Can anyone comfirm the differences between '15 Sport and Limited? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can anyone comfirm the differences between '15 Sport and Limited?

tywebb1973

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I've gotten conflicting information from two dealers and I won't be able to get to a dealer for a day or two to confirm.

With the Sport, you can't get rain sensing windshield wipers, HID headlamps, auto high beams and folding power mirrors, which are available in the Limited.

But then a dealer told me today that power folding mirrors and auto high beams are available in the Sport. I did a quick search of this forum and didn't seen anything definitive. Seems odd that the Sport wouldn't give you the same options as the Limited, if not more options.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can clear up these questions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might be in the States, and the options and packages available are different in Canada. I got power folding mirrors on my Sport, but the sensing wipers were among the things I wanted, and couldn't order on the Sport.

Essentially a sport 401a and a limited 301a package are the same equipment. A 400a sport is equivilent to a 202a XLT but also adds the power fold 3rd row and tow package.

Looking at the U.S. Ford website, there are only two packages available for the 2015 Sport. They are 400B and 401A. 401A will add the power fold mirrors but there is no mention of 3rd row power fold seats in either package. The Canadian website has just the 400A package which includes power fold 3rd row and mirrors.

Peter

Third row Power-fold seats are standard on US 2015 Sport.

There may be other differences but here goes.

Things only on the 2015 Sport
• Ecoboost V6 twin turbo – 365HP
• Paddle shifters
• Body color door handles
• Stiffer "sport tuned" Suspension: springs, shocks, sway bars, a few extra body stiffeners (Sport sits lower than Limited)
• 20” machined/painted “sport” rims
• Illuminated door sills
• blackout treatment for front and rear lights
• Explorer badging front / rear

A few things you can’t get in the 2015 Sport (available on limited)
• Park assist
• Lane assist
• Rain sensing wipers
• HID headlamps

There may be other differences but here goes.

• Ecoboost V6 twin turbo – 365HP
• Paddle shifters
• Stiffer "sport tuned" Suspension: springs, shocks, sway bars, a few extra body stiffeners (Sport sits lower than Limited)
• Illuminated door sills
• blackout treatment for front and rear lights

A few things you can’t get in the 2015 Sport (available on limited)
• Park assist
• Lane assist
• Rain sensing wipers
• HID headlamps

And 2nd row heated seats available on the Limited but not the Sport.

Also can't get the auto-dimming headlights on Sport.

Also IIRC Sport has upgraded brakes (rotors larger/thicker, and calipers).

Sport also has the tow package standard.

Also can't get the auto-dimming headlights on Sport.

Also IIRC Sport has upgraded brakes (rotors larger/thicker, and calipers).

Sport has the same brakes as the XLT and Limited.

Follow-up to my previous post: As a new 2015 Sport owner, I was curious to learn more about the vehicle …especially the stuff that FORD (for whatever reason) chooses not to promote on their website. Some of this is from Ford website but most from tech articles. I'd really like to see evidence from FORD to substantiate some of these details (double star). Here's what I found.

• Twin turbo with 350 ft-lbs of torque from 1500- 5000 rpm. While both the Sport and Limited can pull a 5000lb trailer, the near flat torque curve of the Sport’s twin turbos will make the job effortless compared to the Limited.
• Functional air intake
• **Dual exhaust to optimize/ minimize Turbo back pressure
• **Quick steering (17-1 ratio ) = 2.7 turns - lock to lock
• **Front brake rotors are 13.9” vs. 12.8” in Limited = 50% increase in thermal mass and a 20% brake fade improvement.
• **Rear brake rotors are 13.6” vs. 12.9” in Limited
• **Sport has a 4-point transmission tunnel brace + the front shock towers are tied together = increased lateral stiffness = better steering response and less tendency for structure born noise.
• **Sport’s terrain management system is calibrated to allow 50 percent of the torque to flow to the rear axle in the conventional dry-road setting. Limited AWD in contrast passes 35 percent to the rear.
• **To handle the additional heat generated by the more aggressive torque distribution, the Sport power takeoff unit is water-cooled (pulls water from the main radiator cooling loop).
• **The Sport suspension is optimized for handling with better springs, shocks, sway bars and bushings.
• **The Sport front suspension is lowered by about 5/8”, and the rear uses new "cross-axis" ball joints to improve cornering response.
• Paddle shifters
• Black trim applied to the roof rack, front fascia, side mirrors and liftgate
• Illuminated door sills
• Blackout treatment for front and rear lights

A few things you can’t get in the 2015 Sport (available on Limited)
• Park assist
• Lane assist
• Rain sensing wipers
• Auto dimming HID headlamps
• Heated 2nd row seats

I've gotten conflicting information from two dealers and I won't be able to get to a dealer for a day or two to confirm.

With the Sport, you can't get rain sensing windshield wipers, HID headlamps, auto high beams and folding power mirrors, which are available in the Limited.

But then a dealer told me today that power folding mirrors and auto high beams are available in the Sport. I did a quick search of this forum and didn't seen anything definitive. Seems odd that the Sport wouldn't give you the same options as the Limited, if not more options.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can clear up these questions.

Everything is in the order guide.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404433

Sport has the same brakes as the XLT and Limited.

Maybe the brakes were upgraded in all of those models in 2015?

I recall that being not clear in their literature, but all I was concerned with at the time I read it was that I would get the upgraded brakes on my Sport.

On edit: I see now that it's just the calipers that are upgraded, and in all models above the entry model. Maybe the rotors were made larger in a previous year...(?) Part of the purpose of going with larger wheels is to allow the use of larger diameter rotors; and bigger is better with rotors ;).

What are the percentage amounts shown in the order guide? Is that the mix the dealers have to stick to when ordering?

I might be wrong but it seems the brakes were all upgraded in 2013 or during part of the 2013 model year.

Peter

Our Sport definitely sits lower than the other models. I have parked it nose to nose with a Limited and there is a 2-3 inch difference.

I might be wrong but it seems the brakes were all upgraded in 2013 or during part of the 2013 model year.

Peter

Bill Gubing, Chief Engineer on Explorer at the time changed all trim levels to the Sport/Police brake hardware. Only difference is pad composition. Reduced plant complexity.

Even down to the calliper piston seals. The Police had high heat silicone and retail had rubber, then he made it all high heat silicone.

Police pad composition is designed more for high heat and durability whereas retail is more concerned with noise then a police pad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdzOohXbtUY

Back