2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 41 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

...Dash display showed the "Power Steering Fault". Called local dealer and they agreed to take it at 7:00 am Monday morn, 12-22-14...

I'm glad you're getting this into the hands of your dealership, RETexplorer; be sure to come back and let us know the results of your visit. What's the current mileage on your Explorer? I want to look into ways to assist as well.

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow!! Just had the thrill of steering locking up. Was in a parking lot at the time. I couldn't even begin to 'muscle' the steering. Turning the Explorer off and restarting brought it back to a functional state. Dash display showed the "Power Steering Fault". Called local dealer and they agreed to take it at 7:00 am Monday morn, 12-22-14. Surprised this hasn't happened at speed with someone and no resulting major damage or deaths. I can see it happening on a curve in my dreams now.
Welcome to the Forum RETexplorer.:wavey:
A few have experienced the issue in a parking lot but the majority of occurrences were on the road/highway. There was one post a few years ago where substantial damage did occur but no injuries.

Peter

Explorers from 2011 to 2014 have reported this issue. It doesn't seem to be model specific.

Peter

Explorers from 2011 to 2014 have reported this issue. It doesn't seem to be model specific.

Peter

So it looks like they either fixed it for 2015 or the 2015 models haven't had enough miles put on them to effect them?

I guess that depends on whether you're an optimist or a pessimist. ;)

Peter

Its really the parts that are going bad, with little mileage and no off road or heavy duty use.

The common part thru these models is the steering rack, which ends up being replaced much of the time in this post.

There is a TSB for reprogramming the steering module but is very limited & specific in scope.

All these parts that are failing on new-ish Exs under waranty or, at most-4 going on 5 years old, are failing because they are crap, and the failure rate is something that is still being established.
...although by now they must have some stats on these more frequent issues...
...and this goes for any OEM manufacturer, not just US auto makers...but for sure some are better than others...

Service notes for Steering - 2012 Explorer

Wow!! Just had the thrill of steering locking up. Was in a parking lot at the time. I couldn't even begin to 'muscle' the steering. Turning the Explorer off and restarting brought it back to a functional state. Dash display showed the "Power Steering Fault". Called local dealer and they agreed to take it at 7:00 am Monday morn, 12-22-14. Surprised this hasn't happened at speed with someone and no resulting major damage or deaths. I can see it happening on a curve in my dreams now.

Here's the info my visit to AutoNation Ford, Katy, TX for the steering issue...
Year:2012 Limited
Mileage:46100
Code Status: None in memory : dealer said restarts cleared it
Cause : 14S06 Completed
$$Charge : None

I hope this cures the issue...

Side note...talking to a 2013 owner, it was relayed to me the issues they have experienced. The one item that stood out was the issue of exhaust fumes in the cabin during hard acceleration. I have had that experience in my Explorer and will spend this evening researching the topic. Anyone with any insight and ability to point me in a direction for information...

Here's the info my visit to AutoNation Ford, Katy, TX for the steering issue...
Year:2012 Limited
Mileage:46100
Code Status: None in memory : dealer said restarts cleared it
Cause : 14S06 Completed
$$Charge : None

I hope this cures the issue...

Side note...talking to a 2013 owner, it was relayed to me the issues they have experienced. The one item that stood out was the issue of exhaust fumes in the cabin during hard acceleration. I have had that experience in my Explorer and will spend this evening researching the topic. Anyone with any insight and ability to point me in a direction for information...

If you had the problem once, it will happen again. The recall states if you had the fault, replace the rack. Why didn't they replace it?

Failure of power steering after reprogramming of module

Had my 2011 Explorer in for the recall back over the summer. The vehicle has somewhere around 73000 miles on it now, probably 70k on it then, and the only thing done was to reprogram the control module.

Last week I was driving on the freeway, and messages showed up on the dash saying service power steering, and service advancetrac. The steering assist was still present, but was a bit tighter, and the turn signals would not stay on. i drove home and turned off the vehicle and lost all assist. It was non-functional for two days, and I drove it to the dealer in no assist mode.

The dealer brought it in, said there were a bunch of codes, and that the steering was nonfunctional. They messed around with it a bit, and all of a sudden it started working. They have had my car for a week with no resolution, no apparent solution, even after contacting a Ford techline, and I do not feel it is safe to drive. I would certainly think this would be covered under the recall, but I guess that it may not be because the steering is no longer supposed to completely fail with the new programming and that is supposed to be an OK thing. Any thoughts on what my next steps can be? I cannot believe I may be required to pay for their insufficient engineering of such a critical part. It seems pretty obvious that the same failure occurred that the recall is intended to address, I just got in too early for my recall, so now I may be left holding the bag.

My first Ford ever after being a completely GM guy, and it is not what i would consider making a good impression.

