IVT Request - Sync 3 Upgrade | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

IVT Request - Sync 3 Upgrade

Maybe I am misunderstanding the severity of the issue. Are there owners of 2011-2015 Explorers that have no HVAC, no radio, navigation, etc. and there is no way to fix it at all?

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Forum Runner

Given the lack of stability of mft there are loss of these functions during times. If MFT reboots while driving (common), then these functions wil be lost or crippled until such time it finishes (8-10 minutes). Navigation is horribly unstable, many times showing the vehicle in the middle of lakes or buildings. Sirius travellink stops downloading data frequently. The radio will regularly not function as expected (usb stops being read, source will reset to am/fm after exiting vehicle, Bluetooth will just stop connecting until you reboot MFT (which subsequently requires a fuse pull or battery disconnect which also causes loss of settings)). And applink, which was promised during the sale and for subsequent years after purchase, was never delivered.

IVT's response whenever there is a problem is to do a master reset. This is akin to restoring your phone, you lose all settings, customizations, etc. some people are doing these resets weekly just to use the system for daily use.

These problems will never be fixed. Ford recognized the current flash based systems is flawed so they abandoned it. We can't replace the radio with an aftermarket one that works, we are stuck. Hence the frustration you are reading about.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've seen guys replace MFT on the Focus with aftermarket units. Is there a reason that can't be done in an Explorer?

I've seen guys replace MFT on the Focus with aftermarket units. Is there a reason that can't be done in an Explorer?

You can replace the standard sync system (without mft), but not mft. I don't beleive you saw this done. Sync is commonly confused with "Sync with My Ford Touch", but they are two completely different systems.

Only thing that is unclear is if aftermarket replacements can really control everything they show, as well as the HVAC in the particular trim level of the car,
and do they use MFT underneath or are entire new head units?

...search and go with quality whenever possible, the link here has items that are great looking because the page is nicely produced...but looks like an amazing unit...

If its good its great, but if the unit cant do what the vendor says then it could be pretty bad as MFT is key for heat/ac/temp/remote start presets...

http://radio-upgrade.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=83

Only thing that is unclear is if aftermarket replacements can really control everything they show, as well as the HVAC in the particular trim level of the car,
and do they use MFT underneath or are entire new head units?

...search and go with quality whenever possible, the link here has items that are great looking because the page is nicely produced...but looks like an amazing unit...

If its good its great, but if the unit cant do what the vendor says then it could be pretty bad as MFT is key for heat/ac/temp/remote start presets...

http://radio-upgrade.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=83

This unit is to replace Sync with MyFord, not Sync with MyFord Touch. This won't work for vehicles equipped with MFT

Given the lack of stability of mft there are loss of these functions during times. If MFT reboots while driving (common), then these functions wil be lost or crippled until such time it finishes (8-10 minutes). Navigation is horribly unstable, many times showing the vehicle in the middle of lakes or buildings. Sirius travellink stops downloading data frequently. The radio will regularly not function as expected (usb stops being read, source will reset to am/fm after exiting vehicle, Bluetooth will just stop connecting until you reboot MFT (which subsequently requires a fuse pull or battery disconnect which also causes loss of settings)). And applink, which was promised during the sale and for subsequent years after purchase, was never delivered.

It's interesting to me how hit and miss these experiences are from vehicle to vehicle. We've had the opposite experience. (2011 with 55K, driven daily) Post the original version (2.11), MFT has been rock solid. No reboots, never did a master reset, navigation has been solid, Sirius Traffic Link has never failed, except when I forgot to update the subscription. BT, phone functionality, voice for Nav input, messages with iPhone 4, 5, and 6 are all consistent. Applink would be nice for Pandora and Waze, but it's not a show stopper. Hardware? Who knows, but I'm sure it is frustrating.

I have both Focus and Explorer, both with MFT.
It is totally possible replace MFT unit (with or without navigation) in Focus with an aftermarket one, because only function you giving up in case with Focus is Voice Commands. All the other features on Focus can be changed without MFT, even HVAC.

Explorer is totally different beast though, everything from HVAC to ambient lighting requires using MFT, it can not be bypassed so easily.

