• Register Today It's free!

gas mileage, tuned

jjl290

Reaction score
City, State
new york long island
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 explorer sport
I have 2014 explorer sport, it is tuned.
I took a trip upstate about 178 miles . On the thru way the cruse control was set at 78 MPH .This was my average speed for well over 100 miles. The ex has about 2200 miles on it . My gas mileage was only about 19.5 .
Do you think this is kind of low. I thought i would get better mileage then this.
Maybe ex is still breaking in and will get better with time.
What do you guys think ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's about what I see with my 14' Sport (not tuned & 5k on the odometer) at around 80. Most of my trips are up and down hills. If I take it south towards Florida where it is flat then I get slightly above 20 mpg at 80.

Thanks 4 the input

With winter blend gas this is probably pretty close to where it should be. Best Ive every got on a trip was 23 and it was flat land.

Fuel economy's biggest enemy is speed.;)

http://www.mpgforspeed.com/

Peter

Part of the reason that vehicles achieve those numbers is to meet US / EU fuel economy ratings, which are not tested at 80mph. Its not that a powertrain can't be tuned to be efficient at higher speeds, its that there's no incentive for a manufacturer to do so. All the vehicles are tuned to achieve the best fuel efficiency at 55 mph, and golly gee, the tests done on those vehicles show that at 55mph the vehicle is most efficient.

Also, none of these sites ever assign a time value to money. If I drive at 65 mph, it will take me 10 hours to make a 650 mile trek, and I consume 29.54 US gallons of fuel. If I drive at 80 mph, I can make the same drive in 8 hrs 7 minutes, and I consume 33.33 US gallons of fuel. With gas at $3/gallon, I paid about 10 bucks, but saved nearly two hours of my life.

I took a trip upstate about 178 miles . On the thru way the cruse control was set at 78 MPH .This was my average speed for well over 100 miles. The ex has about 2200 miles on it . My gas mileage was only about 19.5 .
Do you think this is kind of low. I thought i would get better mileage then this.
Maybe ex is still breaking in and will get better with time.
What do you guys think ?
20mpg driving at 80mph sounds pretty reasonable to be for a 400hp(?) vehicle.

.....Also, none of these sites ever assign a time value to money. If I drive at 65 mph, it will take me 10 hours to make a 650 mile trek, and I consume 29.54 US gallons of fuel. If I drive at 80 mph, I can make the same drive in 8 hrs 7 minutes, and I consume 33.33 US gallons of fuel. With gas at $3/gallon, I paid about 10 bucks, but saved nearly two hours of my life.
The problem is that here the max speed on a highway is 60mph (100 km/h). If stopped doing 80 mph it is a $200 fine plus 4 demerit points and higher insurance costs. Plus time lost on the trip. That doesn't make it worth it for me. Even at my advanced age, two hours is nothing in the grand scheme of life.:) On the highway, I usually set the 'cruise' at 110km/h (68 mph). The police won't pull you over for that.

Peter

Is it a performance , economy, or just the standard tune that came with your programmer?

I guess I am where I should be , with the mileage thing

Yea, you guys are all well above me. @ 30k miles now and I average a steady 17mpg. If I really try to drive for economy it will get up to 21 but I sort of hate life then... So yea i get 17 but that is with quite a bit of traffic and city driving mixed in.

Remember I am talking hwy miles

Remember I am talking hwy miles

Ahh, gotcha. I never much pay attention or reset the mileage meter during HWY driving. Think I will do that today for kicks.

I was averaging 15.9mpg around town. I have moved up to 16.4 mpg after adding the CAI. This is normal driving with the occaisonal hard acceleration for a pass, and short parkway rides staying around 70mph. This also includes some snow mode 4wd over the weekend. Going full out throttle and 80mph avg on the parkway puts me down in the 14mpg avg. if I wanted fuel economy I would have bought a Prius! In my part of NY 93oct is down to $3.09/gal.

I just got gas for 1.87 today! woohoo go Iowa lol. Also I average about 20 in the summer and 18.5 in the winter, but I do mostly highway driving.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your mpg's seem correct. I've done a lot of testing for fuel economy and find the sweet spot is 60-65 if you want to stay with traffic and get maximum mpg's. As mentioned 55 will give you better results, but to me that is too dangerous on a highway where the average is 65-80mph. The best I have got from the XSport is 26, but that was a special tune to see what it could do, driving about 1 hour at 62-65mph.

On the normal performance tune I run, I will average about 23-24 at 65mph or so. 70mph and it starts dropping drastically. Keep in mind, the faster you go, the more drag (rolling resistance and aero), and of course more rpm's, means your engine works harder, runs a higher load, and thus more fuel to maintain your speed pushing through that resistance level.

I personally rarely speed, and I enjoy playing the game of seeing how much fuel economy I can squeeze.

Back