Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations

With the white stuff on the ground this morning, it was a great afternoon to put the new winter boots on the Ex Sport today. The Ford Interceptor package fit like a charm and should keep us safe through whatever 'Old Man Winter' decides to throw at us! Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1s for the win for sure!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/igy1n6hl13cjlbp/photo 14.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l2ypaj6oik0hgwb/photo 12.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0yegcjnhyb509a7/photo 4.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0zn3dysbdqida1v/photo 8.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9vzeersdb63d8w/photo 10.JPG?dl=0

Darren

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wheel selection?

Shopping for wheels is making me a little crazy... At least it was easy to decide that I want some Blizzak tires and the price difference between 18" and 20" was significant enough that getting the smaller ones is a no-brainer. Was hoping to get some opinions from you nice folks before taking the plunge.

American Racing ATX series AX181 Artillery for $199.99 each at Belle Tire

They look simple but nice on the mock-op photo that the ATX website generated for me:
uZDnlXL.png

Thoughts? These look like they'll be cheaper than Interceptor wheels, which would have been my first choice. What other criteria do you guys factor in when shopping for wheels, or is it all personal preference?

Thanks, from the frozen tundra of Metro Detroit!

I looked at the Blizzak DM-V1, but to me they were not aggressive enough, and the price I got was $166/tire. The Cooper Weather-Master WSC has a more aggressive tread, and I paid $125/tire.

I like them so far, they are quieter than I expected for an aggressive tread, and they ride very smoothly. The first snowfall was no problem, but I'll report on them once we get a significant snow.

..............Thoughts? These look like they'll be cheaper than Interceptor wheels, which would have been my first choice. What other criteria do you guys factor in when shopping for wheels, or is it all personal preference?

Thanks, from the frozen tundra of Metro Detroit!
Did you price the Interceptor wheels in Windsor? Mine were $88 each and the caps were $20 each.
They are much more expensive in the U.S. Another Canadian member paid $85 each.

Peter

Did you price the Interceptor wheels in Windsor? Mine were $88 each and the caps were $20 each.
They are much more expensive in the U.S. Another Canadian member paid $85 each.

Peter

That's... actually a really awesome idea. I saw that those are much cheaper in Canada for whatever reason, but didn't think it'd be worth crossing the border. Now that I just got off the phone with Belle Tire and they quoted me $1,700 out the door *without* TPMS, I may have to re-evaluate.

Guess I'll Google "Ford dealers Windsor" and start making phone calls. If you or anyone else can recommend a particular seller I'd appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Edit: Each wheel is ~$98 USD vs $270 at my local dealer (center caps were quoted at $84 each oddly enough, so I'm not getting those). Only problem is I have to pay in full in person before they'll place the order, so two trips across the border instead of one. Oh well. Totally worth it to save around $400 compared to the wheels I was prepared to buy a few hours ago. Thanks everyone for the feedback. Will post back here with some final prices if anyone's interested.

Sorry, can't help you with any dealers. I'm at the East end of the province. The wheels are less expensive here but we can't match your tire prices.:(

Peter

New Winter Wheels / & Blizzaks

E8D5A4EC-737D-4F3F-996E-6FCA7DDB1BE1.jpg

Better photo from today

95D6EB8A-4904-4EC1-8EF8-E0236EBF1F8C.jpg

Took off my 22's today ,replaced with the ugly stock 20's.

frank

ex20s_zps4274533f.jpg

Greetings all! I'm looking at doing a winter setup for my wifes '13 Limited FWD. We've only had it a few months, purchased it Certified with 17K on it. Love the truck, hate the tires. The Hankooks are garbage in anything but dry weather. Gonna try to get my monies worth out of them thru next year and replace them spring of '16. In the mean time I'm looking at a couple of things. Base Explorer 17's/Hubcaps or a set of factory XLT 18's with winter tires. Leaning toward the 17's for a couple of reasons. Question I have is will I have any issues mounting these on a Limited since at some point the brakes were made larger. Pretty sure its an early '13. Never checked the build date and the truck is not here.

