Best unitized strut assembly for '04? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best unitized strut assembly for '04?

Swamp Fox

Reaction score
City, State
Pee Dee Region - SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT 4WD K-flex 4.0 V6
I have an '04 Ex XLT 4WD. Of what's available what is the best solution in a unitized assembly (strut and spring) going right now for my model truck? I'm looking at the KYB Strut Plus. Any opinions? Thanks for any feedback.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just installed Monroe Reflex strut assemblies all the way around mine. I like them so far. Only have about 100 or so miles on them though. I think it is really what you want and importantly what you are comfortable spending money on. I found a lot of information on here, by just searching and reading the threads. Good Luck

I have the monroes and like them

Any knowledge of the Quick-Strut unit? I looked at the Reflex and they are on my short list.

I went with the Rancho Quick-Lift struts all the way around. Very, very pleased with them so far, both on-road and off. Would definitely buy again.

I went with Monroe Quick Struts. Overall I'm okay with them. Seems to ride like the OEMs with one exception...not as "stiff" on curvy mountain roads. My OEM's springs look like variables and the replacements looks like constants. Variables are not spaced the same between the coils and contants are spaced evenly. The variable springs have a closer spacing between the coils at the top. On my 03 4X4, only the rears were variable. I'm the original owner of my vehicle.

From the pictures posted by other members the coil spacing seems to be even with their replacements. Bigrondo had posted Struttek photos and the spacing looks to be the same as my QuickStrut replacements. I'm thinking perhaps the general replacments are all constant springs.

I didn't know there were constant and variable springs until I read here on this forum.

Back