• Register Today It's free!

Ratcheting noise from front end

rbbaker

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT, 1992 XLT
Hi, shortly after we had new rubber put on my wife '02 XLT it seems to have started making a kind of rapid ratcheting noise, kind of like trying to engage some gears but not as loud or harsh. Here are the particulars.

It is random and intermittent. It only does it right after starting or shortly after starting to drive.

It usually only does it after it has been sitting for quite a few hours, usually 7 or more.

It makes the noise for less then 10 seconds and does not matter if it is in park or gear.

The noise seems to be coming from the passenger side.

The wife says she has not noticed any vibration in the steering wheel or brake pedal but is not sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Timing chains will rattle at startup and clear up fairly quickly. The Tensioners go bad and the oil pressure goes away when the car is off. So when you start it up after it sitting, nothing is extending the tensioner for a moment until the oil pressure builds up. Eventually the loose chain at start up will eat through the guides and bad things happen. You have the 4.0? The 4.0 has a rear chain as well as front.

If, this is what it is.

Here is the weird thing. If it is the timing chain, which is plausible, would it not usually make the sound right after startup? Just finished getting more information from the Wife, a lot of the times the noise does not show up for anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes after the truck has started.

Also, it is the 4.6.

Odd, get a stethoscope and try to pin point where the noise is coming from.

Thanks for the ideas Number4. As you can tell have not been on in a while. I spent some more time investigating and it turns out that it was the a/c compressor. I knew that I had a small leak so I had it evacuated and the noise is gone.

Thanks for the ideas Number4. As you can tell have not been on in a while. I spent some more time investigating and it turns out that it was the a/c compressor. I knew that I had a small leak so I had it evacuated and the noise is gone.

I got this same weird ratchet noise after it first starts up and i start to drive. My AC squeaks too...hmmm.

Back