if you get them from him because he sends you the whole piece so you just pop your old one out and put the new one in. Took about 2 minutes on each side. It makes a huge difference and I love how it looks at night.

A couple of questions.

1 what did the conversion set you back?

2 did you do the swap. Or did you take it to them?

1. Not sure yet - reason being he is working on packages for all internal and all external. The HID pricing is on his website. I can update more when I have more info - we are waiting on the red turn signals to come in before we settle up.

2. I took them to him but I was there with him and helped him. I like doing this type of stuff but I figured since he had done it before it would go a lot faster if he helped me! He knew how to do it all but it was none of is what I would call hard. There are some other threads on here that give step by step instructions on the everything we swapped.

1. Not sure yet - reason being he is working on packages for all internal and all external. The HID pricing is on his website. I can update more when I have more info - we are waiting on the red turn signals to come in before we settle up.

2. I took them to him but I was there with him and helped him. I like doing this type of stuff but I figured since he had done it before it would go a lot faster if he helped me! He knew how to do it all but it was none of is what I would call hard. There are some other threads on here that give step by step instructions on the everything we swapped.
Where are they located?

Yes, just dropped the HIDs in the stock halogen projector. I know a lot of other forum members have done the same as well and as long as you get a decent HID kit you will be happy. I have no complaints about the one from drive bright.

The interior lights are not too difficult. There is another thread that goes through this step by step for each one and it really helps. One thing I found in reading the forum is the third row light (or 2nd and 3rd if you do not have a sunroof) has issues. Dan actually took my stock one and did some mod to it and then it works great.

As far as puddle lights - they are actually pretty easy if you get them from him because he sends you the whole piece so you just pop your old one out and put the new one in. Took about 2 minutes on each side. It makes a huge difference and I love how it looks at night.

Will he ship the puddle light kits? If so, how can I get a hold of him?

I too had a great experience with Dan, you can reach him at drive bright.com he's a great guy to work with if you're close he'll help you even do the mods but they're all easy to do .

Do you think the interior LED's are to bright to drive around with? I like driving at night with my interior lights on and the stock ones are perfect for that now. I'm just afraid they might become to bright and I would get glare issues. Do you have a picture you can post of the interior lights?

Do you think the interior LED's are to bright to drive around with? I like driving at night with my interior lights on and the stock ones are perfect for that now. I'm just afraid they might become to bright and I would get glare issues. Do you have a picture you can post of the interior lights?

I do not ever drive with them on so it is hard for me to answer that. It is awesome when you get into the car or leave the car.

That being said, I am leaving later today to make the trip back to Iowa for the holidays and have a nice 6.5 hour drive which will be mostly at night. So I will test it out and see what I think and let you know.

I can also get some pictures at night but it might be a day or two before I can get that uploaded.

I do not ever drive with them on so it is hard for me to answer that. It is awesome when you get into the car or leave the car.

That being said, I am leaving later today to make the trip back to Iowa for the holidays and have a nice 6.5 hour drive which will be mostly at night. So I will test it out and see what I think and let you know.

I can also get some pictures at night but it might be a day or two before I can get that uploaded.

Okay cool. Thank you. I know its a little odd to drive around with the lights on. I very rarely see other people doing it. I don't know why I like it but for some reason I do.

I have the same interior LEDs, tried driving last night with them on to much reflection from the glass for me, the LEDs are bright. Sunglasses might help,good luck.:D

I will get some lights from them soon. Have either of you guys swapped the fog light bulbs out? I was wanting a hid or led to go with my factory hid's.

I have the same interior LEDs, tried driving last night with them on to much reflection from the glass for me, the LEDs are bright. Sunglasses might help,good luck.:D

LOL....Thanks man. I figured they would probably be to bright.

LOL....Thanks man. I figured they would probably be to bright.

Forgot to mention that it wasn't as bad with just the 2nd row lights on.i have the moonroof so my lights are above the doors, front LEDs definitely too bright for me since I'm not use to driving with them on.

Forgot to mention that it wasn't as bad with just the 2nd row lights on.i have the moonroof so my lights are above the doors, front LEDs definitely too bright for me since I'm not use to driving with them on.

Sorry for not responding sooner - been out of town for Christmas. I tried the lights at night and I think they are too bright to drive with them on. You could do it but I do not think it would be wise. I will take some pictures of it as well.

As far as the fog lights from the above poster - we did that swap as well I forgot to take pictures of it, but will also do that. I used the same 6000K so they match pretty well and look good.

LED License Plate Bulbs

I seem to be having a problem with my new LED license plate lights....

both bulbs face "--->" leaving a noticeable dark spot on the plate ... and noticeable bright lit spot on the right rear of my Explorer

any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Licence plate led replacement.

I seem to be having a problem with my new LED license plate lights....

both bulbs face "--->" leaving a noticeable dark spot on the plate ... and noticeable bright lit spot on the right rear of my Explorer

any suggestions?

I use led bulbs from pilot automotive. Part # IL-194W-9WK. This bulb will solve your problem as I experienced the same thing. Make sure that you get the 9 led bulb and not the 5 led bulb. You can get them from any Wal-Mart, AutoZone or pep boys for around $10. It brightens up the whole plate not just the corners I've been using them for about 7 months now no problems and they are bright. I even used them on the interior of my car.

Back