So, in the end, if you are completely pissed off with MFT in Focus, go ahead and replace it. Not so with Explorer...

P.S. well, maybe you give up rear camera on Focus too, but I think it can be worked out...

I'll wait and see what happens, and how the new system works.

If it's something that finally fixes all the problems that have existed over time with MFT, then we can talk about whether or not Ford should be "encouraged" to update existing vehicles.

RedDen;3372364....... All the other features on Focus can be changed without MFT said:
In another thread I posted that HVAC can be operated without MFT. This was based on a post by a member who had experienced MFT failure. I can not verify this since mine has never failed.

Peter

In another thread I posted that HVAC can be operated without MFT. This was based on a post by a member who had experienced MFT failure. I can not verify this since mine has never failed.

Peter

You wil for sure lose heated/cooled seats and access to the rear HVAC controls. I'm pretty sure the only way to turn the rear controls on is in MFT, so I think those would be dead also (maybe if rear control was enabled when MFT goes out, they'll be working).

It looks like the heated/cooled seats will work without the touch screen in the 2016 model. There are now actual buttons shown on the panel for that function in addition to the screen.

Peter

It looks like the heated/cooled seats will work without the touch screen in the 2016 model. There are now actual buttons shown on the panel for that function in addition to the screen.

Peter

That helps a lot for the previous 6 year models.:thumbdwn:

We can all try to candy coat MFT, but in the end, all of us trying the keep this car for a long time will be left holding the bag at some point.

I'm still curious as to what it costs for an APIM and if it's a non dealer replaceable part... I suspect it's not.

Peter

does little help to control climate in the rear of the vehicle...

That helps a lot for the previous 6 year models.:thumbdwn:

We can all try to candy coat MFT, but in the end, all of us trying the keep this car for a long time will be left holding the bag at some point.

I'm still curious as to what it costs for an APIM and if it's a non dealer replaceable part... I suspect it's not.

maybe its time to search for wrecked Explorers and buy couple of units...

I guess that may still be true in the 2016. I guess we'll have to wait and see what exactly the changes are in the new model. Since I'm the only one in the vehicle, I've never used anything except the front vents and the vehicle feels nice and warm after a while. Besides, in the Winter I'm usually also wearing a Winter coat and don't crank up the heat.
Happy New Year Denis. Sunday is supposed to be 10 degress (50F) and rain. Then a flash freeze. Should be interesting.;)

Peter

maybe its time to search for wrecked Explorers and buy couple of units...

It has been quite a while but I thought it was around $70. I did notice that the APIM part numbers have changed.

From what I found, original part # BT4Z-14D212-BB is now replaced with DA5Z-14D212-KA.

I show a discounted cost of about $536 for it.

I'm sure someone will chime in if I have the wrong info.

Just curious what exactly you are looking for in regards to the rear controls? The 2nd row can control everything on their own if you want. The touch screen controls the rear just fine IMO. With 2 kids (4 and 1), I've had no issues with the rear controls.

You wil for sure lose heated/cooled seats and access to the rear HVAC controls. I'm pretty sure the only way to turn the rear controls on is in MFT, so I think those would be dead also (maybe if rear control was enabled when MFT goes out, they'll be working).

I may be misunderstanding what you are trying to say but the rear has full control on the back of the center console. Fan speed and temp..

I may be misunderstanding what you are trying to say but the rear has full control on the back of the center console. Fan speed and temp..

Not if you have the rear controls turned off via the MFT display. If it's turned off via the display and it takes a dump on you, then it's off. I know my kids had no control of the rear when our MFT took a dump and had to be replaced (rear controls was off when it crapped out). The rear controls were dead until the APIM was replaced and I re abode the rear control.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It has been quite a while but I thought it was around $70. I did notice that the APIM part numbers have changed.

From what I found, original part # BT4Z-14D212-BB is now replaced with DA5Z-14D212-KA.

I show a discounted cost of about $536 for it.

I'm sure someone will chime in if I have the wrong info.
It shows as being $650.67 on the Ford parts website.

Peter

Back