Cracked Fog Light | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cracked Fog Light

Check out post 25 for one possible solution.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2014 Explorer-Replace Fog Light assembly

The fog light lens on my 2014 Explorer has been destroyed. Can anyone give me instruction on replacing the assembly?

Welcome to the Forum arobi142.:wavey:
Using the Forum's 'Search' program I found this thread and merged yours with it.
Good luck.

Peter

Got my https://www.lamin-x.com/Default.asp on order...I picked the yellow ones because I though they may give me the best visibility. And it isn't like every one else's.
Splash guards, roof cross bars and shark fin antenatal...I can pick my 2013 explorer out in Costcos parking lot...

Hi everyone!

When this thread resurfaced - I had to check and sure enough my drivers side fog light is cracked into hundreds of pieces. I called the dealer and was on hold forever. Does anyone have a part # handy?

I will order a lens protector of some sort. Sigh...

Got my https://www.lamin-x.com/Default.asp on order...I picked the yellow ones because I though they may give me the best visibility. And it isn't like every one else's.
Splash guards, roof cross bars and shark fin antenatal...I can pick my 2013 explorer out in Costcos parking lot...

Does the yellow lamin-x make the lights look yellow as well?

Hi everyone!

When this thread resurfaced - I had to check and sure enough my drivers side fog light is cracked into hundreds of pieces. I called the dealer and was on hold forever. Does anyone have a part # handy?

I will order a lens protector of some sort. Sigh...
fordparts.com doesn't break it down to the lens. It shows fog light cover as #5200 . It is my experience that the numbers shown on the site don't always correspond to the numbers that the parts department has. Good luck.

Peter

I must the only party here hoping my fog lights get cracked this winter so I can replace them with a full LED plug-in assembly.

I must the only party here hoping my fog lights get cracked this winter so I can replace them with a full LED plug-in assembly.

lol- I can send you one cracked one.

I finally replaced the cracked fog light, which was $62.00. The local dealerships wanted almost $100.00. Since we have a vehicle on order I have an "in" at the dealership which we ordered the truck from (not geographically close by).

Anyways, I ordered the Lamin-X which should be here next week....for our rides it was $152.00 with the coupon. Not cheap but as a level of insurance it looks like it may be worth the investment. I decided to go through with it when I was at Lowe's - walking through the parking lot another Explorer had a cracked fog..

Does the yellow lamin-x make the lights look yellow as well?

Its a pale yellow, not a rich bright yellow like the yellow fogs you might see
on sportsters using real yellow fogs or combo of lamps and lenses...

It does look unique, for sure noticable when using only yellowed fogs and ambers during the day as DRL....

...wont help your visibility at all;

The film is larger than the installed fog light, they show a vid on their site where you install the film on a fog light that isnt on the car.

So you can wrap the edge of film over the edge of the fog lamp, fully encasing the face all the way past its edge, & fold the edge over.
Then you would reinstall in the car.
The film would likely protect against rocks, road junk and moisture better this way.

If you take time you can install the film while the fog is on the car but its a bi*ch to sit there and kneel down trying to push this thick, sturdy film into the curve of the fog and also avoid/clear air bubbles.
Because it has enough of a diameter to be bigger than the actual fog lamp, you are fighting the curve inside the housing.

They are tough and are removable but its some work-it has 2 tabs and you really need those.
Once you get it dirty or out of shape too much, you are loosing tack and it wont end up flush without air bubbles.
And if you get this all in there perfect with no air bubbles, those tabs are hard to cut off, without scratching the plastic or anything else.

The film must be trimmed before mounting this way 1/8" & pre cut your tabs, get a nice X-acto kit from the art store, you will need it.

Back