Welcome to the Forum Marors1.:wavey:
The only way to cure this issue is to have the steering rack replaced. This has been mentioned several times in this thread. Many members who have had the 'programing' done eventually had the problem again and had the rack replaced.

Peter

Rack replacement

I have read much of this thread with morbid curiosity. I didn't get much of a read on if Ford was working with them on replacing the rack, or if they ended up shouldering the cost.

I am obviously interested in knowing that to see where I will ultimately stand on the fix.

Thanks for the info PeterK

I suggest sending Crystal (FordService) a private message (PM). She is the Ford Service rep who monitors this forum. You can use this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968

When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Good luck and Happy New Year!

Peter

There should be no reason Ford is not covering this under the recall. As many have said, no way a software reflash will fix a physical hardware defect.

...The dealer brought it in, said there were a bunch of codes, and that the steering was nonfunctional. They messed around with it a bit, and all of a sudden it started working. They have had my car for a week with no resolution, no apparent solution, even after contacting a Ford techline, and I do not feel it is safe to drive. I would certainly think this would be covered under the recall, but I guess that it may not be because the steering is no longer supposed to completely fail with the new programming and that is supposed to be an OK thing. Any thoughts on what my next steps can be?...

Hi Marors1,

As Peter suggested, get in touch with me via PM so I can help. Be sure to include all the info he listed (full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership); I'll get to work as soon as I have your details. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I would note that during my time with my 2011 Explorer, I had six instances of my steering shutting down. One time my car completely powered down simultaneously. Three of the times, I was on the highway. The last time my car powered down, several alerts popped up, then my steering locked up. The time before that, I hit my brakes and the power steering light popped up, steering locked up and brakes did not work. I actually hit the car in front of me. Ford repair said they saw no alerts from that incident. Ford has replaced the steering rack three times and completed a reprogramming. Two of the times they said they did not see any alerts and told me it was my battery. Ford covered replacement of two of the steering racks and the reprogramming. One steering rack replacement occurred right before the first recall came out. They said it was not covered under the recall so I had to pay. Ford is a large company so I find it hard to believe they didn't see the recall coming when I was in with this the first time and then received a recall shortly after. In any case, the last problem occurred on the highway with my kids in the car and I was so tired of ford telling me they didn't see the alerts and problems that I traded it in after their repair department gave it a "clean bill of health." I didn't want it in my conscious when some other family gets the defective vehicle. My advice, get a different car. Good luck and be safe. Travel in the right lane so when your steering does lock up and you cannot steer you can hopefully just put your blinkers on and ride it out like I had to several times.

I would note that during my time with my 2011 Explorer, I had six instances of my steering shutting down. One time my car completely powered down simultaneously. Three of the times, I was on the highway. The last time my car powered down, several alerts popped up, then my steering locked up. The time before that, I hit my brakes and the power steering light popped up, steering locked up and brakes did not work. I actually hit the car in front of me. Ford repair said they saw no alerts from that incident. Ford has replaced the steering rack three times and completed a reprogramming. Two of the times they said they did not see any alerts and told me it was my battery. Ford covered replacement of two of the steering racks and the reprogramming. One steering rack replacement occurred right before the first recall came out. They said it was not covered under the recall so I had to pay. Ford is a large company so I find it hard to believe they didn't see the recall coming when I was in with this the first time and then received a recall shortly after. In any case, the last problem occurred on the highway with my kids in the car and I was so tired of ford telling me they didn't see the alerts and problems that I traded it in after their repair department gave it a "clean bill of health." I didn't want it in my conscious when some other family gets the defective vehicle. My advice, get a different car. Good luck and be safe. Travel in the right lane so when your steering does lock up and you cannot steer you can hopefully just put your blinkers on and ride it out like I had to several times.

Interested in you comment of total power loss, as in total loss. No it was not battery. Mine did it 6 times over three years. It acts like the battery had been suddenly removed from the vehicle, then reconnected ten minutes later. No cause was ever found, but has not happened in two years now.

My wife is finishing up at the dealership right now with the second attempt to fix the recall issue in our 2011 Explorer. I had the fix done about 8 weeks ago after having only one instance of power assist failure in 18 months of owning the vehicle. Since the first fix we've had 3 more instances. I spoke with the tech a few minutes ago and he said they did the same software reset as was done 8 weeks ago. He told me that if the failure occurs again we would be looking at replacing hardware...I forget what he called it but it wasn't "steering rack/column"...and that I'd be on the hook for roughly $1700.

Everything I'm reading here indicates that replacing the steering rack is the next step covered by the recall. Is that an accurate understanding on my part? Should I push that with the dealer if this happens again?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the rack replacement is the only solution. The software fix seems to inevitably result in another failure down the road as has been posted before.
Since this is a known problem, you can try reaching out to Crystal to see if there is anything she can do for you. See my post 814 above.

Peter

Back