• Register Today It's free!

my cracked tailgate trim

guy48065

Reaction score
City, State
se MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Limited 4.6
This week I bought an 04 Explorer... in great condition, but does need some things fixed.
I have an ugly crack in the plastic trim under the rear glass.
How is this piece held in place and is it a junkyard - only item?
1419801613.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's an odd crack. Haven't seen that on an Explorer before......:D

seeing that all explorers/mountaineers/aviators have the same crack, I didn't bother to have it fixed. it's like a finger print, it's unique on every vehicle and identifies that it's FORD (not) TOUGH! crack under pressure.

Mines cracked. Decided I don't care to spend the money on a repair. I can live with a little crack; not so much with mechanical/chassis items.

Well now that I know it's adhered to the glass -- so rust won't result from it -- I'm just going to get a tube of silver rtv and fill it so it won't be so obvious.

I've got a 04 with the same issue, every explorer around that year have cracks, I've looked at them every time I see one, there might be one in the bunch which does not have the crack, I took mine to the local Ford dealership and they told me $180.00, its a known defect but Ford wont do anything about it which is a damn shame.

Well now that I know it's adhered to the glass -- so rust won't result from it -- I'm just going to get a tube of silver rtv and fill it so it won't be so obvious.

tried that and it didn't last since the crack expands and contracts depending on the temp. some forum members here just removed the trim making it all glass.
nice pat on the back for the engineer who designed this.

Back