car matchmaker TV show | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

car matchmaker TV show

GSX-WE4

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
14 Explorer Sport
I saw an episode of a show titled Car Matchmaker where a guy selects several vehicles that meet the requirements of a prospective buyer. They test each vehicle and then the buyer maker their choice.

The episode was episode 8 and it was about a guy who has a 5 year old Escalade and wanted an SUV that could work well with him and his dogs. The guy's budget was 80k and his choices were a $80,000+ 2105 Escalade, a $49,000 Explorer Sport and a $65,000 Range Rover. He test drove them all and chose the Explorer Sport!

Interesting because my next door neighbor has a 2015 Escalade that cost nearly 40k more than what we paid for or Explorer Sport and I actually like ours better... really!

It was on the Esquire network and our guide shows it will be on again Saturday at 10:30 cst.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I seen that too! I loved the discussion about the navigation systems. The Ford version was the best of the three. MFT often gets a bad rap (deservedly so at times) but it was much more effective in their example.

Interesting.

Truth be told, the Sport was a last minute, though not under-researched choice that I made. I found out just before signing for my original vehicle that it could not tow (it was a Porsche Panamera S E-hybrid). Every other Panamera model (there are 8 I think) tows what I needed, but not that model; a key piece of esoteric information that the dealer had to contact Europe to find out, which, since towability was my reason for buying, he also knew would break the deal. Its cost was close to 2-1/2 times what my well- equipped Sport cost.

While I understand why they do it (group and compare cars of similar price point), the reality is that it's value, more than price, that counts when many people (not just me) shop for vehicles. Not only did it meet my requirements, but the Sport does stand head and shoulders above other vehicles out there in many respects that I value.

I am also not one to pay a premium to have a fancy badge on the car, but sometimes that is what you must do because the non-luxury badges just don't provide the required features. If the Aviator Sport were offered, that's what would be in my garage right now, but the Sport will do most of the things I need it to do, at any price point. For now.;)

My Company car is an Explorer, but our 'Family' car is an Escalade.

No comparison between the 2 - the Escalade is better in every single category.

In every way except price I would assume.;)

Peter

My Company car is an Explorer, but our 'Family' car is an Escalade.

No comparison between the 2 - the Escalade is better in every single category.

Lol, full-size vs mid size. Two completely different vehicles.

Luxury vs non.

Not knocking the escalade, but I hate the way they look and the price. I'd buy a Mercedes or Audi before a escalade.

Lol, full-size vs mid size. Two completely different vehicles.

Luxury vs non.

Not knocking the escalade, but I hate the way they look and the price. I'd buy a Mercedes or Audi before a escalade.

I agree, they are 2 totally different vehicles - which is why I think it's silly that they were compared in the first place in this thread.

My Escalade is an ESV...there isn't an Audi or Mercedes that compares (in size and volume of cargo/people).

My Escalade is an ESV...there isn't an Audi or Mercedes that compares.

I've driven all three, I'm glad you like it. I don't.

As well, at 30k cheaper, the explorer is competitive and to be honest shouldn't be at that price difference.

The Escalade is pretty nice, but not my style.

The Escalade is a nice vehicle, no question, and the thread is about comparing very different vehicles. An entry-level Escalade will be more costly than even a fully-equipped top-of-the-line Explorer.

But to play devil's advocate here the Ex (Sport) will outperform (acceleration, handling etc) and be better able to avoid an accident for example, than the Escalade, and all with better fuel mileage.

Of course those are priorities that are important to me that are secondary to considerations that others might have.
;)

The Escalade is a nice vehicle, no question, and the thread is about comparing very different vehicles. An entry-level Escalade will be more costly than even a fully-equipped top-of-the-line Explorer.

But to play devil's advocate here the Ex (Sport) will outperform (acceleration, handling etc) and be better able to avoid an accident for example, than the Escalade, and all with better fuel mileage.

Of course those are priorities that are important to me that are secondary to considerations that others might have.
;)

Well heck, with your logic my Dirt Bike is the best of all.

It wins in all the categories you hold dear.

Agreed. And if I can apply "our" ( ;) ) logic then, my street bike will beat your dirt bike in all categories above! ;)

ps. and I've escaped situations with a bike that would have been a guaranteed collision if I had been in a vehicle. The safest vehicle being the one that avoids the collision in the first place.

Probably explains why a motorcycle has been my preferred mode of transportation and commuting for the last 33 years. Just don't like being a "clumsy ox".

:thumbsup:

Agreed. And if I can apply "our" ( ;) ) logic then, my street bike will beat your dirt bike in all categories above! ;)

Well, if we're comparing street bikes...

FullSizeRender-6_zps3b156ac7.jpg

Nice! Whose is it?

Assume it's yours?;)
DSC_1978_zps8275654e.jpg

Here's my latest addition. Looking across Lake Erie, skyline of Buffalo in background.

Yes, it's a Ducati S1000.

The dirt bike is just an old DRZ400

I saw an episode of a show titled Car Matchmaker where a guy selects several vehicles that meet the requirements of a prospective buyer. They test each vehicle and then the buyer maker their choice.

The episode was episode 8 and it was about a guy who has a 5 year old Escalade and wanted an SUV that could work well with him and his dogs. The guy's budget was 80k and his choices were a $80,000+ 2105 Escalade, a $49,000 Explorer Sport and a $65,000 Range Rover. He test drove them all and chose the Explorer Sport!

Interesting because my next door neighbor has a 2015 Escalade that cost nearly 40k more than what we paid for or Explorer Sport and I actually like ours better... really!

It was on the Esquire network and our guide shows it will be on again Saturday at 10:30 cst.

I just wanted to thank you for mentioning this show. We were able to watch all the episodes on demand. My entire family loved it-thanks for adding to the addiction. :D

I just wanted to thank you for mentioning this show. We were able to watch all the episodes on demand. My entire family loved it-thanks for adding to the addiction. :D

Thanks. It is an entertaining show. The host is funny and has a great personality. I also liked episode #1 with the Grand National which is like one of my other cars. I hope they do more episodes of the show.

There used to be a show named "101 Cars You Must Drive" starring comedian Alonzo Bodden. That show was one of the best. Alonzo was super witty and funny. Maybe you can find that on demand or probably even on Youtube. It is worth watching for info about cars and fun.

Back