Welcome to the Forum NFKSR.:wavey:
I had 17" base steel wheels and wheel covers for Winter on my 2011 Limited.
Had I gone with the 18" size I would have been able to use them on my 2014 MKT so I would suggest that you do not go smaller than the 18". As far as I know, the 18" Ford wheels I now have will also fit on the 2016 Explorer I'm thinking of getting.

Peter

.... In the mean time I'm looking at a couple of things. Base Explorer 17's/Hubcaps or a set of factory XLT 18's with winter tires. Leaning toward the 17's for a couple of reasons. Question I have is will I have any issues mounting these on a Limited since at some point the brakes were made larger. Pretty sure its an early '13. Never checked the build date and the truck is not here.

I have ford 17" steel rims and Michelin Xice2 P245/65R17 on my 2013 LTD. Check the other posts in the forum. Other have used 17" rims too. I am happy with the solution. It is less expensive than larger sizes. They are smaller in circumference so the odometer and speedometer read a bit more than normal. If you have navigation you need to reset it by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. I tried to find a 17" ford aluminium rim alternative, but couldn't so I went to steel rims.

As a side note, I was surprised at the deal I got from my dealer on tires and rims. They were competitive.

Ford dealers slogan is that they will not be undersold on tires (Costco purchases not included). The BFG Winter Slaloms I bought from the dealer 3 years ago were much less than at the local Canadian Tire Store.
As for having to reset the navigation when changing wheels, I never had to do that with the 2011 Explorer Ltd when I went with 17" nor with my current MKT using 18".

Peter, thanks for your input. Is the only reason for suggesting the 18's over the 17's the ability of using them going forward on a newer vehicle? My reasoning for the 17's is the lower upfront cost for the wheels/caps/lugs (used) and a significant savings on the tires (new). I like the interceptor look but for my wife, not so much! She likes the XLT wheels and is very careful, but I'd rather not have to worry about 2 sets of aluminum wheels. BTW, I checked the build on mine and its 08/12 so I'm assuming I have the smaller brakes.

garyhx, are you running hubcaps with those wheels? Wife is not going for the bare look!

" Is the only reason for suggesting the 18's over the 17's the ability of using them going forward on a newer vehicle? "
Yes, it is. The upfront cost is what made me decide to go with the 17" wheels and tires on the 2011 Limited. I want the covers to give a more 'finished' appearance. At that time I believe there were only 2 brands of Winter tires and they both were in the $400 each range.

Peter

How well do the Interceptor wheels hold up to salty winters? I've had other steelies (different vehicle) and they started to rust after the first winter.

Since I've just had mine installed I can't comment on the Interceptor ones but I used the Base model 17" 'steelies' on my previous 2011 Limited for Winter wheels and after 3 years they were in perfect shape. I also used the wheel covers on them.

Peter

How well do the Interceptor wheels hold up to salty winters? I've had other steelies (different vehicle) and they started to rust after the first winter.

They hold up better than a traditional 'steelie'. The newer steel wheels as well as the interceptor wheels, are painted and sealed to help prevent rust.

If you look at the older style steel wheels, you'll notice that they are rather dull, or matte, in color. The newer ones are glossy, as with the interceptor wheels, because they have a sealer.

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know if the Interceptor wheels have a country of origin stamp/sticker? A local dealer wants $270 so I checked with a dealer in Windsor and their price is $87. I wouldn't have to pay a duty when crossing the border if I can prove the wheels were made in the USA

I would doubt that they do. Check your area scrap yards if they've got any. I have 3 yards in my area and all 3 had them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't see anything like that on the outside (face) of the wheel. Can't say for sure about the inside. Since the Explorer comes from the Chicago Assembly Plant and the wheel is OEM on the Interceptor, I'm guessing that the wheel is made in the U.S. although that may not necessarily be true either since parts can come from all over. I can send the parts manager at my dealership and email to see if he knows where they come from but even if they are made in the U.S. there may not be any indication of it on the wheel.

Peter

Back