What Did You Do To Your 3rd Gen Today? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What Did You Do To Your 3rd Gen Today?

Oh let's see. Since my last post I've put front brake pads on (caught those just in time before the rotors were ruined, BTW), put on a bull bar my son gave me for Christmas, installed some really cheap off-road lights bought from O'Reillys on said bull bar (mostly for looks, I don't really off-road much at all), and I installed some led light strips under the dash that come on with the dome lights. I hate not having enough light... no longer an issue up front now.

Next is to put an led light strip under the front seats to shine some light on the second row floorboard. I'm also going to install small lights in the door map pockets that stay on with the headlights. I saw that on my son's charger and I love the idea.

I'll probably post pictures of all tomorrow evening. The lights in the floorboard are amazing... honestly should be a factory installed equipment imo.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Joe I really like that bumper you fabbed. Any winch plans in the future? A winch would look sweet on that rig, although it looks fine like it is. Especially with the clevis tow hooks.

I changed my driver side head also retimed my engine.

... I installed some led light strips under the dash that come on with the dome lights. I hate not having enough light... no longer an issue up front now.

Next is to put an led light strip under the front seats to shine some light on the second row floorboard. I'm also going to install small lights in the door map pockets that stay on with the headlights. I saw that on my son's charger and I love the idea.

I'll probably post pictures of all tomorrow evening. The lights in the floorboard are amazing... honestly should be a factory installed equipment imo.

Can't wait to see the pics, especially the map pocket idea. Please list the parts and source of the stuff you used.

Also, where did you tap into the dome light? Are you running the foot well lights just when the doors are open, or do they remain on with the timer? Do they come on with the manual switch too? Location and color of the wires you used would be a huge help.

Thanks.

Mike

Joe I really like that bumper you fabbed. Any winch plans in the future? A winch would look sweet on that rig, although it looks fine like it is. Especially with the clevis tow hooks.

The bumper is definately strong enough for a winch i have a weld in hitch reciever i am debateing to put in the front bumper i have seen that config in more than a few forums and like the idea that the winch could be used front or back.

work in progress

oh if you look closely there are already light mount tabs welded in place for some LED's to hang in the loop of course easy enough to cut those off or top mount the lights and put the inch below.

About a year ago I installed third row seating in my 04, this also meant my AMP was removed and in need of being relocated. Today, my AMP was finally reinstalled. It's just a 250 watt Kicker, but with an 8" kicker sub, it sure makes a huge difference on the music.

Umm, went Exploring. :)

BBPics1-4-15032_zps04abc34c.jpg

BBPics1-4-15035_zpsccd50edf.jpg

BBPics1-4-15031_zpsc519884c.jpg

Can't wait to see the pics, especially the map pocket idea. Please list the parts and source of the stuff you used.

Also, where did you tap into the dome light? Are you running the foot well lights just when the doors are open, or do they remain on with the timer? Do they come on with the manual switch too? Location and color of the wires you used would be a huge help.

Thanks.

Mike

The pics aren't great and I haven't cleaned my truck since the install so forgive me, and yes I know I need floor mats...

Joeysphone217.jpg

The interior floorboard lights. They make a world of difference and this picture doesn't do it justice. They come on when the dome is on, whether it's the light switch or opening the doors. Obviously they go off with the dome as well. The wire I tapped into is in the door sill at the drivers door. I removed the kick panel where the e brake and hood latch are, then removed the door sill. In a channel under the carpet there is a large and small bundle of wires. In the large bundle there is a small black wire with a blue tracer. That wire has power every time the dome is on. I found two black wires with blue tracers in that bundle... test with a voltmeter to find the right one.

Joeysphone218.jpg

Map pocket lights. These are easy, I didn't even have to remove the door panel. They come on with the headlights & I used the bulb power on the door lock switches. This didn't turn out quite like I wanted, but not bad considering the ease of install.

Joeysphone219.jpg

I also did this a few months ago. Small bar lights I bought at Walmart for 10 bucks on the inside of the center console. I got power from the lighter plug and wired it to a normally closed push button. When I close the console lid, it hits the button and opens the loop turning the light off. I'm not a huge fan of the ricer blue but it will accent something I plan to do later.

Below is a link to the lights I used on Amazon. You can look around and get waterproof strips for about the same price, as well. It's a 15' roll and you can cut it to length (cut strips after every 3rd LED) and solder your own leads on. The 3M tape on the back works okay if you clean the surface and heat the tape a little with a lighter.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HSF65MC/?tag=serious-20

Good stuff, thanks!

Floor lights: That's definitely a mixed blessing. No hiding messes down there! I could definitely use those in the back seat, the kids are always dropping stuff.

Map pockets: Aren't those distracting while you drive? What's the benefit/purpose?

Console light: Simply BRILLIANT!!!

You're giving me lots of good ideas. There are lots of places in the Explorer and my other vehicles that could use (a lot) more light.

Mike

Cleaned out the garage so I could get the truck in until I fix the sunroof drain.

Finally got a chance to wash my explorer, it's been awhile since last washing. Also changed my oil with royal purple.
10941844_1504263479819374_8860457844053001815_n.jpg

Did a Motorcraft full syn oil change with Lucas stabilizer

Ranger, what did you use to make your homemade roof rack? Bar Stock and a stick welder or EMT tubing?

Also Today was -25 froze my toes and fingers off,

- Changed my Filter and Trans Fluid, dropped the pan

- Undercoated the whole body and frame withRockerguard.

- sway bar links

- Serptintine Belt with new idler pulley

Getting her ready for summer , she's on 260k (KM)

Also Today was -25 froze my toes and fingers off,

- Changed my Filter and Trans Fluid, dropped the pan (3.9l of Mercon V)

- Undercoated the whole body and frame withRockerguard.

- sway bar links

- Serptintine Belt with new idler pulley

Getting her ready for summer , she's on 260k (KM)

Major Headache

So today I had to fix my passenger side window actuator. It went out on Thursday night and I drove 2 hours home from school with it down in below freezing weather. I was not happy. I found a front driver side actuator and I bought it. I just reversed all the parts so that it would fit on the passenger side. It works perfectly but was one hell of a job. Im glad it is over.

Rotated tires

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hood strut, brake job. Might put the quick lift in tonight.

Back